Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ronny through the middle = stifling him, unless they go false #9 on it, as he needs the freedom to do whatever the feck he wants without having to worry about being a "focal point" for attacks. If they just copy something like the barca front 3 system where everyone is constantly moving and none of them have a "position", those 3 players could be devastating if they click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

THFC wrote: »
    Not saying people are wrong in saying it, but it's just funny how in almost 2 months there was almost a collective agreement that Spurs had a better squad than Arsenal, now, due in no small part to Arsenal's amazing run of form, people seem to be of the complete opposite opinion. Just an observation, before someone jumps down my throat.
    Two months ago, spurs had Bale, and Arsenal had neither Ozil nor Flamini. I don't think anyone would've preferred spurs' squad the day after the window shut, besides maybe an overly optimistic spurs fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Two months ago, spurs had Bale, and Arsenal had neither Ozil nor Flamini. I don't think anyone would've preferred spurs' squad the day after the window shut, besides maybe an overly optimistic spurs fan.

100% disagree with that. Spurs have a better squad than arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Well their players aren't showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well their players aren't showing it.

Haven't you heard of the north London power shift?

It's one of those strange power shifts where the so called weaker team always finishes above of the so called better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bale starts

Real Madrid: Diego López; Arbeloa, Varane, Pepe, Marcelo; Ramos, Khedira, Modric; Bale, Di María, Cristiano #LigaBBVA

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Bale starts

Real Madrid: Diego López; Arbeloa, Varane, Pepe, Marcelo; Ramos, Khedira, Modric; Bale, Di María, Cristiano #LigaBBVA

Is that 5 defenders? And no Isco or Benzema? Barca win I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Is that 5 defenders? And no Isco or Benzema? Barca win I'd say.

Yep . Swap Arbeloa for Carvajal though .

Is there gonna be a match thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Kick off at 5 ..why aren't sky showing the start? Instead they show cricket highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

sawfish wrote: »
    Kick off at 5 ..why aren't sky showing the start? Instead they show cricket highlights
    They're starting coverage at 5.15pm.Contractually they're not allowed to show any live football between 2:45-5:15 any Saturday.

Finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Subbed off, totally anonymous.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Subbed off, totally anonymous.

It's the type of game you want your €100million player to perform. Madrid 6 points behind Barca now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hasnt had much game time and still getting used to the league, harsh to judge him yet IMO.

• Advertisement

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

Arsenal have been hit by major injuries (Cazorla, Arteta, Podolski, Chamberlain, Walcott) so far this season, and are top of the league. Spurs haven't, and aren't. Better squad? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Corholio wrote: »
    Hasnt had much game time and still getting used to the league, harsh to judge him yet IMO.

Sod that. For 100 million I'd want someone to perform from the start. The players goin for the biggest bucks shouldn't need bedding in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Sometimes I start drinking early on a Saturday aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

jonny666 wrote: »
    Sod that. For 100 million I'd want someone to perform from the start. The players goin for the biggest bucks shouldn't need bedding in time.

I hope that was sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Neymar didn't have much trouble. Definitely not harsh to judge Bale yet, he did nothing today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Neymar didn't have much trouble. Definitely not harsh to judge Bale yet, he did nothing today.

Inevitably Bale will be compared to Neymar because both moved to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively in the same window, both moved for big money and both are exciting, attacking players. I will say from the outset that I believe Neymar to be the superior player, I think he has far more to his game, however what I will say is that Bale is a good, talented player and, even if he pales in comparison to the Brazilian, it doesn't mean he cant have a good, successful career at Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

Arsenal have been hit by major injuries (Cazorla, Arteta, Podolski, Chamberlain, Walcott) so far this season, and are top of the league. Spurs haven't, and aren't. Better squad? :rolleyes:

So you weren't one of the many on the arsenal thread calling for wengers head after the villa defeat?..there is a reason why arsenal have gone 9 years without a trophy and ozil coming in wont stop that trophy drought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I don't think Bale will be a success. He will improve on today but the fact is that he was bought by Florentino Perez based on hype, not on what the football team needed, which has always been a recipe for disaster. Swapping Ozil for Bale will go down as a terrible transfer decision, but that's what happens when the world's greatest football club is run by an idiot who knows nothing about football and buys purely on hype rather than ability.

Bale will do well at Real Madrid, maybe score 15-20 goals a season, but that's not enough for Real Madrid, or to justify his price tag. Look at Ibrahimovic at Barca - he scored 21 goals in his first season, a decent return but he was considered a failure and was sold immediately. Can't see Bale doing any better. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player who will do well, but not to the level required to please the people and fans at Real Madrid and justify his price tag. He'll be back in the Premier League within 3-4 seasons.

So you weren't one of the many on the arsenal thread calling for wengers head after the villa defeat?..there is a reason why arsenal have gone 9 years without a trophy and ozil coming in wont stop that trophy drought.

There weren't that many, and hell no I wasn't.

What's that reason? No money and having to sell our best players, I think is the main reason, and, well, Ozil coming in seems to signal the end of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The best players can justify there price tags. Ronaldo for what they paid was a snip,look at his goals record its ridiculous.
    Ronaldo didnt need time to bed did he? RVP at united? Ozil at Arsenal?
    Bale is in the deepend now he either swims or sinks. He's at a circus and hes the most expensive performer. And so far his act stinks.

Inevitably Bale will be compared to Neymar because both moved to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively in the same window, both moved for big money and both are exciting, attacking players

Madrid payed twice the price for an inferior player. Neymar will keep getting better as he shines in the WC next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

rob316 wrote: »
    The best players can justify there price tags. Ronaldo for what they paid was a snip,look at his goals record its ridiculous.
    Bale is in the deepend now he either swims or sinks. He's at a circus and hes the most expensive performer. And so far his act stinks.

So far hes coming back from no preseason and an injury. I wouldnt be concerned about his performances yet

Madrid payed twice the price for an inferior player. Neymar will keep getting better as he shines in the WC next year.

Well ye I agree and I also agree that the fee Madrid paid was madness and that in terms of talent and marketability Neymar is far ahead of Bale. I am simply saying that, while I believe Neymar will have the better career, maybe Bale can also have a satisfactory period at Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

miralize wrote: »
    I hope that was sarcasm.

haha not at all.

I did make a mistake tho when I said the players goin for the biggest bucks shouldn't need bedding in time. I should have said the worlds best players shouldnt need bedding in time. Just because a fee is massive doesnt mean you are getting a top player tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

jonny666 wrote: »
    haha not at all.

I did make a mistake tho when I said the players goin for the biggest bucks shouldn't need bedding in time. I should have said the worlds best players shouldnt need bedding in time. Just because a fee is massive doesnt mean you are getting a top player tho!

Yeah agree with you there, price tag should not come into it because Bale had no control over that and of course he will need bedding in time. He had no preseason and has only had two starts, he should be given at least a few more starts to settle in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yeah agree with you there, price tag should not come into it because Bale had no control over that and of course he will need bedding in time. He had no preseason and has only had two starts, he should be given at least a few more starts to settle in.

As well as having to adapt to a new style of play and to learn the traits and tendencies of all of the other players. You'll only get the odd player who will adapt straight away. They are the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think Bale will be a success. He will improve on today but the fact is that he was bought by Florentino Perez based on hype, not on what the football team needed, which has always been a recipe for disaster.
    I won't complain! Suarez was practically begging to be signed by Real over the Summer and it sounds like we would have sold him for £40M. Madrid essentially gave away Ozil and passed up the chance to sign Suarez to get Bale :pac: I hope that club will always be run by clowns :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Well ye I agree and I also agree that the fee Madrid paid was madness and that in terms of talent and marketability Neymar is far ahead of Bale. I am simply saying that, while I believe Neymar will have the better career, maybe Bale can also have a satisfactory period at Madrid.

"Satisfactory" won't cut it though. Not when you pay the kind of money Madrid did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

miralize wrote: »
    So far hes coming back from no preseason and an injury. I wouldnt be concerned about his performances yet

Exactly ,he has been carrying an injury since he moved to Madrid and they idiotically played him in matches when not fully fit ,damaging him physically and mentally.
    He hasnt had a fair crack of the whip yet ,its not fair to judge him so far.

That said I think Bale is grossly overrated and Perez lost the run of himself in his pursuit of an injury prone player that no other club would think about even spending 40 euro on.

Exactly ,he has been carrying an injury since he moved to Madrid and they idiotically played him in matches when not fully fit ,damaging him physically and mentally.
    He hasnt had a fair crack of the whip yet ,its not fair to judge him so far.

That said I think Bale is grossly overrated and Perez lost the run of himself in his pursuit of an injury prone player that no other club would think about even spending 40 euro on.

I dunno about that, these days a decent pair of shoes cost more than 40 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dunno about that, these days a decent pair of shoes cost more than 40 euro.

lol,sorry I meant 40 million euro.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

Whatever about the subject matter of your posts you come across as a very arrogant and self-important person. Makes it very hard to have any sort of debate with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know if anyone saw the interview Fabregas did in The Guardian but some of the things he said in relation to the differences between England and Spain were very interesting.

It makes for fascinating reading with regards the challenges Bale will face:

Fabregas: In England opponents follow you, but if a player comes out to you it is easier to play a quick one-two and go beyond him into space. In a tactical-defensive sense, it is much more calculated in Spain; it's harder to score goals than in England.

Yet the assumption is that the Premier League is harder than La Liga ...

Fabregas: It's complicated, because the English league is more difficult to win but on an individual level it is much, much easier to shine in England. I always thought English football was the best to watch because there are more goals, more chances, more excitement. But now I understand why there are more goals and more chances: it's much more crazy, out of control, everyone attacking, pouring forward ...

Why?

Fabregas: The crowd plays a part. The crowd roar and the full-back bombs forward and then the other full-back goes forward and the crowd noise gets louder and louder. Sometimes in England it feels like you don't have time to think, but that's more a mental question; it's more about your own aggressive intuition, the atmosphere. It motivates you but it means you lose control. In Spain, teams work much more on shape; they're more tactical, more positional. If I see a game in England – I don't miss any of Arsenal's games – I enjoy it. As a spectacle there's nothing better. English football has it's things but it also has a lot, a lot, of virtues.

Was it easy for you?

Fabregas: I wouldn't say that. But if we're talking about someone like Özil, it's a question of space. A Spanish-style footballer, like [David] Silva or Özil, if they can find two seconds to think, will see the pass because there'll be space. You see players like Silva in England and you think: "Bloody hell, how good is he!" A second, space, and there's the pass. In Spain, you're up against a Mario Suárez or a Gabi [both at Atlético Madrid] and what a pain they are! In Spain, reducing space is worked on more. In England, it's fast but you can find that space if you are a good player.

This weekend is the clásico. How do you think Gareth Bale will do in Spain? Will the lack of space you've described be a problem for him?

Fabregas: That's the question, one of the things he'll most have to get used to. A lot depends on how Madrid want to play. If Madrid want the ball, he'll find it more difficult because he won't have the space in front of him; the opposition will close up defensively and sit deep. But if they're not going to have so much possession and they break well, as they did with [José] Mourinho, it'll suit him. Over the last few years, Madrid's opponents have thought: "We've got the ball," they grow in confidence, they move up the pitch and, bang, a counterattack and it's a goal. Bale will enjoy that.

rob316 wrote: »

He's started 2 games and completed none. Not even a lame circus analogy can justify writing him off yet.

• Advertisement

He's started 2 games and completed none. Not even a lame circus analogy can justify writing him off yet.

He's completed none because he was playing bad, so he got subbed off lol.

Pressure must be massive on him given the price tag and club he's at. My brother was at the Madrid derby and at full time Real Madrids fans were giving him stick.

Madrid should have kept Ozil, signed Suarez and they'd be a fairly formidable outfit for the same outlay on a guy who had one good season.

He's completed none because he was playing bad, so he got subbed off lol.

Or because he wasn't near match fit and would never complete 90 minutes, thus not playing up to his capabilities.

By the way, I'm not saying he's going to be able to justify such a ridiculous fee or become the best player in the world, but to be writing him off having not completed 90 minutes and not match fit yet is ridiculous. I think he'll do well at Real once he gets into his stride.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Madrid should have kept Ozil, signed Suarez and they'd be a fairly formidable outfit for the same outlay on a guy who had one good season.

It's scary to think how good Madrid would be if they kept Özil and signed Suarez.

It's scary to think how good Madrid would be if they kept Özil and signed Suarez.

Both are world class.

Bale isn't. He has the potential to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Suarez would suit any team..I'd love Barcelona to sign him, they need players to create something out of nothing or to try an incredulous attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

bales clearly decent but the fee was insane. i'd value him at 30 million but a risky transfer at that.

Inevitably Bale will be compared to Neymar because both moved to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively in the same window, both moved for big money and both are exciting, attacking players. I will say from the outset that I believe Neymar to be the superior player, I think he has far more to his game, however what I will say is that Bale is a good, talented player and, even if he pales in comparison to the Brazilian, it doesn't mean he cant have a good, successful career at Madrid.

It's already retarded though, there's no way that Bale will come out of this fiasco looking well. It'll take several years for him to establish himself in a fairly mediocre kind of way. Thank **** for Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

EdenHazard wrote: »
    bales clearly decent but the fee was insane. i'd value him at 30 million but a risky transfer at that.

He's easily worth 40 million and you could add 10 million to that for his corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

dfx- wrote: »
    Suarez would suit any team..I'd love Barcelona to sign him, they need players to create something out of nothing or to try an incredulous attempt.

Feck off would ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

We might see in January at arsenal

• Advertisement
Advertisement