Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

That's the thing now. Everyone knows that Suarez wants out of Liverpool..if I was arsenal I'd go back in with 50m in jan to unsettle him even more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's the thing now. Everyone knows that Suarez wants out of Liverpool..if I was arsenal I'd go back in with 50m in jan to unsettle him even more...

Liverpool finished 8th in the league last year and Arsenal 4th and were considered rivals. Both are riding high the league right now and you think Liverpool would sanction a sale to Arsenal in January???....Dream on:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Corholio wrote: »
    He's started 2 games and completed none. Not even a lame circus analogy can justify writing him off yet.

Its not an analogy, rm is a total circus. How else can you justify such money on a player like Bale. There was 2 stand out world class players in the epl last year, suarez and rvp and real madrid didnt buy either. Perez fell hook, line and sinker for the media portrayal of him.
    He was great for Spurs last year they would have finished nowhere without him thats for sure.

Better players have failed in that club in recent times like Owen, Snjeider, Robben.

I feel sorry for Bale, his career could be ruined if he doesnt hit the ground soon and he could be back playing in the epl before you know it with the label as the worst football transfer ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If he plays like he did yesterday, hell be getting Champions League at Liverpool

naughtb4 wrote: »
    If he plays like he did yesterday, hell be getting Champions League at Liverpool

He won't and every pool supporter knows that. They will rival Everton for 6th or 7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

He won't and every pool supporter knows that. They will rival Everton for 6th or 7th

I wouldn't rule them out. Nobody besides Arsenal/Chelsea/City will be winning the league, but the remaining CL spot is up for grabs. Pool, Utd and Spurs could all get it, with Pool and Utd marginally more likely than Spurs IMO.

Nobody can tell for sure. There's 9 games gone, it's still mathematically possible.

I wouldn't rule them out. Nobody besides Arsenal/Chelsea/City will be winning the league, but the remaining CL spot is up for grabs. Pool, Utd and Spurs could all get it, with Pool and Utd marginally more likely than Spurs IMO.

How can you rule arsenal in to winning the league and rule the champions out. I understand your an arsenal supporter but please take the tinted glasses off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Oh did you not get the memo? Arsenal are now the best squad in the world due to the signing of a certain German from Madrid.

Didn't think there were actually people that used phrases like

'Did you not get the memo'

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Both are world class.

Bale isn't. He has the potential to be.

But it's not for football reasons.

Bale is marketable. Suarez is better but no way would Madrid fork out the sane cash for a racist bitey buck tooth guy.

Bale is white, British, and really marketable around the world. That's what Madrid are paying for.

Not a hope in hell a black player would go for the same money, regardless of talent.

• Advertisement

Suarez is better but no way would Madrid fork out the sane cash for a racist bitey buck tooth guy.

Classy

Not a hope in hell a black player would go for the same money, regardless of talent.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

gosplan wrote: »

Bale is marketable. Suarez is better but no way would Madrid fork out the sane cash for a racist bitey buck tooth guy.

Bale is white, British, and really marketable around the world. That's what Madrid are paying for.

:confused::confused:

Suarez isint even black? Hes the same skin tone as the marketable ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

lol ridicolous comments there
    what about all the huge NFL & NBA stars who are all black & Tiger Woods

How can you rule arsenal in to winning the league and rule the champions out. I understand your an arsenal supporter but please take the tinted glasses off.

I think Man U won't be able to match Chelsea for just grinding out victories this season.

I don't think Arsenal will either though

MD1990 wrote: »

you couldn't make it up!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The mind boggles :rolleyes:

MD1990 wrote: »

They're not global sports and Woods is an anomaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They're not global sports and Woods is an anomaly.

You're making yourself look silly now. The NBA is global. They play games in London every year and pre-season games on every continent. This pre-season marked the first game in South America and I'm sure that will be a regular thing now.

PS: You should be banned for your opinion on black/brown people not being able to be as successful as a white man. It's really offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

As much chance as him going to Arsenal. Pretty sure if he bagged a hattrick in every game wed compete for fourth ;)

I like Bale and hope he succeeeds, just dont think Ancelotti really knows what to do with Real Madrid at the moment.
    Its not Bales fault they sold Ozil/Higuan to pay for him

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    You're making yourself look silly now. The NBA is global. They play games in London every year and pre-season games on every continent. This pre-season marked the first game in South America and I'm sure that will be a regular thing now.

Sorry but I'm not.

Madrid are looking for the next David Beckham or Christiano Ronaldo. Somebody who doesn't even need to play to make them money.

All I'm saying is that that person won't be black.

You're entitled to disagree.

PS: You should be banned for your opinion on black/brown people not being able to be as successful as a white man. It's really offensive.

Then report me.

What I'm saying is football and its global support has a racist bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lots of bad posting in this thread. Here's reality:

Cristiano Ronaldo 2009 / 2010: 35 Games; 33 Goals; 7 Assists

That's the 'settling in' season standard. Bale will fall short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

This is pretty offensive stuff, and completely wrong-headed. Suarez isn't black for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You really aren't getting his point, are you?

if you think what hes saying is racist then you genuinely don't understand his point at all

Sorry but I'm not.

Madrid are looking for the next David Beckham or Christiano Ronaldo. Somebody who doesn't even need to play to make them money.

All I'm saying is that that person won't be black.

You're entitled to disagree.

:confused:

You think he'll make them much money if he is in and out of the team/playing poorly?

Strange posting

• Advertisement

This is pretty offensive stuff, and completely wrong-headed. Suarez isn't black for a start.

Sorry, no intention to offend.

It's all about marketability. None of it is personal opinion.

Suarez after the World Cup semi, his racist charge, his appearance, his biting incidents, is kind of a global bad guy and that will affect Madrid's valuation.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :confused:

You think he'll make them much money if he is in and out of the team/playing poorly?

Strange posting

What I'm saying is the profit they make from said player won't be linked to CL or domestic prize money.

Christ, am I going nuts here? Did everyone fall asleep and miss Beckhams career or something?

8 points off already, and no direction, and no Fergie, and barely beat Stoke.

Arsenal are a distant 3rd favourites at that, by the way. The glasses aren't very tinted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's just no ****ing way Bale will be worth enough in terms of marketability to offset the ludicrous fee.

It would've been worth far more to them to win the league and and the CL. Suarez and Ozil would've pushed them towards that.

Signing Bale is a step backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Suarez after the World Cup semi, his racist charge, his appearance, his biting incidents, is kind of a global bad guy and that will affect Madrid's valuation.

I agree with you as regards Suarez's market appeal due to questionable character traits. Don't see how equating him as black comes into it? Maybe I misinterpreted the post and there are two separate issues at play.

Ronaldo is one of the most marketable stars in world football and his skin tone is similar to Suarez. The Gillette worldwide campaign featured Woods, Federer and Thierry Henry. Will Smith is one of the biggest box office draws.

I don't think race precludes international appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

AdamD wrote: »
    You really aren't getting his point, are you?

if you think what hes saying is racist then you genuinely don't understand his point at all

I am getting his point. The problem is that his point is 1) Backward, offensive and insensitive and 2) 100% wrong.

Tiger Woods has been mentioned as a marketable black athlete. What about LeBron, Kobe, the Williams sisters, Michael Jordan.. In soccer you have dozens of players just as marketable as a Welsh lad. I could roll off some names, but why not just name one guy of a similar age that also moved to Spain this summer that is even more marketable than Bale. Neymar.

Aside from being racist, the post is wrong. Just because someones skin is a different colour doesn't mean they are worth less to a club.

Gbear wrote: »
    There's just no ****ing way Bale will be worth enough in terms of marketability to offset the ludicrous fee.

It would've been worth far more to them to win the league and and the CL. Suarez and Ozil would've pushed them towards that.

Signing Bale is a step backwards.

Completely but I don't think Madrid think that way.

Not sure about offsetting the fee though. Say he's as productive as Ozil. You've 40 something million to make up. They'd go that no problem.

There was a great piece posted some time ago about Zidane's move to Madrid and how it paid itself back so well regardless of how he did on the pitch.

Can't find it now but was great read.

Also Madrid take half of all rights deals once said player signs. It's also good for the player though cause they can get them great deals in the first place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gareth Bale isn't exactly a sex symbol though, is he?

I agree with you as regards Suarez's market appeal due to questionable character traits. Don't see how equating him as black comes into it? Maybe I misinterpreted the post and there are two separate issues at play.

Ronaldo is one of the most marketable stars in world football and his skin tone is similar to Suarez. The Gillette worldwide campaign featured Woods, Federer and Thierry Henry. Will Smith is one of the biggest box office draws.

It's not Suarez skin tone I was referring to. He's just unmarketable in terms of looks and reputation.

My point is that like Suarez, an African player will never be the next David Beckham.

I am getting his point. The problem is that his point is 1) Backward, offensive and insensitive and 2) 100% wrong.

Tiger Woods has been mentioned as a marketable black athlete. What about LeBron, Kobe, the Williams sisters, Michael Jordan.. In soccer you have dozens of players just as marketable as a Welsh lad. I could roll off some names, but why not just name one guy of a similar age that also moved to Spain this summer that is even more marketable than Bale. Neymar.

Aside from being racist, the post is wrong. Just because someones skin is a different colour doesn't mean they are worth less to a club.

It's not a racist post.

It's a post that says that football is racist.

Gareth Bale isn't exactly a sex symbol though, is he?

Go to Korea or Japan where they have 'British' look shops and you'll see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Suarez skin tone has nothing to do with marketability. His whole handling of the racism scandal was completely wrong and in modern days nobody or no company wants to associate themselves with a racist or someone accused of racism. For a player of Suarez ability he is not very marketable as he makes it very difficult for people to like him or look to him as a role model.

Add to that his list of dives, cheating incidents etc and he becomes a lot of work to market. He's also at that stage where even if he cleans up his act now he'll still be judged in the same manner as he is now. You're not going to buy Suarez for his marketability, you're going to buy him for his undoubted football talent.

Look I'm done with this now.

If anyone thinks that...

A: football is not racist

B: an African or African ethnicity player will be the next Beckham or Ronaldo

You're entitled to disagree with me. You are wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

My point is that like Suarez, an African player will never be the next David Beckham.
    Post reported :pac:

I am kidding, obviously.

Go to Korea or Japan where they have 'British' look shops and you'll see what I mean.

I'm probably not going to go that far to find out what you mean. Are you saying that Bale is unnaturally good-looking or that he's a decent footballer and moderately attractive and white and that combination is enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Look I'm done with this now.

If anyone thinks that...

A: football is not racist

B: an African or African ethnicity player will be the next Beckham or Ronaldo

You're entitled to disagree with me. You are wrong though.

This is true

Asians want to see Asians

Blacks want to see blacks

Whites want to see whites

White countries are rich so it makes white sportsman more marketable

It also goes for modeling and movie stars too

Last point..

No one thinks it odd that the weirdest looking player (Ozil) was the one Madrid let go and that this doesn't make sense for football reasons?

No one thinks it was the blackest member of the Galactico's (Makelele) that was let go and that this didn't make sense for footballing reasons?

It's very naive to think that looks and race don't come into Madrid's thinking.

I'm probably not going to go that far to find out what you mean. Are you saying that Bale is unnaturally good-looking or that he's a decent footballer and moderately attractive and white and that combination is enough?

Young, British, white, image conscious, very talented.

All of those combined to make his record fee.

People that only consider the 'very talented' part will never understand it.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It also goes for modeling and movie stars too

Thank you so much. Never thought of that blindingly obvious point.

Just like Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman are more likely to be best supporting actors in the biggest films.

Last point..

No one thinks it odd that the weirdest looking player (Ozil) was the one Madrid let go and that this doesn't make sense for football reasons?

I agree on this. Ozil, bless him, is no matinee idol and selling him made no footballing sense.
    No one thinks it was the blackest member of the Galactico's (Makelele) that was let go and that this didn't make sense for footballing reasons?
    Makelele himself was not objectively a handsome man (although he certainly did all right for himself) and moreover his role was not one that made the heart of the casual fan beat. I don't see that him being white would make a difference.
    It's very naive to think that looks and race don't come into Madrid's thinking.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you that race can affect a player's marketability but you'd need to provide examples of beautiful, highly talented black players who don't attract marketeers to make the point stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

It's not Suarez skin tone I was referring to. He's just unmarketable in terms of looks and reputation.

Not every Madrid player is signed with marketability in mind, yes they usually have a couple but not everyone. Was Di Maria signed for his marketability? Pepe?

If they did sign Suarez they could offset a lot of the cost by selling Benzema. It just makes so much sense. Probably makes too much sense for Perez to do it.

Henry did a fairly reasonable job of making himself a fortune through marketing. Last I checked, he was black. Zidane was Algerian.

Find the ratio of black NFL players to white.

Then find the ratio of black NFL quarterbacks to white.

Then tell me who's racist.

Henry did a fairly reasonable job of making himself a fortune through marketing. Last I checked, he was black. Zidane was Algerian.

Yes I know.

I'm not saying that a coloured player can't market themselves, just that Madrid won't pay 100 million for one due to global marketing trends.

Edited to include: similarly Madrid couldn't just sign Brad Pitt and stuck him on the bench. The football thing does come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This has gone well off topic so let's get back to Bale playing football with Real Madrid please.

Advertisement