Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mars Bar wrote: »
    This has gone well off topic so let's get back to Bale playing football with Real Madrid please.

Thanks mod. It had indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

gosplan wrote: »
    Yes I know.

I'm not saying that a coloured player can't market themselves, just that Madrid won't pay 100 million for one due to global marketing trends.

Edited to include: similarly Madrid couldn't just sign Brad Pitt and stuck him on the bench. The football thing does come into it.
    They paid more for Zidane, adjusting for inflation.

Edit: Approx €75,000,000, 11 years at 3% per year = €104,000,000

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Find the ratio of black NFL players to white.

Then find the ratio of black NFL quarterbacks to white.

Then tell me who's racist.

2:1 and 1:3 respectively.

I know nothing about AF but presumably the QB is the most important and marketable position. I can't imagine a handsome white guy who cost his team games would be a shrewd investment for a team though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

2:1 and 1:3 respectively.

I know nothing about AF but presumably the QB is the most important and marketable position. I can't imagine a handsome white guy who cost his team games would be a shrewd investment for a team though.

Nope and to get everything back on topic, the fee probably won't be returned unless Bale continues his Spurs form and starts banging them in from outside the box. Winging titles against Barca I think is secondary but he has to start winning them games and scoring well.

All that said, are we not in danger of calling this one a bit early. New team, new league - surely he gets longer to adjust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Bale looked a bit lost in the El Classico, like he didn't even know what position he was supposed to be playing.

He's not like Messi or Ronaldo, who can float where they want and play anywhere. He kinda needs to be put out the left wing.

So while he was poor, it wasn't entirely his fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well, he's on his way out now after that apparently :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Well, he's on his way out now after that apparently :D

179bfbf98858f25d948b6c59ef213e09_pub.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Madrid 2-0 up and Bale has gotten both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That second one will surely go down as an own goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

2 goals, 2 assists. He's finally looking like he belongs there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Moneymaker wrote: »
    2 goals, 2 assists. He's finally looking like he belongs there.
    Finally? Give the fella a break! This is only his third start or something I think. The criticism he's got so far has been a joke.

Pighead wrote: »
    Finally? Give the fella a break! This is only his third start or something I think. The criticism he's got so far has been a joke.

For the money spent an instant impact was expected and he was abysmal in the Classico. I don't agree with the criticism but it was understandable all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

For the money spent an instant impact was expected and he was abysmal in the Classico. I don't agree with the criticism but it was understandable all the same.

He missed all of pre-season, Has had niggling injuries played 7 games (3 starts) scored 3 goals and has at least 3 assists

understandable? :rolleyes:

He missed all of pre-season, Has had niggling injuries played 7 games (3 starts) scored 3 goals and has at least 3 assists

understandable? :rolleyes:

Neymar didn't play much either. He has the had the much greater impact so far.

I'm playing Devils Advocate here.

€100m so the bar is as high as it possibly could be. Messi and Ronaldo are so far above everyone else and have completely re-written the rules now. It is no longer a goal every other game, it's a goal every game now for the superstar players and with the money Madrid spent, Bale is expected to reach that level also.

Neymar didn't play much either. He has the had the much greater impact so far.

I'm playing Devils Advocate here.

€100m so the bar is as high as it possibly could be. Messi and Ronaldo are so far above everyone else and have completely re-written the rules now. It is no longer a goal every other game, it's a goal every game now for the superstar players and with the money Madrid spent, Bale is expected to reach that level also.

Well he has started 3 games and scored 3 goals so he is doing whats expected of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

2 dives for penalties in his last 3 games. Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else find the Madrid v Sevilla game rather unreal?

Sky were trying to tell us it was a classic, that we won't see a better game this season, but maybe I am old fashioned, I know it was 7-3 but for me it was a bit unreal. Both teams generally shocking in terms of structure and ability to perform basic defending. It could have ended up 12-8 or so, and for me thats just not right.

Goals don't make a game great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Oat23 wrote: »
    2 dives for penalties in his last 3 games. Impressive.

I'm a fan of Bale and enjoy watching him play but his diving is horrible to watch. His excuse that he 'thought he was going to pull a leg at me with his leg so as usual I try to avoid contact' is a bit of a joke.

http://t.co/fRHjtoEUeU

Spain suits him with regards his diving as it's more acceptable than in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Spain suits him with regards his diving as it's more acceptable than in England.

Don't know about that; he was never vilified by Sky et al when he was doing it consistently for 2 years. Compare that to the way they hung someone like Suarez for it (although I do recall Gary Neville putting together a clip showing instances where Suarez was fouled but didn't get the free/peno likely as a result of his rep).

He needed those goals the other night to buy himself some time with the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its players like Bale who should be given a 5 match retrospective ban & a rule book for diving. Its disgraceful carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Diving and general move towards a no-contact sport were the reasons I stopped watching football. I'm back watching it again but it is the most frustrating thing about the modern game (and sometimes the over-emphasis on rigid tactics and the manager being being the star of the show).

I'm surprised they don't do everything in their power to remove it from the game but it seems to be the evolution that it will be basically no contact in the future like basketball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Not doing too badly now after getting over his fitness problems and playing a run of games ;)

and he gets another one to make it 2 tonight

Starting to look very much at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Averaging a goal and an assist a game since he arrived which is pretty impressive.

It is a shame he wasn't fully fit for el clasico it would of been nice to see what level he's really at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Fair play to him. I questioned his transfer fee at the time. If he continues to deliver and do well for Real Madrid, then he may end up up justifying the fee. He could be the modern day Welsh version of John Charles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Three goals today, it's 'only' against Valladolid but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

How come the Ultra Sur section seems to be almost empty for the game? Some sort of protest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bale has a similar sort of explosive style of football that Ronaldo has - so I am not at all surprised to see him doing well in La Liga.

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    How come the Ultra Sur section seems to be almost empty for the game? Some sort of protest?

http://www.football-espana.net/38384/madrid-get-tough-ultras

As Real Madrid attempt to get tough with their most radical group of supporters, the Ultras Sur, Dave Redshaw takes a look at the problem.

Real Madrid has always been an institution that has suffered from internal squabbles and political in-fighting, although for the most part it has usually been confined to the boardroom or dressing room. Now, however, Los Blancos have been faced with a fresh problem that has reared its ugly head in recent weeks, namely a civil war that has started to develop among its most radical group of supporters – the Ultras Sur.

As with many European clubs, the most vociferous and at times intimidating fans tend to congregate behind one of the goals, typically leading the singing and waving their flags and banners, while even letting off flares on occasion. More often than not, an arrangement will be in place, endorsed by the club, which entitles them to cheaper tickets, subsidised travel to away games and other benefits. It is the price to be paid for creating an atmosphere inside the stadium that adds to the entertainment for the more reserved or discerning match-goer.

At the Santiago Bernabeu, the southern part of the ground has been home to the Ultras Sur since the 1980s, when they were created as an offshoot of the Pena Las Banderas supporters club. Known for their right-wing politics, they have since developed an alliance with other similar-minded groups, most notably Lazio’s ‘Irriducibili’ fans, and have even been investigated by UEFA for their behaviour.

Having been both embraced and tolerated in equal measure at Madrid in the past, club President Florentino Perez has now warned that he will attempt to put an end to their existence unless their alleged differences are sorted out. It follows the recent home match against Real Sociedad where the space behind the goal the Ultras normally occupy was left empty, with El Confidencial revealing this week that the reason was because some members were prevented from entering the zone by rival factions within the organisation.

Perez, for his part, has now ruled that no Ultras will be permitted to occupy their usual place at upcoming fixtures unless identification is presented alongside a valid match ticket, while the National Police have gone even further by placing themselves on alert before matches in order to prevent violent altercations in or around the Bernabeu.

The conflict appears to have its origins in a struggle between different generations to gain control of the group, with older disciples now finding their power challenged by a younger element known as Los Cachorros – the ‘Young Pups’. It is these new kids on the block that want to sever any perceived collaboration with the club and make the Ultras an even more radical and politicised body. It is a situation that has resulted in club executives having already met with them to try and resolve the issue before it is too late.

Interestingly enough, the authorities are also keeping their eyes on the Vicente Calderon where, despite the intense cross-city rivalry, there are reported links between the hardcore Frente Atletico group and the Ultras Sur. Both bands of supporters are very similar, with matching ideology and political beliefs, and there is also a monetary aspect involved. With cheap tickets available from their clubs, these are often allegedly sold to regular punters at inflated prices, while other financial benefits include selling a large amount of merchandise at the ground and via their online store.

It is a tricky situation for Perez, who understandably would not want to become further embroiled in a dispute with an organisation that could make life very uncomfortable for the average Madrid aficionado.

Nonetheless, unless some kind of punitive measures are taken the tail might be seen to be wagging the dog a little bit too vigorously for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Lennonist wrote: »
    Fair play to him. I questioned his transfer fee at the time. If he continues to deliver and do well for Real Madrid, then he may end up up justifying the fee. He could be the modern day Welsh version of John Charles.

The fee will never be justified. No matter what they win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

YayaBanana wrote: »

Was Ronaldo's fee justified?

Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

madma wrote: »
    Was Ronaldo's fee justified?

Not yet, he won a CL for man united. He needs to do that at Real.

Its a good argument as to whether a player ever repays their transfer fee.

Of course the likes of Ronaldo and Becks brought a lot of money into Madrid, but remember that these guys are also being paid £10m each annually, so add that to their transfer and it would be hard to see how they would ever repay the club, unless of course they helped win 3 or 4 CL finals in their time there.

If all these players, I'm talking about the entire squad, at the very top clubs we all repaying their fees and wages, then surely they would all be making healthy profits, whereas none of them are. In fact most top clubs are in debt to their eyeballs, so I don't think its nonsense at all to say they will never repay their fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Find the ratio of black NFL players to white.

Then find the ratio of black NFL quarterbacks to white.

Then tell me who's racist.

I read a study about this and the conclusion was that the ratio of black:white quarterbacks was about what would be expected considering the demographics of the USA and people who play NFL. However black people are over-represented in the NFL as a whole. So it's not a racist thing.

On-topic, fair play to Bale for the hat-trick, but he will always be second to Ronaldo when Ronaldo is on the pitch. Many players are great at being the main man at their clubs, scoring a lot of goals because being the main attacker they see a lot of the ball; but struggle when they join Real Madrid and Barcelona, when suddenly they are no longer the main man in the team. Modric and Kaka were the same. I think the same will happen to Bale as long as Ronaldo is fit. Good to see him take advantage when Ronaldo is out though.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Nonsense

How is it nonsense? €100m for the transfer fee plus roughly another €100m in wages for the duration of his contract. It will never be justified. And Real Madrid didn't spend the money thinking that it would make sense either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

How is it nonsense? €100m for the transfer fee plus roughly another €100m in wages for the duration of his contract. It will never be justified. And Real Madrid didn't spend the money thinking that it would make sense either.

They win x amount of La Liga's and CL's and it'll be justified.

Maybe not from an accountants perspective but when you look at the record books all it will have is "RMCF Champions 20XX". You don't get trophies for making money or breaking even, I know that more than most as an Arsenal fan.

Would you say Ronaldo justified his transfer fee and wages?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Would you say Ronaldo justified his transfer fee and wages?

I wouldn't. What are his 200 goals worth? All he has won is 1 La Liga title and 1 Copa del Ray? He has probably paid a lot, if not all back in jersey sales, but Bale won't sell the same amount of jerseys as Ronaldo or Beckham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I wouldn't. What are his 200 goals worth? All he has won is 1 La Liga title and 1 Copa del Ray? He has probably paid a lot, if not all back in jersey sales, but Bale won't sell the same amount of jerseys as Ronaldo or Beckham.

That's a myth really regarding shirt sales, a club like real madrid only make about 2m a season from this, obviously excluding what adidas pay them

Out of interest though, I looked it up and their annual revenue has increased by €40m per season since ronaldo signed. While this obviously encompasses broadcasting as well as match day and commercial revenues, I'd be interested to see how much they attribute to having signed ronaldo as oppose to someone like David Silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

LiamoSail wrote: »
    That's a myth really regarding shirt sales, a club like real madrid only make about 2m a season from this, obviously excluding what adidas pay them

Out of interest though, I looked it up and their annual revenue has increased by €40m per season since ronaldo signed. While this obviously encompasses broadcasting as well as match day and commercial revenues, I'd be interested to see how much they attribute to having signed ronaldo as oppose to someone like David Silva

From the day he signed until 2010, 1.2 million "Ronaldo 9" jerseys were sold in Madrid alone.

Even if they were €50 quid a jersey which they aren't, I've been to Madrid and a Ronaldo 9 jersey was €70 last time I went, that's still €60,000,000 in sales, Real would take a good percentage of that, and that's just in Madrid.

I think it's safe to say that Madrid have definitely earned back the fee they paid from jersey sales , I wouldn't be surprised if they doubled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

From the day he signed until 2010, 1.2 million "Ronaldo 9" jerseys were sold in Madrid alone.

Even if they were €50 quid a jersey which they aren't, I've been to Madrid and a Ronaldo 9 jersey was €70 last time I went, that's still €60,000,000 in sales, Real would take a good percentage of that, and that's just in Madrid.

I think it's safe to say that Madrid have definitely earned back the fee they paid from jersey sales , I wouldn't be surprised if they doubled it.

Firstly, I assumed ronaldo referred to cristiano? The figures I posted above related to him anyway, as oppose to Brazilian ronaldo

While €50 x 1.2m does indeed equal €60m, design, manufacturer, supply and retailing all have a cost, while those pesky Germans at adidas probably want their cut two, given they pay so much for the clubs kit contract

Clubs only see between two and four euro per shirt sold, other then those sold in the clubs own store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1 la liga and 1 copa del ray... Its all the cause of one tiny argentine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Firstly, I assumed ronaldo referred to cristiano? The figures I posted above related to him anyway, as oppose to Brazilian ronaldo

While €50 x 1.2m does indeed equal €60m, design, manufacturer, supply and retailing all have a cost, while those pesky Germans at adidas probably want their cut two, given they pay so much for the clubs kit contract

Clubs only see between two and four euro per shirt sold, other then those sold in the clubs own store

When Ronaldo first came to Madrid he wore the number 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Not yet, he won a CL for man united. He needs to do that at Real.

Nonsense. He doesn't have to tick any boxes for Real. He's arguably the greatest player in their history. He certainly will be undisputably in a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well this has worked a treat so far this season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

He's done well, but I don't think he'll ever justify the price tag. Nobody could, really, when there's Ronaldo taking so much of of the plaudits. Not his fault at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Still don't think he's worth 20m more than Ronaldo, and even his return in his first season at Real doesn't match up to Ronnie's, but fair play to him. Not easy for a British player to go to possibly the biggest team on the planet with that fee and hype on his shoulders. He's done well.

He's done well in what would always have been a difficult 1st season, considering he arrived unfit and not over an injury.

We'll see the best of Bale next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement