Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Used to be a band called Pop will eat itself, I think Football will.

Fans will have enough of it all paying a small fortune in ticket prices, the camel's back will break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

vicwatson wrote: »
    Used to be a band called Pop will eat itself, I think Football will.

Fans will have enough of it all paying a small fortune in ticket prices, the camel's back will break.

Imagine a camel playing football.....that would be mental.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is he gone yet:rolleyes:

Deal to be announced tomorrow apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Been a fan of Bale since he broke onto the scene in 2006. Met him in Southampton when he was still our left back and the next big thing on our production line.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that he would be moving for that kind of money, even though he has been one of my favourite players to watch over the past 6 or 7 years. It's absurd. Football is eating itself and has become a joke. Super-rich clubs that buy their success (or at least try to) through money earned off the backs of their fans, who continue to swallow the product. I've nothing against supporting a team, buying a jersey and going to see them play however often you can, but the thoughts that a player can earn the same in a month than many fans earn in their lives is ridiculous.

At what point does this spending become unsustainable? Surely we are way, way past that by now.

Real Madrid will now have the "honour" of having paid four of the top eight most expensive transfer sums in the history of football (Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo and Bale) and yet they haven't been the best team in Europe in 12 seasons now, and have played second fiddle in Spain to Barcelona since the turn of the century. They have debts that most companies would surely consider quite significant, and yet the FFP that has been introduced has done nothing to slow them down.

My own club broke their club record fee for a foreign striker with huge disciplinary problems in the past, despite the fact that we came close to extinction in the last few years (ironically, having to sell some of the Bale clauses to keep ourselves afloat). I just can't subscribe to it any more. I'll watch it, fine, it's a great sport to bring people together in this country, and sometimes tear people apart, but there's no way in hell I'll be putting my money towards it in future.

keith16 wrote: »
    Imagine a camel playing football.....that would be mental.

No sorry, I was referring to the saying the straw that breaks the camel's back..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've said this before on her but perspective is a wonderful thing.

If Bale does go for circa £100m as muted; then thats 1/4 of what Tottenham are worth as a football club in their entirety.

One player. Worth a quarter of a Premiership football club. Let that sink in for a minute.

No sorry, I was referring to the saying the straw that breaks the camel's back..:rolleyes:

Oh, no problem at all.

I was referring to actual camels playing actual football and how mad that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

cson wrote: »
    I've said this before on her but perspective is a wonderful thing.

If Bale does go for circa £100m as muted; then thats 1/4 of what Tottenham are worth as a football club in their entirety.

One player. Worth a quarter of a Premiership football club. Let that sink in for a minute.

It's half again what villa we're sold for in 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Clubs are making more money than ever. It's not that big if a deal. Bergkamp to Arsenal was bigger than this fee as a percentage of turnover.

I don't think he's near worth it though. Great work from Spurs to negotiate such a colossal fee.

• Advertisement

Spanish football is going to destroy itself.

Barca and real would be looked after by uefa... Super league would be set up at a moments notice if it looked like there was a collapse on the cards in spain

Oh, no problem at all.

I was referring to actual camels playing actual football and how mad that would be.

Oh right, well that thought in itself is quite mad dont you think

Clubs are making more money than ever. It's not that big if a deal. Bergkamp to Arsenal was bigger than this fee as a percentage of turnover.

I don't think he's near worth it though. Great work from Spurs to negotiate such a colossal fee.
    Clubs are also in more debt than ever, and its growing all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

COYVB wrote: »
    Clubs are also in more debt than ever, and its growing all the time

Not Real Madrid, technically.

Not Real Madrid, technically.

Ah sure when you've an interest free infinite overdraft to call on from Banco de Espana you're laughing.

Oh right, well that thought in itself is quite mad dont you think

You were the one who said, and I quote "fans will soon be happily paying to watch 22 camels grunt their way through 90 minutes (and extra time / penalties if required)"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

COYVB wrote: »
    Just thinking about it, this deal should prove a good yardstick to measure how good the Premiership is when compared to La Liga. Obviously Barca and Real are a class above the rest, but if Bale goes and scores 25-30 goals this season you'd have to consider that, outside the top 2, it's a bit of a mickey mouse league

On the pitch it isn't. Teams across Europe wouldn't be looking to pick their player up otherwise - Soldado, Llorente, Amorbieta, Falcao, Ozil, Di Maria, Isco, Cissokho, Fabregas, Everton were even looking for a reserve player in Deulofeu.

Off the pitch you can argue, you can argue that for most big leagues.

dfx- wrote: »
    On the pitch it isn't. Teams across Europe wouldn't be looking to pick their player up otherwise - Soldado, Llorente, Amorbieta, Falcao, Ozil, Di Maria, Isco, Cissokho, Fabregas, Everton were even looking for a reserve player in Deulofeu.

Of course, they other side of that coin is that so many "tier 2" Spanish clubs (ie not barca or real) are so badly off that they are having to sell these playerys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ah sure when you've an interest free infinite overdraft to call on from Banco de Espana you're laughing.

This nonsense is a figment is Barcelona's imagination.

Real make far more each year than they will ever need to cover their repayments.

Financially, their debt means next to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Seaneh wrote: »

Real make far more each year than they will ever need to cover their repayments.

Their debt is 5% of the clubs 2.1 billion valuation.

I think people look at Madrid's spending and make it up in their minds that they are a big corrupt, nearly bankrupt, football club when in reality Real can afford the players they are buying, they can afford to break the world record fee 4 times, maybe even 5 with Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I remember my mind being blown, when United signed Keane for £3.75 million back in 1993. Now this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Madrid always find a way to awe people. This is why they are footballs greatest ever club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Its just another extreme of the money in football, one in a long line of extremes. I remember reading an article on peoples reactions at the time how they thought a million for Trevor Francis was economically and morally wrong, this is just the furthering of that. People complaining about how rotten the football world has got, it's been rotten for quite a long time, before Bale was even born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Spanish football is going to destroy itself.

its the Spanish royal family that bankroll Real M - given the amount of hardship in Spain, suffered by so many - I can not understand how any fan can get hoodwinked/excited by a 94 million player, who lets face it, is hardly Messi /George Best or Maradonna

Seaneh wrote: »

Fair enough. I don't doubt commercially and otherwise RMCF are near the top of the tree; but the money they spend and pay players (Kaka especially, should resonate with yourself - €65m and circa 200k per week) is quite frankly insane. And there's no way the likes of Ronaldo and Bale are self financed through shirts or whatever. A facility exists as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't make sense otherwise - and numbers in business is my career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oh, no problem at all.

What level would a camel be capable of? Even just a one off, messi camel? An ever present in the shamrock rovers first team? Maybe a fringe spurs player? Or really top level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I remember my mind being blown, when United signed Keane for £3.75 million back in 1993. Now this.

The record in 93 was 13m . 20 years before that it was 900 odd grand. So 20 years on from 93 the record being 7.5 ish times what it was isnt that outlandish really, especially with the money floating around now in comparison.

Fair enough. I don't doubt commercially and otherwise RMCF are near the top of the tree; but the money they spend and pay players (Kaka especially, should resonate with yourself - €65m and circa 200k per week) is quite frankly insane. And there's no way the likes of Ronaldo and Bale are self financed through shirts or whatever. A facility exists as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't make sense otherwise - and numbers in business is my career!

If numbers in business is your career then surely you understand the idea of healthy debt, in that, if your projected earnings and the companies total value is x amount and debt is y amount, then it doesn't really matter.

Not having a go or anything, but if you look at Real's income and the value of the clubs total assets and then look at the debt when compared to those figures and do the math on how much they'd have to pay back per season compared to the insane profits they make every year, then it's easy to see that the debt really is nothing to them in the medium-long term.

And Káká was just bad luck, how were they to know he'd end up injured for most of his time there so far? He was, when they signed him, the in form player in European football for several seasons and had just had his best ever Serie A season with 16 goals and 9 Assists and scored 97 goals in 270 games for Milan in his 6 seasons there. It looked like a big fee at the time and even bigger now but he was one of the biggest names in the game and had just dominated the 2009 Confederations Cup.

Káká, at the time was worth far more than bale is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kaka had horrendous injury problems before his move that Bale isn't lumbered with. Doctors said he'd be lucky to walk again at one point, never mind play football. Even with several years football under his belt following this, it was still a risk to take on an injury ravaged player.

It was a stupid to pay that much for him and people said so at the time even without hindsight. It was one of those bonkers transfers similar to the Eto'o / Ibra swap deal and the Andy Carroll transfer. They happen occasionally.

Kirby wrote: »
    Kaka had horrendous injury problems before his move that Bale isn't lumbered with. Doctors said he'd be lucky to walk again at one point, never mind play football. Even with several years football under his belt following this, it was still a risk to take on an injury ravaged player.

It was a stupid to pay that much for him and people said so at the time even without hindsight. It was one of those bonkers transfers similar to the Eto'o / Ibra swap deal and the Andy Carroll transfer. They happen occasionally.

He had one major injury when he was a teenager which he has totally recovered from and is completely unconnected to his current issues. He was told he was lucky he wasn't paralysed, not that he would be lucky to walk again, he never lost the ability to walk. he was a 27 year old ballon d'or and FIFA world player of the year winner comming off the back of one of his personal best seasons. He was only ever going to move for big money.
    His transfer fee, at the time, was no more ridiculous than Figo's or Thuram's or Vieri and in hind site far less ridiculous han Torress or Veron or Robinho and buttons compared to Mendieta.

If anything, at the time, it looked like decent business that they'd signed Káká for €26million less than they paid for Ronaldo and only €13 more than City paid slave traders for Tevez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

he aint worth €50million, let alone over €100million.

insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It's mad Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you're worth what people will pay unfortunately.

i wouldn't pay it though.

Spurs potentially getting Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela and Willian with the money is a pretty damn good trade off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

SlickRic wrote: »
    you're worth what people will pay unfortunately.

i wouldn't pay it though.

Spurs potentially getting Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela and Willian with the money is a pretty damn good trade off.

Don't forget Capoue. He's looking like the bargin of the lot at only £12M (or what that €12Meuro)? Either way, a snip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Provided this goes through, along with Lamela and Willian, it has easily been the best transfer window that I can remember. I think most Spurs fans can even acknowledge that Bale isn't worth that, but Levy has always gotten clubs to pay over the odds for his players.

One things that I'm not buying however, is that Bale will be a dud. Not a chance imo, he's a well grounded individual and has already overcome significant setbacks in his career. People are also forgetting his development over the past few years, he may not be worth the figures quoted, but he is easily worth £50m. He's only just turned 24 and he's on the back of league season in which he scored 21 goals, a lot of which were top quality and were also important. He will thrive at Real, imagine the space he'll get with Ronaldo in the same team :eek: Nailed on success imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It's just another definition of a panic buy. Not last-day scamper-to-find-anyone panic, but its classic Perez. Wants to brute force his way to the top with audacious signings. Given that he still has a fantastic subs bench, I don't get it. If there are problems with results, its the teams fault, he's not missing a Bale type figure. There must be a common denominator that was resulting in poor morale, and Bale wont help with that/

They won La Liga 2 seasons ago, the Copa the year before, & to be perfectly honest and even as a Barca fan, thats not good enough for Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Real are just having an aul roar, and why not? Is it not what the biggest lion in the jungle is supposed to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Real are just having an aul roar, and why not? Is it not what the biggest lion in the jungle is supposed to do?
    its more to do with Barca getting Neymar
    Real offered him huge money but he chose Barca
    99m for your 2nd choice is unbelieveable money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

with Spain in such turmoil Madrid just rub it in everyones nose there with this over the top transfer fee for someone who goals missing for a couple of months each season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not Bale's fault Real are offering a stupid amount of money for him. The way some people are going on, you'd think he did something wrong. He's not worth 90+ million (no one should be worth that much), but he showed last year what he's capable of, and could do really well for them. As a Spurs fan, i'll be sad to see him leave, but the money looks like it's being reinvested pretty damn well, and if we get Willian or Lamela, the squad will have improved massively.

He's apparently pushed for a move behind the scenes, but he's made no public announcements, or interviews where he moans about not being allowed to leave. He's gone about it in the proper way as far as i'm concerned. Certainly didn't come off as bad as others this transfer window.

Ah come on. Nani isn't anywhere near Bale's level, at least not by last years standard.

I think you'll find he was talking about Di Maria being being on the same level as Nani, in context of him moving to united :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

For me I couldn't believe the fee Betis paid for Denilson at 26m. This takes it to another level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

About 3 months ago my son and I were discussing when do you think you'll see the first €100m transfer ...

My Son : 2014
    Me : 2017

... can't believe Bale almost became it this year :confused:

To those saying "he's not worth 50 million".

In fairness, he probably is, especially in this market. When you look at the prices some players moved for this summer 50 would have been a good price for bale, even 60 wouldn't have looked like bad business.

The price he seems to be going for though, is silly money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Poor Gareth, being forced out of the best league in the world.

Wait...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems Chelsea are hijacking the Willian deal, so Spurs aren't doing business until they can
    agree a deal for another target.

That's what the radio tells me anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bale is worth what Real are willing to pay for him not his fault it is such a large transfer fee.

I also think that if Ronaldo was going now to Real instead of 4/5 years ago he'd be worth well over 100m transfer prices are just inflating massively every year.

I don't think it is fair to compare Bale and Ronaldos transfer fees because of it.

Also didn't someone in Russia bid 250m for Messi activating his transfer fee but he obviously didn't want to go there so it kind of puts into perspective the difference in value between the players.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Seems Chelsea are hijacking the Willian deal, so Spurs aren't doing business until they can
    agree a deal for another target.

That's what the radio tells me anyway.

I'd be very surprised if the Bale deal wasn't agreed weeks ago with RM. No way TH are spending this type of money without the knowledge that the Bale money is coming

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if the Bale deal wasn't agreed weeks ago with RM. No way TH are spending this type of money without the knowledge that the Bale money is coming

Oh it'll go ahead, just might be delayed a bit more because of this

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Would there be financial implications if he stayed at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

We're seeing the equivalent of the building sector bubble before our eyes.

Now when the next Messi or Ronaldo comes along, i.e the absolute pinnacle of a footballer at the time and it is time to sell, guess what? They'll say "Well Bale was bought for €100m, we want €150m" And so it will continue until the bubble bursts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement