Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

Keno 92 wrote: »
    We're seeing the equivalent of the building sector bubble before our eyes.

Now when the next Messi or Ronaldo comes along, i.e the absolute pinnacle of a footballer at the time and it is time to sell, guess what? They'll say "Well Bale was bought for €100m, we want €150m" And so it will continue until the bubble bursts.

It's nuts.

A team about to pay €100m for a player but are over €500m in debt last I heard. Something not right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's nuts.

A team about to pay €100m for a player but are over €500m in debt last I heard. Something not right there.

Real Madrid are basically backed by the Spanish Government. They are given mental TV rights deals and plenty of tax breaks and loopholes.

They are too big to fail (and they know this) and most of their debt is held with the local banks. The banks are not going to force Madrid to pay up and the whole thing is a big social and political farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's nuts.

They can obviously afford it, just as an example Liverpool paid 10m for Mignolet with a debt of 87m. It's the same thing but with larger numbers, considering Real's revenue it means nothing.

Madrid paying a fee that's 17% of their debt and Liverpool paying a fee that's about 12% is the point I'm making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He's a superb player, is he absolutely needed? No. Madrid would be better off trying to find a world class number 9 instead, with Benzema woefully inconsistent and Morata still developing.
    Is he worth the money? No. There is no way that you can tell me that Bale is worth 60 million pound more than Angel Di Maria, I'm not even that convinced that there is that big a gap between the two in terms of quality. When you consider that Barca bought the more talented Neymar (whose marketability is so much greater than the Welshmans) for 25 million pound or so less then it really puts the move into perspective.
    Will he be a success? Yes. Probably not a rousing success in his first season where he will have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo but once Ronaldo moves on (maybe 1 or 2 seasons time) he's the perfect replacement. Maybe wont reach the statistical heights of Ronaldo but certainly a worthy replacement.
    Are Spurs getting a good deal? Yes and no. They've bought well this summer. Had they spent the Bale money on Willian, Lamela and 1 more player then I would have said definitely yes, but it seems they've missed out on Willian and I'm not sure how many players of that quality and class could now be bought this late in the window and how many of those few want to join Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

A stage has been built above the press area at the Bernabeu.

article-2401019-1B6DE445000005DC-257_634x449.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Nailz wrote: »
    A stage has been built above the press area at the Bernabeu.

article-2401019-1B6DE445000005DC-257_634x449.jpg

That's a giant bus that crashed into the stadium. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

That's a giant bus that crashed into the stadium. :rolleyes:
    RAMOS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would not walk on top of that...looks dodge.;)

Looks like a cage for a monkey. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

miralize wrote: »
    Would there be financial implications if he stayed at this stage?

I doubt it would hurt Spurs to keep him . The new TV deal for the EPL should mean they will be ok . They might have to borrow money in the short term though .

• Advertisement

I doubt it would hurt Spurs to keep him . The new TV deal for the EPL should mean they will be ok . They might have to borrow money in the short term though .

Levy to borrow money? Oh I don't think he'd like that headline... :pac:

Joe Lewis gave them 50m interest free for 10 years. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ah he would make them sign confidentiality clauses knowing saint levy .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Real Madrid are basically backed by the Spanish Government. They are given mental TV rights deals and plenty of tax breaks and loopholes.

They are too big to fail (and they know this) and most of their debt is held with the local banks. The banks are not going to force Madrid to pay up and the whole thing is a big social and political farce.

I cannot believe people still spout this ****e in the year 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Seaneh wrote: »
    I cannot believe people still spout this ****e in the year 2013.

Don't bother responding you'd only have to do it yet again after another 50 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Phoenix wrote: »
    Have you links to disprove it??

You have links to prove it?

People are making claims based on half truths and hearsay. It's bollocks.

The burden of proof tends to fall on those making a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

They are not given TV rights deals. They negotiate them. They are the must popular team in Spain, they get s really good TV deal, makes sense given how TV rights works in Spain.

Also, find me some of these mental tax breaks and loopholes?

They are the biggest football club in the world, thus they have loads of revenue and assets and can borrow loads against their huge revenues. That's how business works. If you have lots of assets and revenue, you are able to borrow loads. I'm not even certain their debt is as big as claimed, but it wouldn't matter if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Seaneh wrote: »
    You have links to prove it?

People are making claims based on half truths and hearsay. It's bollocks.

The burden of proof tends to fall on those making a claim.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/exclusive-real-madrid-under-investigation-amid-allegations-of-illegal-state-aid-8557550.html

From the article:
    The allegation against Real is that their transactions with Madrid city council, dating back to a 1996 agreement between the two parties, constitute illegal state aid under article 87 of the Treaty of the European Community. It is alleged that the council hugely overestimated its debt to the football club in order that the former could give Real the prime city-centre land they require for their new development.
    It will be difficult to definitively prove any wrongdoing, but the allegations are there. These allegations have been around for a long time, you are trying to make out there is nothing in it. I don't think it's too much of a stretch of the imagination to say there is a mutual benefit for Madrid as a City and Real Madrid as a football club to look out for each other's interests.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-barcelona-blast-fee-as-gareth-bale-flies-to-spain-ahead-of-100m-real-madrid-move-8783407.html

Barcelona's coach Gerardo Martino describes the Bale transfer as disrespectful:
    “Bale is a good player but the numbers that are being talked about; it is a lack of respect for the world we live in.”

I agree with him. Daft money has been spent in football for many decades now but this Bale transfer takes the biscuit.

There is no way on footballing terms or image terms that Bale is worth anything near the reported price tag. It's a stupid transfer that may have repercussions and lead to other inflated transfers. There should be a law against this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

But €60million for Neymar is OK?

No I don't think it's ok but in the world of football transfers Neymar's deal makes a bit more sense both in terms of footballing ability and image/merchandising potential.

The Bale deal, even when viewed in the context of the world of football transfers, is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Lennonist wrote: »
    No I don't think it's ok but in the world of football transfers Neymar's deal makes a bit more sense both in terms of footballing ability and image/merchandising potential.

The Bale deal, even when viewed in the context of the world of football transfers, is nonsense.

If a club is willing to meet a club's valuation of a player, it's none of Martino's business. If the deal makes sense to the buying and selling clubs, good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Where did he say it was ok? I don't think he was asked about the Neymar price tag. Also im pretty sure that deal was well wrapped up before he took over there.

If a club is willing to meet a club's valuation of a player, it's none of Martino's business. If the deal makes sense to the buying and selling clubs, good for them.

It makes no sense no matter what way you look at it. It's a stupid deal which could lead to other stupid deals, I think it's everyone who is involved in football's business.

• Advertisement

Not at all. Bale has proven he can be the best player in one of the best leagues in the world, something Neymar has yet to do.

Neymar will never be fully dedicated to whatever club he's with - he'll be travelling half way across the world on a consistent basis to play for Brazil and will be returning to whatever club he's at tired and weary after a summer spent in the World Cup or Copa America. These aren't issues that Bale's club are ever going to have to deal with.

I don't understand this crap about it being bad to spend so much money on something just because some people are struggling for money.

Bale is an asset of Tottenham. Madrid are giving Tottenham money for that asset. That's all there is to it.

Now, it's fine to say you don't think he's worth that much. But nonsense about how "no player is worth that" or "no person is worth that" is failure to understand basic economics.

It is not a moral issue in any way, I don't understand people making out that it is.

Not at all. Bale has proven he can be the best player in one of the best leagues in the world, something Neymar has yet to do.

Neymar will never be fully dedicated to whatever club he's with - he'll be travelling half way across the world on a consistent basis to play for Brazil and will be returning to whatever club he's at tired and weary after a summer spent in the World Cup or Copa America. These aren't issues that Bale's club are ever going to have to deal with.

:pac: Do you really think Bale is worth anywhere near the price tag being bandied about?

Martino is 100% correct to call them out on this. Everyone in the game should denounce this monumentally stupid and financially dangerous transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Course it is, Barca are more then a club.

:pac: Do you really think Bale is worth anywhere near the price tag being bandied about?

Martino is 100% correct to call them out on this. Everyone in the game should denounce this monumentally stupid and financially dangerous transfer.

Why denounce it? If you dislike Madrid and think they're overpaying, be happy that the clubs real worth has gone down (ie, they're losing more than they're gaining). How is it dangerous?

• Advertisement

I don't understand this crap about it being bad to spend so much money on something just because some people are struggling for money.

Bale is an asset of Tottenham. Madrid are giving Tottenham money for that asset. That's all there is to it.

Now, it's fine to say you don't think he's worth that much. But nonsense about how "no player is worth that" or "no person is worth that" is failure to understand basic economics.

It is not a moral issue in any way, I don't understand people making out that it is.

I'm talking about within the context of the world of football transfers - not in moral terms - that's a different argument. In the context of the world of football transfers this is a particularly nonsensical deal that could have repercussions.

Tata came months after Neymar. Fair enough, he represents Barcelona. Perhaps its an insight to how he feels about Neymar too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Why are people trying to argue the ethics of a transfer?

Turnovers in football are going up, what do people expect to happen as a result?

I'm talking about within the context of the world of football transfers - not in moral terms - that's a different argument. In the context of the world of football transfers this is a particularly nonsensical deal that could have repercussions.
    What repercussions? Spurs will improve their value, Madrid will decrease in value. What other repercussions could there be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I look forward to Barcelona being morally thoughtful in the amount they spend in future years so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I just think this whole 'people are struggling' is a bit rich and self-centered; when any other transfer has gone through, people have been dying from hunger - a bit more severe than not being able to afford sky sports HD because of the recession...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Bale has the 'potential' to be worth it...he'll have to raise his game again to see if he really is a 'Great'.(like Messi, Ronaldo) Playing for Spurs wont give a player a chance to play against top Champions League teams every year.

Also Ronaldo will have maybe 2/3 years at the very top lvl ... has said will finish his career at Real. So 94mill is planing for the future when Ronaldo wont be 1st choice.

Have to laugh listening to ManU fans, thinking cause Madrid are about to spend 94m on Bale they somehow have to sell players etc....so that means 'Ronny' is coming back to United :D :rolleyes: LOL... Real have money and can spend it, ManU do not**, and while u have the current american owners there wont be any 80m+ cheques** written.

A player is worth what someone is willing to pay for them, no more, no less.

Martino is sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong and is a hypocrite because his club are just as guilty of extravagant spending. Waffling on about the morality of a transfer from the position of authority at a club who spent €60million on one player.

What's the 'financial danger'? Madrid have the cash, Tottenham have the player. So Spurs get to splash it around and bring in a few quality players, that's no more 'financially dangerous' than anything else in the modern game.

What repercussions? Spurs will improve their value, Madrid will decrease in value. What other repercussions could there be?

What I'm getting at is that this deal is so far out of whack within the context of the world of football transfers and current market values in terms of ability and merchandising potential, that it could lead to a false bubble in the market generally.

What I'm getting at is that this deal is so far out of whack within the context of the world of football transfers and current market values in terms of ability and merchandising potential, that it could lead to a false bubble in the market generally.

How?

Teams will bid what they value players at. That's how it works. They won't base their own situation on what PSG and Real do.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Why are people trying to argue the ethics of a transfer?

Turnovers in football are going up, what do people expect to happen as a result?

Turnovers are going up at the top of the game, so I expect transfers and wages to rise in line with that. Of course that it impacts negatively on the mid to low end of the game should never come into consideration.

Turnovers are not going up across the board in football.

Have to laugh listening to ManU fans, thinking cause Madrid are about to spend 94m on Bale they somehow have to sell players etc....so that means 'Ronny' is coming back to United :D :rolleyes: LOL... Real have money and can spend it, ManU do not**, and while u have the current american owners there wont be any 80m+ cheques** written.

For a start Ronnie has longer then 2/3 years left at the top injury permitting, he is in incredible shape and looks after himself so well he will have more then 2/3 good years left.

Now, onto the main, course United have money, only an idiot would think otherwise looking at the money coming into the club and don't bother harping on about the debt as that is now under control and at an acceptable level, also in all fairness we have never actually stopped spending. Go through the figures yourself though cause I cant be arse

Now tell me, where are all these United fans who think Ronaldo is coming back?

Point one out to me, just one regular contributor to the Man United thread who believes Ronaldo will be coming back if Bale heads out

Neymar went for what, 52 million? He's not taking transfer fees to the next level like the Bale transfer is.

kryogen wrote: »
    Turnovers are going up at the top of the game, so I expect transfers and wages to rise in line with that. Of course that it impacts negatively on the mid to low end of the game should never come into consideration.

Turnovers are not going up across the board in football.

Ah yes, the likes of Real Madrid should stockpile money for the greater good of professional football! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Neymar went for what, 52 million? He's not taking transfer fees to the next level like the Bale transfer is.

Just because its a lower fee means it doesnt fall under the same moral or whatever compass is the latest?

Of course its crazy money, but 50 million is hardly reasonable either, or anything near it.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ah yes, the likes of Real Madrid should stockpile money for the greater good of professional football! :rolleyes:

Well done on shifting focus. Brilliant as usual

How?

Teams will bid what they value players at. That's how it works. They won't base their own situation on what PSG and Real do.

If Bale is priced at 100 million euros, then other clubs will increase the price tag on their players. Brendan Rodgers said something along those lines in relation to the price on Suarez' head and he's right. Suarez is as good a player as Bale (different type obviously) in my view.

The Bale deal could lead to an entirely false readjustment in the transfer market, that could have repercussions, because a false economy is never a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

because a false economy is never a good thing.

It's a fine thing, if you're a "Mr 10%" aka an Agent.

kryogen wrote: »
    Well done on shifting focus. Brilliant as usual

Usual tripe from you but I'll let you get back to talking about the ethics of a transfer that hasnt happened yet! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Football fans trying to act as economists. Hilarious.

Go back to watching Vincent Brown lads and foaming at the crotch when they have Joe Higgins on.

Advertisement