Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I hope Real Madrid go bust.

They are paying way too much money for Bale.

Its madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

mikeym wrote: »

Its madness.
    mo money mo problems
    Biggie was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

mikeym wrote: »

Its madness.

Stereotypical football fan post. .

They are level in terms of transfer deals this summer. Spending 100 million is nothing to the worlds greatest football club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Rumours they will announce the deal Tuesday and Bale has flown to Spain.

Didn't Balague say it would be announced after Rauls match on Friday or something no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dempsey wrote: »
    Usual tripe from you but I'll let you get back to talking about the ethics of a transfer that hasnt happened yet! :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's your problem champ, your too _____(fill in the blanks) to follow simple threads, my response was to you falsely claiming that turnovers are going up in football in a general sense.

Mine was a simple rebuttal, not discussing the ethics of the transfer at all. Just pointing out you posting ****e, as usual.

You do make good use of that rolleyes button, always in the appropriate place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

They are level in terms of transfer deals this summer. Spending 100 million is nothing to the worlds greatest football club.
    It's certainly not nothing. If it was Real Madrid would be using it to lower their debt.

Are ye level? Who else has left other then Higuain?

Anyways, spending 100 million is a big deal, regardless of who you are, but I would agree that's its less of a problem to Madrid then it would be to many clubs, how can that amount of money be justified though for Gareth Bale?

Its defenders needed more then anything!

Edit: Just checked it out, you are not level, but have only got a net spend of about 7 million pounds which isn't bad at all, I would still expect someone to be shifted on to help balance the books if Bale does go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Football fans trying to act as economists. Hilarious.

Go back to watching Vincent Brown lads and foaming at the crotch when they have Joe Higgins on.

You don't understand the thread of the discussion do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

kryogen wrote: »
    Are ye level? Who else has left other then Higuain?

Anyways, spending 100 million is a big deal, regardless of who you are, but I would agree that's its less of a problem to Madrid then it would be to many clubs, how can that amount of money be justified though for Gareth Bale?

Its defenders needed more then anything!

Edit: Just checked it out, you are not level, but have only got a net spend of about 7 million pounds which isn't bad at all, I would still expect someone to be shifted on to help balance the books if Bale does go through

Roughly 70 million in and 70 out. I can't link it as I am on my phone.

Callejon, Albiol and Pedro Leon have raised near 30 million. Higuain 40

Roughly 70 million in and 70 out. I can't link it as I am on my phone.

Callejon, Albiol and Pedro Leon have raised near 30 million

Here you go

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/real-madrid/transfers/verein_418.html

any chance you could loan us Casemiro for the season actually?

9303d1b8b5704cfe60aea59f3a7ac03b.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rumours they will announce the deal Tuesday and Bale has flown to Spain.

Didn't Balague say it would be announced after Rauls match on Friday or something no?

Balague is a Sky-humping idiot at this point, wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Lennonist wrote: »
    If Bale is priced at 100 million euros, then other clubs will increase the price tag on their players. Brendan Rodgers said something along those lines in relation to the price on Suarez' head and he's right. Suarez is as good a player as Bale (different type obviously) in my view.

The Bale deal could lead to an entirely false readjustment in the transfer market, that could have repercussions, because a false economy is never a good thing.

Clubs will want as much as they can get for their players, as before, and clubs will pay no more than they're willing to, as before. Madrid buying Bale will have no big impact on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yeah, that's your problem champ, your too _____(fill in the blanks) to follow simple threads, my response was to you falsely claiming that turnovers are going up in football in a general sense.

Mine was a simple rebuttal, not discussing the ethics of the transfer at all. Just pointing out you posting ****e, as usual.

You do make good use of that rolleyes button, always in the appropriate place :)

So turnovers everywhere are completely static? Not even changing with inflation?

You really love any opportunity to jump on a soap box!

Dempsey wrote: »
    So turnovers everywhere are completely static? Not even changing with inflation?

You really love any opportunity to jump on a soap box!

I have already answered your erroneous post.

you expect me to do it again because you cant read? That would be silly, now Im done with this, thread is getting de railed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Seaneh wrote: »
    I cannot believe people still spout this ****e in the year 2013.

Yeah, fuck me for questioning things in football when there are clear indications of wrong doings and mutiple investigations by the EC and one going on currently.
    They are not given TV rights deals. They negotiate them. They are the must popular team in Spain, they get s really good TV deal, makes sense given how TV rights works in Spain.

Also, find me some of these mental tax breaks and loopholes?

They are the biggest football club in the world, thus they have loads of revenue and assets and can borrow loads against their huge revenues. That's how business works. If you have lots of assets and revenue, you are able to borrow loads. I'm not even certain their debt is as big as claimed, but it wouldn't matter if it was.

You can choose what word you want for the tv deals. It is still crazy to see they received €140m from TV last season while Granada got €12m. While I have no problem the best teams receive more for TV deals, the gap in La Liga is a disgrace.

Real Madrid are a non-commercial organisations, yet in 1990 the Spanish government required all teams in La Liga to become limited. RM along with three others were allowed to continue as a not-for-profit organisation for "historical reasons". They are reaping huge amounts of tax benefits from corporation and property tax.

The European Commission are, for a second time, conducting a four-year investigation into allegations of illegal state aid for the club. The same club who are also under scrutiny for a land deal with Madrid city council dating back to 1996 which many believe constitutes illegal state aid

Now they are spending over £90,000,000 on a player while the country has an unemployment rate of 26 per cent and youth unemployment of 50 per cent.

Clubs will want as much as they can get for their players, as before, and clubs will pay no more than they're willing to, as before. Madrid buying Bale will have no big impact on that.

Madrid paying 100 million euros for Bale will cause a significant readjustment in the market and it will be a false readjustment, because Bale is not worth anything near that sort of money. There has been big money deals in the past that were crazy deals, but this is way off the scale and could have repercussions.

I have already answered your erroneous post.

you expect me to do it again because you cant read? That would be silly, now Im done with this, thread is getting de railed

My post wasnt 'erroneous' and it was on the topic being discussed. If this thread is being derailed its by you jumping on your soapbox and then posting this bolloxology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes you are correct the TV deal Real and Barcalona have are a disgrace

Pisses me off people seem to see Madrid as the bad guys and Barca as the good, both are as bad as each other

naughtb4 wrote: »

Pisses me off people seem to see Madrid as the bad guys and Barca as the good, both are as bad as each other

Is La Liga going to do collective bargaining in the future or has that being shelved?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

miralize wrote: »
    It's certainly not nothing. If it was Real Madrid would be using it to lower their debt.

Real's debt when compared to their value and turn over is actually smaller than Barca's. So maybe you'd be better off looking closer to home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I think Real are looking at how marketable Bale is, hence the huge fee. He has that Beckham or Ronaldo celebrity quality about him. He'll be a good earner off the pitch for them.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I think Real are looking at how marketable Bale is, hence the huge fee. He has that Beckham or Ronaldo celebrity quality about him. He'll be a good earner off the pitch for them.

Do you think so? I don't see him in the same bracket as them tbh, maybe Im wrong, any wimmin here can tell me how attractive he is? The accent wont help him sell stuff you wouldn't think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

OctavarIan wrote: »

He is not on the same planet of Ronaldo or Becks in regards to footballing talent nor marketability.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    He is not on the same planet of Ronaldo or Becks in regards to footballing talent nor marketability.

This is my take on it, he isn't as good as Ronaldo talent wise, and he isn't as marketable as Becks for anything off field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Do you think so? I don't see him in the same bracket as them tbh, maybe Im wrong, any wimmin here can tell me how attractive he is? The accent wont help him sell stuff you wouldn't think?

Eeeew no - he hasn't evolved much from a monkey and that's just the truth, not trying to be mean.

Beckham is all round well sculpted while Ronaldo is fit from the neck down. If they want someone who'll be marketable to women look no further than Oliver Giroud...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Eeeew no - he hasn't evolved much from a monkey and that's just the truth, not trying to be mean.

Beckham is all round well sculpted while Ronaldo is fit from the neck down. If they want someone who'll be marketable to women look no further than Oliver Giroud...

Everyone should have a little bit of manlove for Olly Giroud.

In all honesty, he scored some frankly frightening goals this season

I don't like the idea of him going to RM, mainly because of the things he can do though :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I actually think that if Real play him off the right with ronaldo off the left and benzima through the middle they will be near unstoppable.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I actually think that if Real play him off the right with ronaldo off the left and benzima through the middle they will be near unstoppable.

Until they come to the Camp Nou :)

• Advertisement

Madrid paying 100 million euros for Bale will cause a significant readjustment in the market and it will be a false readjustment, because Bale is not worth anything near that sort of money. There has been big money deals in the past that were crazy deals, but this is way off the scale and could have repercussions.

**** you're repetitive. I've said I agree he was overvalued, and you've said about 5 times it could have repercussions without explaining what those are.

You think teams are going to want more for their players as a result, but why would other teams be more willing to pay those fees? The only reason will be if they think they're getting value. That is independent of Bale. Bale being sold for this much is a symptom of the increased money in the game which of driving up fees. It won't drive fees up itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

'Bad as each other'. Come off it!

Supporters of English clubs that come out with stuff like this are just jealous nobody from the Premier League can come close to the pulling power of the two big Spanish giants even with oil clubs with bottomless pits of funds.

Thats on La Liga management. it would be silly for the clubs as it is structured right now, not to negotiate the best deals possible. Its not ideal and I hope it changes, but football is about money and those two are the most effective in generating it.

Supporters of English clubs that come out with stuff like this are just jealous nobody from the Premier League can come close to the pulling power of the two big Spanish giants even with oil clubs with bottomless pits of funds.

That's debateable

And they are as bas each other, they have the TV money sown up between them, it is an incredibly unfair deal in comparison to the one in England.

The climate has something to do with the pulling power also you would think, the language particularly for the Latin based players.

Drivel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I actually dont have a problem with either, i just dont like people badmouthing Real while everything that gets levelled at them such as the TV money, spending money when broke etc, is applicable to both.

Its the system and not the clubs that have caused the TV rights, and its easy to see why they wouldnt want to give them up

**** you're repetitive. I've said I agree he was overvalued, and you've said about 5 times it could have repercussions without explaining what those are.

You think teams are going to want more for their players as a result, but why would other teams be more willing to pay those fees? The only reason will be if they think they're getting value. That is independent of Bale. Bale being sold for this much is a symptom of the increased money in the game which of driving up fees. It won't drive fees up itself.

I'm repetitive?, you keep coming back saying the same thing. You don't seem to understand that the market will shift. Bale's transfer is out of whack and others will just point to this transfer and look for more money as well, creating a false bubble in the market.

Take Suarez for example, why would Liverpoll sell Suarez for 40 million if Bale sells for 94? Suarez is as valuable a player as Bale - all things considered including his disciplinary record. Can't you see it will drive his price up, unless there is a buy out clause or he's near end of contract. If Bale is worth 94 million, Suarez should be worth the same and all other players values would increase exponentially.

• Advertisement

I'm repetitive?, you keep coming back saying the same thing. You don't seem to understand that the market will shift. Bale's transfer is out of whack and others will just point to this transfer and look for more money as well, creating a false bubble in the market.

Take Suarez for example, why would Liverpoll sell Suarez for 40 million if Bale sells for 94? Suarez is as valuable a player as Bale - all things considered including his disciplinary record. Can't you see it will drive his price up, unless there is a buy out clause or he's near end of contract. If Bale is worth 94 million, Suarez should be worth the same and all other players values would increase exponentially.
    Didn't you see nobody actually bought Suarez? His value is what they can get for him, and that didn't go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Didn't you see nobody actually bought Suarez? His value is what they can get for him, and that didn't go up.

Thats because he was never up for sale at any price.
    Well maybe 94m would do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

No it won't. It might cost Spurs more to buy players because everyone will know they have the money but it won't change the price of Rooney, Suarez or any one else. People can point to the Neymar transfer, the Gomez transfer, the Cavani transfer, the Falcao transfer, the Tevez transfer and any other number of transfers this summer, it doesn't make a difference. Just because Madrid bought a player for a massive price, which they do basically every year or two, does not mean it will create a bubble; the bubble is already there anyway, this won't make any difference. Players are simply worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

jive wrote: »
    It might cost Spurs more to buy players because everyone will know they have the money .

That money has been spent. I'm convinced 100% that the Bale deal was done over a month ago and was kept quiet so that Levy could quietly go about buying half a dozen players which conveniently add up to around 100 million so as not to get gouged. It was pretty bloody clever and I'd expect nothing less.

This transfer window it would have been "Aren't you selling bale? We want an extra 10 million". "Bale? No he's staying. This is all we have to offer."

Next season will be "You got all that bale money last time out, you can afford to go the extra mile" "The bale money? Ah, sure that was spent last season!" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kirby wrote: »
    That money has been spent. I'm convinced 100% that the Bale deal was done over a month ago and was kept quiet so that Levy could quietly go about buying half a dozen players which conveniently add up to around 100 million so as not to get gouged. It was pretty bloody clever and I'd expect nothing less.

This transfer window it would have been "Aren't you selling bale? We want an extra 10 million". "Bale? No he's staying. This is all we have to offer."

Next season will be "You got all that bale money last time out, you can afford to go the extra mile" "The bale money? Ah, sure that was spent last season!" :P

If that worked beyond the first two clubs Spurs attempted to buy players from there are some seriously stupid people working in important positions for some clubs.

• Advertisement

Well its worked so far. Look at who they have purchased so far in Capoue, Soldado, Chadli and Paulinho, at who they nearly got in Willian, and who they look likely to get in Lamela.

Have they overpaid hugely for any of them? Look at the prices they went for. They look to have gotten good value. You could perhaps make an argument for a million here or there but there is no outrageous mark-up anywhere. For example, Chelsea bought Willian for the same price as Anzhi bought him.....which was basically what Spurs offered. No mark-up or Bale inflation there.

So yes, it has worked with a number of clubs.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well its worked so far. Look at who they have purchased so far in Capoue, Soldado, Chadli and Paulinho, at who they nearly got in Willian, and who they look likely to get in Lamela.

Have they overpaid hugely for any of them? Look at the prices they went for. They look to have gotten good value. You could perhaps make an argument for a million here or there but there is no outrageous mark-up anywhere. For example, Chelsea bought Willian for the same price as Anzhi bought him.....which was basically what Spurs offered. No mark-up or Bale inflation there.

So yes, it has worked with a number of clubs.

Capoue, never heard of him so was never going to command a massive fee. 12m isn't cheap.

Soldado - Paid the release fee. Valencia wouldn't accept less.

Chadli - Who? once again.

Paulinho broke their transfer record (which they have broken 3 times this summer is it?)

Not bargains by any means.

Capoue, never heard of him so was never going to command a massive fee. 12m isn't cheap.

Paulinho broke their transfer record (which they have broken 3 times this summer is it?)

Just because your uninformed about players, doesnt mean the fees paid for them are not worth that amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Stunning logic there. If you don't know who they are, how do you know they weren't cheap?

miralize wrote: »
    Just because your uninformed about players, doesnt mean the fees paid for them are not worth that amount.

Not many would know Chadli or Capoue. And I don't think any club would command a bigger fee than what they paid for them. i.e What would be seen as a spurs tax for Capoue, up to 15/20 million? That's the type of money Fellaini will be sold for.

Not many would know Chadli or Capoue. And I don't think any club would command a bigger fee than what they paid for them. i.e What would be seen as a spurs tax for Capoue, up to 15/20 million? That's the type of money Fellaini will be sold for.

:confused: But spurs didn't pay 15/20 million...... They paid less than 15 million for both players combined. You seem to be confused. And fellaini will likely go for north of 25 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Capoué was bought for £9m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Keno 92 wrote: »

He is a better player than Beckham. I say that as a Beckham fan.

Pj! wrote: »
    He is a better player than Beckham. I say that as a Beckham fan.

But he is not as marketable as Becks, brand Beckham was/is pretty impressive and that's down to the looks/public persona of Becks mixed in with some timely moments in a football career (free kick v Greece etc)

I took the post you quoted to mean that he doesn't have the footballing ability of Ronaldo, and doesn't have the off field marketability of Beckham, which is what made those two players worth the fees, fcuk sake Becks cost them £25million!

As the Madrid president said, it was a steal!

The point being really, that Bale isn't the best on the field and isn't the best looking for creating a brand off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

But he is not as marketable as Becks, brand Beckham was/is pretty impressive and that's down to the looks/public persona of Becks mixed in with some timely moments in a football career (free kick v Greece etc)

I took the post you quoted to mean that he doesn't have the footballing ability of Ronaldo, and doesn't have the off field marketability of Beckham, which is what made those two players worth the fees, fcuk sake Becks cost them £25million!

As the Madrid president said, it was a steal!

The point being really, that Bale isn't the best on the field and isn't the best looking for creating a brand off the field.
    but Bale got his ears pinned & a slick new hairstyle
    he is improving his marketability off the pitch ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement