Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He is modelling himself on Ronaldo which is cute alright, but according to the one wimmin who answered on here, he still ugly so its a no go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I think he'll knuckle down, learn the language and do ok over there, he seems to come across as that type of character, recently pointed out on TV though that he's only had one mega season which is worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Comparing Bale's marketability with Becks' is stupid. No one has ever been as marketable as Becks relative to their footballing ability. Bale still is very marketable however, he was the face of NBC's PL advertising campaign in the States, which earned him (and Spurs for that matter) plenty of exposure. If Bale continues his habit of scoring spectacular goals his stock will increase. Is he worth the reported fee? IMO, no, definitely not. But is he worth >£50m, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Kirby wrote: »
    That money has been spent. I'm convinced 100% that the Bale deal was done over a month ago and was kept quiet so that Levy could quietly go about buying half a dozen players which conveniently add up to around 100 million so as not to get gouged. It was pretty bloody clever and I'd expect nothing less.

This transfer window it would have been "Aren't you selling bale? We want an extra 10 million". "Bale? No he's staying. This is all we have to offer."

Next season will be "You got all that bale money last time out, you can afford to go the extra mile" "The bale money? Ah, sure that was spent last season!" :P

Levy is sharp alright and I'd imagine that is the case. However, when posting that I had the £30m destined for the Willian deal who is now Chelsea bound in my mind :P Levy gets serious money when selling, first Modric and now Bale; I'd say he's a right bastard to try and negotiate a deal with :pac: The Bale deal has been done for the most part definitely in the last few weeks I'd imagine, it'll be officially unveiled this week surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

are-we-there-yet-simpsons.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

THFC wrote: »
    Comparing Bale's marketability with Becks' is stupid. No one has ever been as marketable as Becks relative to their footballing ability. Bale still is very marketable however, he was the face of NBC's PL advertising campaign in the States, which earned him (and Spurs for that matter) plenty of exposure. If Bale continues his habit of scoring spectacular goals his stock will increase. Is he worth the reported fee? IMO, no, definitely not. But is he worth >£50m, definitely.

There we have it a Spurs fan agrees he is definitely not worth the reported fee, he puts his valuation at around £50 million. I would value him at about £45m in the current market set up. He is reportedly going to sell for £94 million, there is something a bit weird and completely out of sync with this deal. It's a nonsensical transfer no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

wouldnt be surprised if Man Utd offered 50m + Wayne Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MD1990 wrote: »
    wouldnt be surprised if Man Utd offered 50m + Wayne Rooney

Was said earlier in the summer (iirc) that big enough money and Rooney was already offered to Spurs. Not sure of Spurs interest in the deal but seemingly Rooney had absolutely no intention at all of going there.

€360,000 p/w, apparently. The bones of 100,000,000 over a 6 year contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Those wages can't be accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

€360,000 p/w, apparently. The bones of 100,000,000 over a 6 year contract.

Can't see Man Utd matching that :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Why would they need to offer those kind of wages? He's desperate to play there and must be only on about £60,000-70,000 at Spurs. Really throwing money away if that's the case.
    No chance Ronaldo etc. would be happy with him earning more than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

£150,000 per week after tax apparently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It will be close to ronaldo's but he'll remain top dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone know who this other team is who Spurs have come out and said made a bid for Gareth Bale?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anyone know who this other team is who Spurs have come out and said made a bid for Gareth Bale?

The rumours are saying Man Utd, but I very much doubt they're anything other than rumours.

Maybe Levy & co. are just trying to put the screws to Madrid and making it up? Unless its someone mad like PSG or Monaco?

Maybe Levy & co. are just trying to put the screws to Madrid and making it up? Unless its someone mad like PSG or Monaco?

That's exactly what they're doing. I don't think Bale would be particularly interested in moving to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

£86million to join Real Madrid :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Whats he on at Spurs? 100k a week maybe.

Those wages would be absolute madness, the only person who doesnt want this deal is Levy, Bale and his agent will do very well out of this deal when it happens.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Whats he on at Spurs? 100k a week maybe.

Those wages would be absolute madness, the only person who doesnt want this deal is Levy, Bale and his agent will do very well out of this deal when it happens.

He's apparently on £75k a week at Spurs.

He's apparently on £75k a week at Spurs.

Net or Gross?

Net or Gross?

Gross.

Aren't all reported salaries normally gross? I always presumed they were.

Gross.

Aren't all reported salaries normally gross? I always presumed they were.

I dont know, I just assumed as the figure was so low that it was a Net figure you had given.

Hes in for a huge rise so at Real.

I dont know, I just assumed as the figure was so low that it was a Net figure you had given.

Thought he signed a 100k deal last summer (he has signed a new contract every summer for the last 4 or 5 years), and had a 150k offer on the table this summer from Spurs.

Just found this for what it's worth, "It has netted him a significant pay increase, taking his wage to around £75,000 per week, with performance related add-ons on top"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Ridiculous money - this whole saga is going on longer than will they\won't they Ross and Rachel......or so my wife says <cough>

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Ridiculous money - this whole saga is going on longer than will they\won't they Ross and Rachel......or so my wife says <cough>

Would be over by now if Chelsea didn't nab Willian at the last minute :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lennonist wrote: »
    There we have it a Spurs fan agrees he is definitely not worth the reported fee, he puts his valuation at around £50 million. I would value him at about £45m in the current market set up. He is reportedly going to sell for £94 million, there is something a bit weird and completely out of sync with this deal. It's a nonsensical transfer no matter what way you look at it.

Did you not see the > symbol. Just because I'm a Spurs fan doesn't mean my opinion holds more value, it just means that even Spurs fans can agree the transfer fee is hugely inflated.

THFC wrote: »
    Did you not see the > symbol. Just because I'm a Spurs fan doesn't mean my opinion holds more value, it just means that even Spurs fans can agree the transfer fee is hugely inflated.

On the contrary, I picked on your opinion as a Spurs fan because if anything you will hope to get the most money possible for your club from Bale and your natural inclination would be not to disagree with the massive over-evaluation of the player.

I think he's worth between £40 and £45 million in today's market, anything more is overpriced. The figures being bandied about in the region of £94 million are just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I'd say Bale knew all summer he was going to Madrid, just gave Spurs time to get as much out of Madrid. I (imo) think a deal was agreed between Bale and Spurs. Look at Bale even getting his eleven of hearts trademarked. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sounded like United might be in for Bale? Moyes didn't say no.

Johner wrote: »
    Sounded like United might be in for Bale? Moyes didn't say no.

In fairness, it makes more sense for him to not say no. No advantage to giving confirmation either way at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Why would Spurs sell to a rival when they can flog him to a Spanish club

Dempsey wrote: »
    Why would Spurs sell to a rival when they can flog him to a Spanish club

Spurs aren't rivals to Man United, Spurs are never in the shake up for the title in the EPL.

Why would United pay way over the top for Bale, when they could buy better players for half the price is more the question? United wont spend anything like the money that Bale is being touted for. If they were going to spend £80 million or more on a player, it would be to bring Ronaldo back.

Lennonist wrote: »
    Spurs aren't rivals to Man United, Spurs are never in the shake up for the title in the EPL.

Why would United pay way over the top for Bale, when they could buy better players for half the price is more the question? United wont spend anything like the money that Bale is being touted for. If they were going to spend £80 million or more on a player, it would be to bring Ronaldo back.

Spurs are looking to break into the top 4, selling you best to a top 4 club is selling to a rival.

If United can sign better for less, why havent they done so already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Spurs are looking to break into the top 4, selling you best to a top 4 club is selling to a rival.

In reality it's a top 3 now.

with 3 or 4 teams challenge for 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

In reality it's a top 3 now.

with 3 or 4 teams challenge for 4th

Watching that game tonight, there is nothing so special about the top 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Spurs have a better first 11 than United. Verthongen, Lloris, Bale, Dembele, Soldado, Sandro etc. would all be good enough to start for United.

• Advertisement

Yes, but I'd say the title there is between Man City, Man U and Chelsea. Spurs will be fighting it out for 4th place with Arsenal and maybe Liverpool. Man United have bought lots of players from Spurs in the past, but I doubt they'll pay way over the odds for Bale.

Maybe they need to get the finger out, same as we do on a different level.

United were chasing Fabregas, but didn't meet the asking price I believe. They have also bid low for Fellaini and Baines which was thrown out as derisory. They'll probably get those two from Everton eventually.

I doubt they'll compete with Real Madrid for Bale and I think they're right on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

EdenHazard wrote: »
    ...Lloris,...Soldado... would all be good enough to start for United.

:confused::confused:

I never mentioned anything about the title but it doesnt make sense to strengthen a rival you hope to challenge better in the medium term. Spurs will be one of the stronger teams challenging for UCL football this season.

United hadnt a hope of getting Fabregas and unlikely to get either Baines or Fellaini this window.

I never mentioned anything about the title but it doesnt make sense to strengthen a rival you hope to challenge better in the medium term. Spurs will be one of the stronger teams challenging for UCL football this season.

Spurs have historically been a selling club in England when push comes to shove, I don't see that changing in the short term anyway.
    United hadnt a hope of getting Fabregas and unlikely to get either Baines or Fellaini this window.

Well if they can't buy Baines + Fellaini, I think it's safe to say they wont be meeting the asking price for Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Spurs have a better first 11 than United. Verthongen, Lloris, Bale, Dembele, Soldado, Sandro etc. would all be good enough to start for United.

Funny how one team finished 1st and one team finished 5th. Bale and one of Sandro/Dembele would be the only starters, Vertonghen at a fairly uncomfortable push. Soldado? Yeah he's much better than that useless Van Persie guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I don't think more than Bale, Lloris and maybe Vertonghen would make the Arsenal team, let alone Utd.

Then when you compare to the Chelsea and City teams, only the soon to be gone Bale (and maybe Lloris at City) would make it.

Spurs are a long way off making a real challenge IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So if Bale signs for MUFC can we talk about how MUFC are destroying football, how there needs to be a major redistribution of revenue within the English game, how its a disgraceful purchase by the club when there are 2.5M unemployed and children starving on the streets of northern towns and the money would be better spent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This transfer is getting very messy.

So if Bale signs for MUFC can we talk about how MUFC are destroying football, how there needs to be a major redistribution of revenue within the English game,

Well, no - United signing Bale would be a major redistribution of revenue within the English game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

So if Bale signs for MUFC can we talk about how MUFC are destroying football, how there needs to be a major redistribution of revenue within the English game, how its a disgraceful purchase by the club when there are 2.5M unemployed and children starving on the streets of northern towns and the money would be better spent there.

No need to worry about that debate, Bale will not be signing for United.

• Advertisement
Advertisement