Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks like Bale has thrown the toys out of the pram!

No show for training.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't think more than Bale, Lloris and maybe Vertonghen would make the Arsenal team, let alone Utd.

Arsenal would definitely take at least 1 of Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho also. They'd likely take Walker and Soldado too.

United are a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Spurs have a better first 11 than United. Verthongen, Lloris, Bale, Dembele, Soldado, Sandro etc. would all be good enough to start for United.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Spurs have a better first 11 than United. Verthongen, Lloris, Bale, Dembele, Soldado, Sandro etc. would all be good enough to start for United.

Sorry I didn't realise Spurs were the premiership champions????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Arsenal would definitely take at least 1 of Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho also. They'd likely take Walker and Soldado too.

We'd take them, but not to start ahead of any of Ramsey, Arteta, Cazorla or Wilshere. They'd definitely be back up. Same for Soldado and Walker. They are all good, but not as good as what we have already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sandro would make the Arsenal midfield more balanced

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dempsey wrote: »
    Looks like Bale has thrown the toys out of the pram!

No show for training.

I look forward to Bales Real Madrid debut in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I don't think more than Bale, Lloris and maybe Vertonghen would make the Arsenal team, let alone Utd.

Arsenal would take Gareth Bale on a free after he has run down his contract ala Sol Campbell.

Lloris was afraid to come to Arsenal because he wasn't guaranteed to start.

The rest would deepen our squad but I would take Kos ahead of Verthongen, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere and Cazorla ahead of any of the Spurs midfield.

Giroud, Podolski and Walcot would all play central striker ahead of Soldado and as for Walker against Sagna, don't make me laugh.

Spurs finished fifth, Arsenal finished fourth, yet you list 6-8 spurs players who would play at Arsenal.

On the other hand, I have no doubt that Spurs would be delighted with Sagna, Gibbs, Kos, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski (they are rumoured to have enquired), Giroud, Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Godge wrote: »
    Arsenal would take Gareth Bale on a free after he has run down his contract ala Sol Campbell.

Lloris was afraid to come to Arsenal because he wasn't guaranteed to start.

The rest would deepen our squad but I would take Kos ahead of Verthongen, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere and Cazorla ahead of any of the Spurs midfield.

Giroud, Podolski and Walcot would all play central striker ahead of Soldado and as for Walker against Sagna, don't make me laugh.

Spurs finished fifth, Arsenal finished fourth, yet you list 6-8 spurs players who would play at Arsenal.

On the other hand, I have no doubt that Spurs would be delighted with Sagna, Gibbs, Kos, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski (they are rumoured to have enquired), Giroud, Walcott.

Haha talk about a biased post. There was one point between the teams last season. As for Arteta, Gibbs, Podolski, Ramsey and Giroud, no thank you.

• Advertisement

A combined Arsenal/Spurs XI would be very 50/50 or as close to 50/50 an 11 man team can make.

GK - Lloris
    RB - Sagna
    CB - KOS
    CB - Vertonghen
    LB - Gibbs

CM - Wilshire
    CM - Sandro
    RM - Walcott
    CAM - Cazorla
    LM - Bale

CF - Soldado

That would be my take on it anyway, although losing Bale and I'd throw Podolski in to the team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

At the moment Arteta and Ramsey are both better in central midfield than Wilshere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

GavRedKing wrote: »
    A combined Arsenal/Spurs XI would be very 50/50 or as close to 50/50 an 11 man team can make.

GK - Lloris
    RB - Sagna
    CB - KOS
    CB - Vertonghen
    LB - Gibbs

CM - Wilshire
    CM - Sandro
    RM - Walcott
    CAM - Cazorla
    LM - Bale

CF - Soldado

That would be my take on it anyway, although losing Bale and I'd throw Podolski in to the team.

I cannot understand Soldado over Giroud.

Soldado has scored two penalties in the Premier League.

Giroud has a full season in the Premier League, is 3 from 3 this season and been involved in other goals, most notably his take and control from the Mertesacker long ball for the third against Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Because Soldado is a better player?:confused:

Giroud has a full season in the Premier League, is 3 from 3 this season and been involved in other goals, most notably his take and control from the Mertesacker long ball for the third against Fulham.

Im taking Soldados career into account not just his 2 EPL games, his record at Valencia was 1 goal every other game and his international record hit rate is better then Giroud although Giroud has played more times from France.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Soldado has a great record in the Spanish league, which is stronger than the French league where Giroud has a similar record. Soldado's goals per game is much better internationally as well.

Haha, Gav just beat me to it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

At the moment Arteta and Ramsey are both better in central midfield than Wilshere.

I reckon givena guy like Sandro who can break up attacks and do all the graft then Wilshire could easily play CM next to a guy like this, also the 3 AM's positions ahead of him are filled with better players, although its just my opinion and doesnt real matter a bo**ocks at all. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

if we are talking about the DM role, then Sandro beats Arteta hands down, every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

not arguing with Wilshire being included in the team above but he definitely is not the same player since he came back from injury. I have watched his last few games for arsenal and england and think he is lacking a bit of sharpness and fitness as well as the touch that he had a couple of years ago. Still young though so time is on his side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

So.. Bale? Today or tomorrow?

Arsenal have a big gap in the defensive midfield area. It's crazy talk to say that Sandro wouldn't improve that area.

Soldado is better than Giroud also, people would realise that if they watched non-English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Arsenal have a big gap in the defensive midfield area. It's crazy talk to say that Sandro wouldn't improve that area.

Soldado is better than Giroud also, people would realise that if they watched non-English football.

Have to agree, Soldada > Giroud.
    I'd also take Vertonghen too. Isn't he fairly versatile?
    Having said that, i'd prefer Vermaelan just get back to his best.

Anyway, back to Bale....
    Any word on who the other team is, or is that just gamesmanship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dembele is a better CM than all three, at the moment.

Arsenal do not have a gap in midfield. Ramsey and Arteta are miles better than Sandro. Jesus. Arteta and Ramsey nearly topped the league in tackles last year and in passing.

Also, Wilshere is a distant 4th in terms of Arsenal midfielders at the moment, as anyone who's watched the team over the last year should know. Cazorla, Ramsey and Arteta are far more influential and important right now.

Arsenal do not have a gap in midfield. Ramsey and Arteta are miles better than Sandro. Jesus. Arteta and Ramsey nearly topped the league in tackles last year and in passing.

Also, Wilshere is a distant 4th in terms of Arsenal midfielders at the moment, as anyone who's watched the team over the last year should know. Cazorla, Ramsey and Arteta are far more influential and important right now.

You're blinkered if you think that Arsenal don't have a gap in DM. There's no true defensive midfielders in Arsenal's squad at the moment. Arteta and Ramsey aren't anything like Silva, Viera or even Song. Great passers of the ball of course, but not proper DMs. That role hasn't been filled.

I will say that Arteta has been a revelation playing deep for Arsenal. There's still something lacking there in a tackling sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You're blinkered if you think that Arsenal don't have a gap in DM. There's no true defensive midfielders in Arsenal's squad at the moment. Arteta and Ramsey aren't anything like Silva, Viera or even Song. Great passers of the ball of course, but not proper DMs. That role hasn't been filled.

look at how many goals were conceded by Arsenal from March last year ? And over the season we conceded fewer goals away from home than anyone else. There was no deficiency and a "true" defensive midfielder was not required. Arteta provided the shielding role as effectively as the players you mention above and far superior to Song's efforts in that position

greendom wrote: »
    look at how many goals were conceded by Arsenal from March last year ? And over the season we conceded fewer goals away from home than anyone else. There was no deficiency and a "true" defensive midfielder was not required. Arteta provided the shielding role as effectively as the players you mention above and far superior to Song's efforts in that position

Why bother trying to sign Luis Gustavo or Kondogbia so?

greendom wrote: »

So Arteta is as effective as G.Silva and Vieira?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    So Arteta is as effective as G.Silva and Vieira?

The system was as effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Blatter wrote: »
    Dembele is a better CM than all three, at the moment.

Is he hell. Ramsey in particular has been fantastic for months now.

• Advertisement

Why bother trying to sign Luis Gustavo or Kondogbia so?

Arteta's is into his 30s and the team were looking to improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

That Bale guy sure has a few pseudonyms...

miralize wrote: »
    So.. Bale? Today or tomorrow?

Thursday or Friday I reckon, I hope he pulls a Suarez though and come out to media to bring extra LoLz to the transfer if Real start dragging their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ramsey and Arteta better than Sandro?? Surely a piss-take? I wouldn't take anyone other than Cazorla from the Arsenal midfield.

Dunno why it's being argued anyway, pointless exercise. Arsenal are better than Spurs on the virtue of finishing ahead of us last season (and the past *few* seasons for that matter), but I'd still have both teams on an even par. Both first teams are at a similar level, but Spurs have perhaps a better depth to their squad. Both teams have similar ambitions for the season, the only thing I'd have a problem with that's being mentioned here is someone saying there's 3 teams in the battle for fourth. There's not, there is (or at least has been) a clear top 3, followed by Spurs and Arsenal. Have no fear of that changing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

THFC wrote: »
    Ramsey and Arteta better than Sandro?? Surely a piss-take? I wouldn't take anyone other than Cazorla from the Arsenal midfield.

Dunno why it's being argued anyway, pointless exercise. Arsenal are better than Spurs on the virtue of finishing ahead of us last season (and the past *few* seasons for that matter), but I'd still have both teams on an even par. Both first teams are at a similar level, but Spurs have perhaps a better depth to their squad. Both teams have similar ambitions for the season, the only thing I'd have a problem with that's being mentioned here is someone saying there's 3 teams in the battle for fourth. There's not, there is (or at least has been) a clear top 3, followed by Spurs and Arsenal. Have no fear of that changing this year.

Sandro is probably a better DM, but Arteta's the better player. Ramsey if he keeps going the way he is can overtake both.

I will say that Arteta has been a revelation playing deep for Arsenal. There's still something lacking there in a tackling sense.
    You obviously haven't watched Arteta if you think he lacks anything in the tackling department.

As for not having a DM, that's true. But we don't play with a DM, and shouldn't, so that isn't a gap. We don't have a sweeper either, or a hatchet man, or a tap in merchant up front. They aren't gaps, they're just roles that we don't have on our team.

Our first choice defence is one of the best in the league, we just need more depth. Gustavo is no more a tackler than Arteta, and I expect we wanted him as a rotation option for Arteta, or backup.

What we really need is more depth, and a really top notch attacking player.

Ramsay and Arteta are both much better than any of spurs midfield options. The only reason we only beat them by a point last year was Bale. Without him, you'd've been another ten points off us, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ramsay and Arteta are both much better than any of spurs midfield options. The only reason we only beat them by a point last year was Bale. Without him, you'd've been another ten points off us, at least.

In your opinion.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    In your opinion.

Thanks for that really useful comment. :rolleyes:

Do you do that every time somebody posts an opinion?

Also, does that mean the rest of the non bolded part is fact, and not opinion? Because the rest of it basically implies the first bit, to some extent.

As for not having a DM, that's true. But we don't play with a DM, and shouldn't, so that isn't a gap. We don't have a sweeper either, or a hatchet man, or a tap in merchant up front. They aren't gaps, they're just roles that we don't have on our team.

So Arsene Wenger doesnt have the ability to change how the team plays because he doesnt have the players or in this case, too many similar players. Many times in recent memory, I remember Arsenal playing poorly/drawing/losing by getting kicked off the field or just not able to deal with a physical team.

To say there isnt gaps in the squad is laughable when you havent won a trophy since selling all the players of the type people are saying Arsenal need back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Super Giroud has ONLY scored 2 from 2 premier league games the same as little old overpriced Soldado;)

Although in Europa Lge Soldado scored 2 last thurs so he has a mighty 4 goals in 3 competitive games this season..but its too early in the season to be making a fuss over minor details:D

IMHO IM a fan of Giroud & honestly like the man but he aint a patch on Soldado..That must be obvious to 99% of people here :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads feic off with the Arsenal-Spurs talk this is about Bale , I reckon he'll go by the weekend anyway he won't go anywhere other than Real either i reckon

and yes Arsenal badly need a DMF for the recored and there are better ones out there than Sandro too , But our eejit of a manager can't see that Arteta and Ramsey are good midfielders but not DMFs

So Arsene Wenger doesnt have the ability to change how the team plays because he doesnt have the players or in this case, too many similar players. Many times in recent memory, I remember Arsenal playing poorly/drawing/losing by getting kicked off the field or just not able to deal with a physical team.

To say there isnt gaps in the squad is laughable when you havent won a trophy since selling all the players of the type people are saying Arsenal need back!

Do Man Utd need a DM then?

I didn't say there are no faults in the squad. I said we don't need a DM. Arteta does a better and more useful job than any DM, and puts in more tackles than most, and makes more passes than any. A DM would not improve our team. As for "many times in recent memory", show me some. Because I think you're spouting crap from a few years ago which isn't relevant now.

I didn't say there are no faults in the squad. I said we don't need a DM. Arteta does a better and more useful job than any DM, and puts in more tackles than most, and makes more passes than any. A DM would not improve our team. As for "many times in recent memory", show me some. Because I think you're spouting crap from a few years ago which isn't relevant now.

IMO, they need a Fellaini type of player who can play DM, CM, AM and give them a real physical presence where required during a match. I think he's a type of player they would really benefit from.

My recent memory does go back a few years even if you are trying to forget all the baron years. You cant think of any games where Arsenal were lacking more physical, better defensively minded players? The problem at Arsenal goes back a few years so why should I disregard previous seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

We do. We need one pretty badly. It's a hole in the squad that was exposed against Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

davycc wrote: »
    Super Giroud has ONLY scored 2 from 2 premier league games the same as little old overpriced Soldado;)

Although in Europa Lge Soldado scored 2 last thurs so he has a mighty 4 goals in 3 competitive games this season..but its too early in the season to be making a fuss over minor details:D

IMHO IM a fan of Giroud & honestly like the man but he aint a patch on Soldado..That must be obvious to 99% of people here :cool:

Giroud is 3 from 3 with 2 from open play. Soldado has 2 from the spot so he has only scored from outfield play in 1 game! What a fcukin childish arguement :)

Personally the verdict is out on both players I would expect more from Giroud than Soldado this season as he needs time to settle in but time will tell

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I thought nothing could beat the annoyance of the Hazard transfer last summer but this one has taken the biscuit.

Is it done already? come on !

IMO, they need a Fellaini type of player who can play DM, CM, AM and give them a real physical presence where required during a match. I think he's a type of player they would really benefit from.

My recent memory does go back a few years even if you are trying to forget all the baron years. You cant think of any games where Arsenal were lacking more physical, better defensively minded players? The problem at Arsenal goes back a few years so why should I disregard previous seasons?

Fellaini can't pass the ball well enough to play for Arsenal. He wouldn't fit in at all, we'd have to change our entire style of play. He's not good enough to make it worth changing our whole system just to fit him in. (Not saying he isn't a good player. He's a very good player, but not the right type for us)

A few years ago we didn't have Arteta and Ramsay playing where they do. We didn't have Koscielny and Mertesacker. Now we do. So a few years ago is not relevant to now, we have a completely different team. We had one of the league's best defences last year. Our biggest problem now is scoring enough goals, and having a big enough and deep enough squad to last a season.

I said Fellaini would be a good fit for Man United.
    A few years ago we didn't have Arteta and Ramsay playing where they do. We didn't have Koscielny and Mertesacker. Now we do. So a few years ago is not relevant to now, we have a completely different team. We had one of the league's best defences last year. Our biggest problem now is scoring enough goals, and having a big enough and deep enough squad to last a season.

True, different players but the same system and Arsenal still have the same flaws.

• Advertisement

I said Fellaini would be a good fit for Man United.

True, different players but the same system and Arsenal still have the same flaws.
    So you haven't watched Arsenal in a while then. Why didn't you just say so?

They still have flaws. They don't have the same flaws.

Advertisement