Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So you haven't watched Arsenal in a while then. Why didn't you just say so?

They still have flaws. They don't have the same flaws.

I have seen plenty of them. They do have the same fundamental flaws over the past few years.

You think Arteta and Ramsey are good enough defensively so I think you cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Dempsey wrote: »
    I said Fellaini would be a good fit for Man United.

True, different players but the same system and Arsenal still have the same flaws.

I'd disagree the system before was primarily based and passing play, quick counter attack and strenght in through the middle.

The style now is more patient passing trying to play possession football and breaking teams down, the team now doesnt go to Stoke, Sunderland etc and get kicked around (that team and style was in between both of the above)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I have seen plenty of them. They do have the same fundamental flaws over the past few years.

You think Arteta and Ramsey are good enough defensively so I think you cant see it.
    You could've just admitted you hadn't seen them, it would've been fine, there's no need to pretend. I'm done with this conversation, anyway.

You could've just admitted you hadn't seen them, it would've been fine, there's no need to pretend. I'm done with this conversation, anyway.

I have seen them plenty of times over the last few years and I stand by what I think of them and their flaws. The fundamental flaws havent changed at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Arsenal were terribly exposed defensively at times last year, particularly against some of the better teams in the league.

The defense has improved, for sure, but that wasn't particularly hard. They still have an inferior defense to United and City at a minimum, it's definitely not the best in the league.

• Advertisement

Also, I don't know why your argument with everyone is "You haven't seen Arsenal enough" or "You haven't watched Arteta". Why not actually debate rather than try to deflect points with this rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal were terribly exposed defensively at times last year, particularly against some of the better teams in the league.

The defense has improved, for sure, but that wasn't particularly hard. They still have an inferior defense to United and City at a minimum, it's definitely not the best in the league.

Only 1 team conceded fewer goals than us last season and that was City and that was with a poor Vermaelen. l'll admit we were pretty lucky with injuries and we do need to improve the quality of the squad but the fundamentals are in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Soups123 wrote: »
    Giroud is 3 from 3 with 2 from open play. Soldado has 2 from the spot so he has only scored from outfield play in 1 game! What a fcukin childish arguement :)

Personally the verdict is out on both players I would expect more from Giroud than Soldado this season as he needs time to settle in but time will tell

You might need to re-check your undisputed FACTS lol;)

A childish arguement is saying Giroud as better than Soldado.:D

Big bad Giroud is 3 from 3 including the cl qualifier..

Little old Soldado has 4 from 3 including El qualifier.:D

2 penalties & 2 from open play & he will only get better as he admitted himself to not having as long a pre season & is still finding his feet etc..

I have no doubt (injury barring) he will outscore Giroud this season:cool:

Im a proud Spurs fan but any unbiased football fan can see this just as easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Is this thread about Arsenal or Gareth Bale:confused:

WIZE wrote: »
    Is this thread about Arsenal or Gareth Bale:confused:

No significant Bale news in a while...

Thread could perhaps do with a split though.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Only 1 team conceded fewer goals than us last season and that was City and that was with a poor Vermaelen. l'll admit we were pretty lucky with injuries and we do need to improve the quality of the squad but the fundamentals are in place.

As I said, Arsenal's defense is much improved, it's one of the top 4 in the league - i.e. the sort of level it should be at.

I do think Arteta has been great in a deeper role, don't get me wrong, he makes his fair share of tackles and interceptions. His distribution is obviously fantastic also. My initial point was that Arsenal would benefit with a more traditional DM to play alongside him, particularly in the bigger games where they've been more exposed defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

No significant Bale news in a while...

Thread could perhaps do with a split though.

Arsenal play Spurs on Sunday but it's clashing with Dublin and Kerry, I know what I'll be watching. Maybe the thread could split in three:D.

Be funny enough if it fell through

As I said, Arsenal's defense is much improved, it's one of the top 4 in the league - i.e. the sort of level it should be at.

I do think Arteta has been great in a deeper role, don't get me wrong, he makes his fair share of tackles and interceptions. His distribution is obviously fantastic also. My initial point was that Arsenal would benefit with a more traditional DM to play alongside him, particularly in the bigger games where they've been more exposed defensively.

I get the impression that Wenger favours the flexibility that a more ball-playing midfielder can provide. Once the player has the discipline to stay in a covering position they can perform all the functions of a DM but with the ability to be more creative as well. I think this is why more interest is being shown in Cabaye than Capoue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I get the impression that Wenger favours the flexibility that a more ball-playing midfielder can provide. Once the player has the discipline to stay in a covering position they can perform all the functions of a DM but with the ability to be more creative as well. I think this is why more interest is being shown in Cabaye than Capoue
    Yeah well maybe he needs to have a think about things because his best teams were when he had Gilberto Silva at Arsenal.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah well maybe he needs to have a think about things because his best teams were when he had Gilberto Silva at Arsenal.

Great part of a great team but football moves on.

Great part of a great team but football moves on.
    Yeah it sure does, like Javi Martinez making a huge impact at Bayern, Busquets at Barca, Yaya Toure at Barca before him, Gattuso at Milan, Cambiasso at Inter...........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Be funny enough if it fell through

Can't see it falling through tbh, Spurs are spending too much.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah it sure does, like Javi Martinez making a huge impact at Bayern, Busquets at Barca, Yaya Toure at Barca before him, Gattuso at Milan, Cambiasso at Inter...........................

All players with heaps of technical ability.

And all played DM for the clubs that won the biggest tournament in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can't see it falling through tbh, Spurs are spending too much.

Not really an issue tbh.

We've spent around £68 million, and recouped £24 million of that already from players out. Add the tv money from this year, and the £50 million from Joe Lewis (and our ins/outs over the last few years) and we're probably one of the better run clubs in the league (financially speaking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gattuso and heaps of technical ability in the same sentence, impressive!

The DM position is very important for teams who incorporate the system such as Madrid, Barca, Arsenal, City (under Mancini at least)

When you have so many players attacking it is very important to have a player who shields the defence, who hangs back, who breaks up the opposition before they get a move going.

Makelele was so good the position was named after him, he didn't have the most technical ability in the world, but he was capable, and he was a fantastic shield.

For me Busquets is the finest exponent of the position in the world today, a truly gifted player who has all the technical ability in the world.

Kiith wrote: »
    Not really an issue tbh.

We've spent around £68 million, and recouped £24 million of that already from players out. Add the tv money from this year, and the £50 million from Joe Lewis (and our ins/outs over the last few years) and we're probably one of the better run clubs in the league (financially speaking).

Certainly up there with United and Arsenal alright, but the fact that the chairman did provide a cash injection counts against you a little. Have certainly come off best in the transfer market in the last few years though and I can only imagine revenues have been going up and up the last couple of years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

kryogen wrote: »
    Have certainly come off best in the transfer market in the last few years though and I can only imagine revenues have been going up and up the last couple of years

Most definitely. We've also had the added cost of the new training ground and the planned stadium, but i'd still not be too worried if Bale didn't go.

I am certain Bale is going, but Spurs have made some good additions either way and are showing real ambition in this window, cant help but admire them for it. Backing the manager too which is nice, gonna be a big season both for the manager and the club, this feels like the big push to become a CL team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kryogen wrote: »
    I am certain Bale is going, but Spurs have made some good additions either way and are showing real ambition in this window, cant help but admire them for it. Backing the manager too which is nice, gonna be a big season both for the manager and the club, this feels like the big push to become a CL team

They could do with buying less midfielders and more defenders tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

You just know its getting serious when "Mr Transfer" himself Jim White is now reporting on the Bale situation on SSN :) With his inside info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

AVB has confirmed he's going but is considering fining him for missing training.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-press-conference-live-updates-2232881

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

AVB's presser today :
    "He is involved in a big transfer move to Real Madrid and in the end if it happens, we wish him all the best, but the fact that he hasn't turned up is not the correct behaviour...

"That is the position they chose to take and it's up to the club to decide if it's a fineable offence."

"It could happen very, very soon," the Portuguese said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Personal terms agreed now.

Also Madrid have moved their training session tomorrow from afternoon to morning and so some are taking that to mean he'll be unveiled tomorrow afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Anyone think Bale won't get a world record fee?

I think it's a possibility. Madrid know Spurs have spent the Bale money already so could offer them less (albeit more up front)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think it's a possibility. Madrid know Spurs have spent the Bale money already so could offer them less (albeit more up front)?

I doubt it spurs aren't hard up for money if they don't get the fee they wantthey won't sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I doubt it spurs aren't hard up for money if they don't get the fee they wantthey won't sell.

They can talk about the tv money, but no other club like them has a net spend (so far) like them? Then there's playing Bale over players you've paid big money for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

They can talk about the tv money, but no other club like them has a net spend (so far) like them? Then there's playing Bale over players you've paid big money for?
    It would be only 20m spend after outgoings and new tv money and looks like another couple could be gone by Monday. Combined with the fact the club is owned by the 9th richest man in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Spurs don't sell this summer they'll never get an offer this big again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

AdamD wrote: »
    If Spurs don't sell this summer they'll never get an offer this big again.

Meh, if we don't get fourth this season we'll never have a player as good as Bale again. Keeping him would be just as beneficial as selling him tbh, it's not as if we need the cash. Siggy could be out the door soon, and if Bale stays Lennon could be sold as well, this is added to the likely sales of Adebayor and BAE, so selling Bale certainly isn't necessary.

They have two offers from Madrid

£86m in instalments

or

£70m upfront

Levy wont have to do much work on the squad after this summer bar a few tweaks so they'll take the record fee imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Have RM payed off the Modric money?

miralize wrote: »
    Have RM payed off the Modric money?

Fairly sure they havent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

With massive installment plans like this you wonder how long it'll be before a complete finacial meltdown happens in soccer.

I know it has happened to many clubs already Rangers etc but I'm talking about the Reals and Uniteds of the football world

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    With massive installment plans like this you wonder how long it'll be before a complete finacial meltdown happens in soccer.

I know it has happened to many clubs already Rangers etc but I'm talking about the Reals and Uniteds of the football world

Instalment plans are commonplace in football though and big deals have bank guarantees in place

Instalment plans are commonplace in football though and big deals have bank guarantees in place

Scandalous really when you think of the hardship on your average mortgage holders trying to keep their head above water and banks prepared to guarantee an overinflated transfer

Would be the best thing at this stage. Bring a sense of normality back into the game. Its as if football is conducted by those from a different planet nowadays.

Scandalous really when you think of the hardship on your average mortgage holders trying to keep their head above water and banks prepared to guarantee an overinflated transfer

Hardly scandalous. Banks guarantee it for a cost, presumably, and figure it's a good investment. It's just like selling insurance.

Hardly scandalous. Banks guarantee it for a cost, presumably, and figure it's a good investment. It's just like selling insurance.

But surely if it goes to the stage where a bank has to guarantee a transfer it could suggest financial difficulties at the club who owe the money in which case it could prove difficult for even the bank to get their money?...

Although granted to be fair in that scenario the banks could also take equity in the company in difficulty which in Real Madrid's case might make perfect sense giving their status as a major global fanbase/tourist attraction amongst other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Because they're guaranteed against the club and its huge assets such as stadiums etc. Guaranteeing a club like Madrid is about as safe a move as a bank can make, one which should.be welcomed post the 08-10 meltdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Why are United mentioned in the same breath as Real here? They aren't even in the top 3 for record transfer in England, let alone anywhere near Real in spending. Pretty sure that Chelsea, City and Liverpool have all spent more on a single player.

The bank will guarantee it if its a safe bet and it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Biggest Joke yet. Any Spurs fan wanting Bale to stay is crazy. Take the money and run never ever get that price again

But surely if it goes to the stage where a bank has to guarantee a transfer it could suggest financial difficulties at the club who owe the money in which case it could prove difficult for even the bank to get their money?..

Not necessarily. Large transactions of any sort are generally guaranteed, as it removes an element of risk from the transaction which the selling side would rather didn't exist, however small it is.
    Although granted to be fair in that scenario the banks could also take equity in the company in difficulty which in Real Madrid's case might make perfect sense giving their status as a major global fanbase/tourist attraction amongst other things

I'd imagine it's a very safe bet in this case, yeah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement