Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Why are United mentioned in the same breath as Real here? They aren't even in the top 3 for record transfer in England, let alone anywhere near Real in spending. Pretty sure that Chelsea, City and Liverpool have all spent more on a single player.

I was just picking the two of the biggest clubs, nothing to do with transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why are United mentioned in the same breath as Real here? They aren't even in the top 3 for record transfer in England, let alone anywhere near Real in spending. Pretty sure that Chelsea, City and Liverpool have all spent more on a single player.

Dont remind me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I was just picking the two of the biggest clubs, nothing to do with transfers.

Ah right, was wondering. United contributed to this state years ago but they've been a lot less involved in the crazy transfer figures since Chelsea, City, PSG came on the scene. They tend to cut their cloth to their means and run the club as a going concern, unlike Madrid and the likes.

The sooner the better this deal is done. A disgusting sum of money for a player that I really rate, just not enough to wish my club was spending 100m on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

sneaky bump ;-)

Stan Collymore @StanCollymore 3m
    Gareth Bale fee is 100,000,000 euros. A new world record. @talkSPORT

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 4m
    Gareth Bale officially joins Real Madrid. At last. I'm told this is, despite what Real may say, a world record deal. £86m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Six year contract apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I wonder if it is a world record.

davycc wrote: »
    sneaky bump ;-)

Officially gone i believe?

yep offically gone at last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

100 Million quid? Madness, utter madness :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think he will do really well there. Who wouldn't want to play with Madrid ?

GARETH BALE STATEMENT:
    “I have had six very happy years at Tottenham but it’s the right time to say goodbye. We’ve had some special times together over the years and I’ve loved every minute of it.
    “I would like to thank everyone at the Club, the Chairman, Board, staff, coaches and players – and most of all the fantastic fans who I hope will understand this amazing career opportunity.
    “I am not sure there is ever a good time to leave a club where I felt settled and was playing the best football of my career to date. I know many players talk of their desire to join the club of their boyhood dreams, but I can honestly say, this is my dream come true.
    “I am well aware that I would not be at the level I am today were it not for firstly Southampton and then Spurs standing by me during some of the tougher times and affording me the environment and support they have.
    “Tottenham will always be in my heart and I’m sure that this season will be a successful one for them. I am now looking forward to the next exciting chapter in my life, playing football for Real Madrid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Right before the Barça match too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It'll be interesting to see how Bale handles the pressure.

He doesn't have the confidence of Ronaldo or Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

From Spurs
    Gareth joined from Southampton in May 2007 and during his six years with the Club made 203 appearances, scoring 55 goals
    Chairman, Daniel Levy commented, "Gareth was a player we had absolutely no intention of selling as we look to build for the future. He is a player whose career we have fostered and developed and he was only a year into his new four year contract.
    "Such has been the attention from Real Madrid and so great is Gareth's desire to join them, that we have taken the view that the player will not be sufficiently committed to our campaign in the current season.
    "We have, therefore, with great reluctance, agreed to this sale and do so in the knowledge that we have an exceptionally strong squad to which we have added no fewer than seven top internationals. More importantly, we have an immense team spirit and a dressing room that is hungry for success.
    "We wish Gareth all the best in the future and he shall always be welcome at the Lane."

• Advertisement

Wonder what Madrid fans are expecting of him over in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I think his base salary at Madrid is more than Messi gets at Barca as well (£15m>£13m). More than Ronaldo makes as well and he is nowhere near either of them ability wise.

He's getting 15m a year? :eek:

djPSB wrote: »

He is a super player but worth nowhere near what he went for.

By comparison I could almost accept Ronaldo's fee (although no player is worth this kind of money) to a certain degree because he was up there with Messi but Bale hasnt really tested himself at the top level yet (though it isnt exactly his fault that his chances of playing in a major international tournament are between slim and none and that Tottenham only made the CL once)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Oat23 wrote: »
    I think his base salary at Madrid is more than Messi gets at Barca as well (£15m>£13m). More than Ronaldo makes as well and he is nowhere near either of them ability wise.

I be shocked if thats true.
    No i'd be flabbergasted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He's going to be an Andy Carroll size flop.

He's going to be an Andy Carroll size flop.

He will be a success but to a certain degree. He will never quite capture the imagination like Ronaldo did and while no one can really justify their price tag, he certainly wont go anywhere near it....but manage to keep the white hankies from coming out of the pockets....but only just :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Real Madrid are colossal muppets.

Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

jamaamaj wrote: »
    I be shocked if thats true.
    No i'd be flabbergasted.

I know, it's the dailyfail, but..
    The Barcelona star topped his £13m annual salary from the Spanish giants with sponsorship deals from the likes of adidas and Pepsi.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2117551/Lionel-Messi-tops-football-rich-list.html

Messi earns more than Ronaldo (which is well known). So Bale > Messi > Ronaldo in base salary. Now obviously businesses other than Real Madrid aren't retards, so Messi & Ronaldo will still earn a sh*tload more overall from now until the end of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

on the BBC..

Gareth Bale's wages, before tax, will be around £300,000 per week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23538218#TWEET875116

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If boards was around in 1979 there would be the same reaction to Trevor Francis's 1 million pound deal. Madness!!! Nobody is worth 1 Million!!!!!! The game has gone mad!!!!! etc etc etc.

I hope I am alive for the first 1 Billion quid transfer :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Yes €100m is a bit too much for bale, but im also sad to see such a good player leave the premier league. Wish him well over in Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

If boards was around in 1979 there would be the same reaction to Trevor Francis's 1 million pound deal. Madness!!! Nobody is worth 1 Million!!!!!! The game has gone mad!!!!! etc etc etc.
    Certainly if you go back over the Ronaldo thread and the Kaka thread when they broke the record the reaction was the same. I'm sure you'd find it has been for all of them.

There were plenty of United fans more than happy when Ronaldo left when they heard the transfer figure.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I don't blame him for wanting to move to Real. But seriously, **** Real Madrid. Putting him on wages higher than Ronaldo and Messi all the while messing up the market once again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I dont see how Real could fork out so much for Bale , Shocking

270010.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Gbear wrote: »
    Real Madrid are colossal muppets.

Seriously.

Releasing the washed up Kaka too.
    Madrids opinion to value for money seems to be
    who_cares.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I dont see how Real could fork out so much for Bale , Shocking

270010.png

Ronaldo is better but comparing Spurs with Ronaldo era Utd isn't exactly comparing like with like, that has to be taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Daniel Levy is the ultimate salesman. Pity he wasn't involved in Ireland's bailout negotiations.

Cheerio, Gareth. I thank you for your contribution to my fantasy football team last year and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

djPSB wrote: »

Ronaldo is probably the most confident man to ever grace the earth though!

On the pitch Bale always struck me as very confident, the fact that he's been pushing so hard for this transfer indicates to me that he is confident in his own abilty too, I have a feeling he'll settle in fine:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Can't square this one off on my head. He is undoubtedly talented but 100m off the back of one great season is a colossal outlay.

If he proves us all wrong then good on him. I'll be watching his development with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Crazy valuation but as a Spurs fan I'll happily take it. Only annoyance is that it went through 24 hours too early IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I don't blame him for wanting to move to Real. But seriously, **** Real Madrid. Putting him on wages higher than Ronaldo and Messi all the while messing up the market once again.

Dont worry, Ronaldo has a new contract on the table. All will be ok again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Daniel Levy is the ultimate salesman. Pity he wasn't involved in Ireland's bailout negotiations.

Or is it that Madrid are the absolute worst negotiators in anything ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness it'll be only good business if Spurs get the champions league place. If Real won the champions league and Spurs finished fifth, it's amazing how different of a picture it'd look. It'll be very interesting to see how he gets on, in a footballing perspective I hope he's a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah he also authorised the spending of over £100million and still his team can't beat an Arsenal team who brought in 2 free's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't see why they give bale such huge wages, I'm sure he'd have happily gone even with much lower wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah he also authorised the spending of over £100million and still his team can't beat an Arsenal team who brought in 2 free's.

That's hardly his fault, the players need time to settle in and it's the responsibility of the manager and the playing staff to engineer results on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Why are people surprised about the world record signing getting the highest wages?

The best player in the world a lot of the time isn't paid the most, Eto'o and Fonseca down the years for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

NIMAN wrote: »

Wait until the Arse get a few injuries, just like Jack's today. Nothing in reserve.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Wait until the Arse get a few injuries, just like Jack's today. Nothing in reserve.

Well tbf we already had 5. Podolski, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Diaby and Vermaelen.

But your right, we cant afford any more.

Anyways back on topic, Spurs done well very to get the €100m but its a combination of egotistical mad men and publicists like Perez running a circus at Real Madrid who just want 'en vogue' players as opposed to players that their team actually need and Levy been smart enough to play his cards right.

I have no doubt Levy is a shrewd boyo but he is dealing with proper clowns here in all fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Wilshere isn't injured. He went off because his stomach bug was acting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't think they're clowns, viewership for real madrid will go up massively in uk and ireland imo. The footall business is mainly about marketing and they attract interest with their clownishness, keeps them relevant. I'd say only united beat them in the marketing arena.

But that's all the pragmatic talk, I don't like it but I think they aren't as dumb as people make out.

Real Madrid will make a lot of money from Bale.

They're buying the Gareth Bale brand as well as the player.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Real Madrid will make a lot of money from Bale.

They're buying the Gareth Bale brand as well as the player.

Poor Gareth trademarking his 11 of Hearts and probably won't get any money from it. :)

Poor Gareth trademarking his 11 of Hearts and probably won't get any money from it. :)

Well, it's the shirt sales and the increase in revenue from Great Britain and Ireland. He will bring a lot more attention to Real Madrid from outside Spain.

As for his trademarked logo, let's see how it does before making assumptions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement