Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

The only deal that dragged out longer than a DFS sale.

Got a good laugh from that one. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I don't think they're clowns, viewership for real madrid will go up massively in uk and ireland imo. The footall business is mainly about marketing and they attract interest with their clownishness, keeps them relevant. I'd say only united beat them in the marketing arena.

But that's all the pragmatic talk, I don't like it but I think they aren't as dumb as people make out.

Why would viewership go up here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Well, it's the shirt sales and the increase in revenue from Great Britain and Ireland. He will bring a lot more attention to Real Madrid from outside Spain.

As for his trademarked logo, let's see how it does before making assumptions.

Not really bale is not as popular as beckham was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Why would viewership go up here ?

I, for one, don't watch any Real Madrid league games. Planning on watching their next one and maybe a few across the season now.

I assume that I'm not the only person in the world who will switch on Madrid to see how Bale plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Madrid needed Suarez (or another striker) more than they needed Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Real Madrid will make a lot of money from Bale.

They're buying the Gareth Bale brand as well as the player.

Gareth Bale might become a Global brand, but he isn't at the moment. He's no David Beckham, most people wouldn't recognise him.

I hope it works out for him at Real, but it's a ridiculous amount of money to pay for someone who has more potential than achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Scott Wilson ‏@scottiewilson 1h

Southampton get no money from Bale sale as the cash-strapped club sold the 25% sell-on clause back to Spurs for £3m #ooya #thatsgottahurt

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Thank god next 24 hours be good now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Not really bale is not as popular as beckham was

Almost everyone ever is less popular than Beckham but that doesn't mean they are unprofitable and useless in the marketing world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Almost everyone ever is less popular than Beckham but that doesn't mean they are unprofitable and useless in the marketing world.
    Beckham went for €35m and wouldn't have been on nearly the same wages that Bale will be. His massive profile made it easy to shift a huge number of shirts. Bale won't make anywhere near the same commercial contribution to Real and, in fairness, nor should he be expected to

Which is the problem here: the move doesn't stack up on football or commercial grounds

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qOhDloy2w

Live video of the unveiling at the bernabeu.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Over 110K people watching on the Youtube live stream :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

BTJ1zlMCEAAWfH_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Bernabeu isn't exactly jammers for the World record signing.

BTJ6VTSCcAEPquD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

his keepy-uppy session is shíte.

waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just saw a fella with Reyes on the back of his jersey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Scored his first goal; half-volley :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

That thing of going around the stadium booting balls into the crowd... is that a Real tradition or a Spanish thing, or have I just never heard of this before? :confused::o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Jason Todd wrote: »
    That thing of going around the stadium booting balls into the crowd... is that a Real tradition or a Spanish thing, or have I just never heard of this before? :confused::o

Some young lad there must be sick. He caught one of the balls bale kicked in, but dropped it and the guy behind him snapped it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knex. wrote: »
    Bernabeu isn't exactly jammers for the World record signing.

BTJ6VTSCcAEPquD.jpg
    20,000 at the unveiling compared to 80,000 at Ronaldo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

GTR63 wrote: »

Or more money for Gareth Bale's already large Bank Account
    Sanitas are believed to have paid Bale around £10million to personally pick them over other hospitals available.

Either way, it's hard to believe the quoted figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Thank fook that's over adios Jug Ears :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He looks like a really excited kid at the press conference, a guy living a dream. The money is absolutely nuts of course, but its nice to see a player nervous and excited for a move, too many these days look like they couldn't give a ****.

Hope he does great out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Love this move. Real Madrid are just the ultimate dream club. Constantly push the boundries in football. What's acceptable and expected there is just on a different level to everywhere else. Bale isn't worth it but who cares? €100m barrier broken, Ronaldo and Bale on the same team coming at you. I'll be watching anyway.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Love this move. Real Madrid are just the ultimate dream club. Constantly push the boundries in football. What's acceptable and expected there is just on a different level to everywhere else. Bale isn't worth it but who cares? €100m barrier broken, Ronaldo and Bale on the same team coming at you. I'll be watching anyway.

Hardly standard bearers though in comparison to Barcelona or Bayern Munich in recent times who actually buy players with a vision as to where they fit into their side as opposed to buying a star name for the sake of it.

Any club that would let Ozil go in order to accommodate 'the latest thing' in football is nothing but a circus in my opinion.

Hardly standard bearers though in comparison to Barcelona or Bayern Munich in recent times who actually buy players with a vision as to where they fit into their side as opposed to buying a star name for the sake of it.

Any club that would let Ozil go in order to accommodate 'the latest thing' in football is nothing but a circus in my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but Real have operated this way for a long time and found success doing it for a long time. Insane stuff like this is why they're the biggest club in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Despite one of Barca's biggest recent transfers being Ibrahimovic who they sold because he didn't fit the team? and also in doing the deal with cash + Eto'o doing one of the terribly thought out deals in history?

All football teams can be nuts, not just Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion of course but Real have operated this way for a long time and found success doing it for a long time. Insane stuff like this is why they're the biggest club in world football.

They've been consistently ridiculous for 10 years now, and they haven't won a CL in that time. Not that much success really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MD1990 wrote: »
    20,000 at the unveiling compared to 80,000 at Ronaldo's

Ronaldos was at night time. There are still people in Spain that actually have jobs.

• Advertisement

They've been consistently ridiculous for 10 years now, and they haven't won a CL in that time. Not that much success really.

Ridiculous long before their last CL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Madrid is a total circus, Bale is inferior to Ozil don't care how you look at it. 90 assists nearly in 3 seasons from Ozil, Bale doesn't even come close.

As long as you don't buy players that are needed for your team, the well run teams will pass you buy easily i.e Dortmund, Barca, Bayern.

They havnt come close to winning the CL in 12 years. Furthest they gotten is the semi final and spent 5/6 seasons in a row getting knocked out in the last 16. In that time Barca have won it twice and Liverpool have been in 2 finals and won one, two teams who had spent a lot less.

2 players they deemed not good enough have won the CL since (Robben and Sneijder)

Galacticos way is dead and has been for a while. Moratta and Rodriguez would be best to get out of there too if they care at all about their career.

Corholio wrote: »
    Despite one of Barca's biggest recent transfers being Ibrahimovic who they sold because he didn't fit the team? and also in doing the deal with cash + Eto'o doing one of the terribly thought out deals in history?

All football teams can be nuts, not just Real

I accept your point that firstly i wouldnt suggest Barca or Bayern are perfect by any means and secondly that the continental model of a DOF buying players over the coach is not without its flaws and that is one example where Barca fell into the trap of buying a star to complement the other stars they have and being far too rash in selling Sammy Eto'o.

However, it would seem there was more influences to Ibra not being a success. Him and Pep never got on from the off and Messi is king there regardless of who comes in are just two to begin with.

In general though Barca have trusted their youth policy with Busquets, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Montoya and to a certain degree the likes of Fabregas and Pique are all products of their youth system and all have delievered numerous accolades for the club. Likewise Bayern have a strong tradition of bringing through youth coupled with recruiting the best young German talent.

Real by right should be winning more trophies but they have underachieved by comparison to Barca. Granted Ronaldo has been phenomenal and they somewhat put together a settled team under Mourinho's watch but their recruitment policy is proving to be more of a handicap then a blessing. Rather then being a team they are a collection of stars. It has all too much of a soap opera look about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

£5,927 Bale has earned already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

That is rough...

Agueroooo wrote: »
    £5,927 Bale has earned already.

I'd say his brand spanking new suit may have cost roughly that so he is going to have to be Gareth Bale for a few more hours to recoup it :D

Wonder could Spurs arrange for him to Swap places with Kenny McEvoy every so often and still reap the benefits of Bale? :D

article-2267000-171C3C88000005DC-690_306x423.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Ronaldo must be fuming. Ronaldo is the main man in Madrid. Will be interesting to see how they play together.

So after all that fuss about Real Madrid their net spending over the summer was 55 million. The club may even make a profit this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there they are sure.

caption anyone?

article_da7d9ca903360631_1378912845_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

SlickRic wrote: »
    there they are sure.

caption anyone?

"Hey, shorter, paler, less talented version of myself"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    there they are sure.

caption anyone?

The Predator remake underwhelmed somewhat.

BT5SKpHIAAANHqk.jpg

Bale checking out Ronaldo lol

MD1990 wrote: »
    BT5SKpHIAAANHqk.jpg

Bale checking out Ronaldo lol

Bale

3ps8hq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

"Hey, shorter, paler, less talented version of myself"

Predator is correct

predator1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

BUCWhkaCYAA8Lmz.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ouch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Raf32 wrote: »
    BUCWhkaCYAA8Lmz.jpg:large

Video of that incident.

I'd say Zizou is half tempted to register for the odd game still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Watch Benzemas reaction when he nutmegs him:D

Advertisement