Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built houses asking prices

Options
  • 22-08-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

apologies if this is some ridiculous question but I honestly have no clue. Basically just wondering whether in case of buying a new house (as just built or being built) the asking price is the price to be paid (set in stone kinda thing) or whether I can make an offer as this is the case when buying "2nd hand". thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can make an offer. Depending on where it is you may almost certainly have a bidding war or, more likely, be the first person they've seen in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

There is a good thread on here about buying a house in 2013, I would suggest you read the whole thread. By your question I suggest you spend some moths researching the property market in Ireland before even considering viewing any houses hths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

uli84 wrote: »
    apologies if this is some ridiculous question but I honestly have no clue. Basically just wondering whether in case of buying a new house (as just built or being built) the asking price is the price to be paid (set in stone kinda thing) or whether I can make an offer as this is the case when buying "2nd hand". thanks.

Traditionally the price was set in stone but times have changed. Developers these days would be surprised if you offered the full asking price

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It really depends on where the property is.
    If its within 40-50km of Dublin, or in close proximity to Waterford, Cork or Galway- forget it, haggling is probably out. If, on the other hand, its in the Midlands, West, NW or most of the rest of the country- go for it.

Note- if a builder is completing a house now- he may be completing property that was abondoned a few years ago. Recently a lot of these sites have recommenced work- paid for by NAMA or the banks. If this is the case- the builder may not have any say whatsoever on the pricing- it could very well be that the price on the dotted line, is the price, and good luck trying to negotiate on it.

As with any property- the key is- location, location, location........

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Waterford? Really ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    Waterford? Really ?

Apparently there is a shortage of houses in the city itself (and not the county). The same applies to Galway- its the city that has the shortage- not the county. Cork its a bit more widespread- and Dublin, well, the shortage has radiated outwards from South Dublin and goes as far as North Wicklow- and a nice ring around the Pale, including some parts of Meath.

Note- this is houses- *not* apartments.

These also correlate with the site restarts that received funding earlier this year- aka- if it was thought they could be sold- they send teams in to try to knock some shape into them.

Advertisement