Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

longest distance

• 22-08-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

which Irish county is longest from its most northenly point to its most southerly point thanks

Comments

From glancing at a map on my wall, I would say Tipperary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

gvn wrote: »
    From glancing at a map on my wall, I would say Tipperary.

Hmm. I'm not convinced - I'd say it could be touch and go with Donegal (also from glancing at a map on the wall, and using my fingers to measure) ... I haven't found a definitive source yet, but will keep looking.

--

Edit. The 1900 "atlas and cyclopedia of Ireland" is available here. It offers some basic dimensions on each county. Not sure if the boundaries changed substantially since its publication. In order of length:

Cork (here) "greatest length, from Crow Head to Youghal, 102 miles"

Galway (here): "Greatest length, from the bend of the Shannon near Eyrecourt in the east, to Aughrus Point in the west, 94 miles"

Donegal - (here): "Length from Inishowen Head to Malinmore Head, 84 miles"

Kerry (here) - Greatest length from Tarbert on the Shannon to Bolus Head, 69 miles.

Clare (here) - Greatest length from Loop Head to the boundary near Lough Atorick on the northeastern border, 67 miles;

Tipperary- Length, from the eastern corner of the Knockmealdown Mountains near the village of Ballinamult, to the junction of the Little Brosna River with the Shannon, 66 ¾ miles;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Cork? From it's northern border with Limerick to Mizen Head is about 125km according to Google maps.
    Donegal from Malin Head to the Leitrim border is about 118km
    Tipp is approx 107 north to south.
    All assuming the distance measurement tool on Google is accurate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

lottpaul wrote: »
    All assuming the distance measurement tool on Google is accurate
    It's pretty reliable but dependent on the user having some savvy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Has to be cork surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

By road or as the crow flies?

Advertisement