Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of Eircom Offerings/Cold Callings

Options
  • 22-08-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

well.. didnt know eircom had a page here, so as i spent 37 minutes on the phone to them last week, im just going to type this to you rather than call and make a complaint.

it will also make sure others are aware.

I'm with eircom 4 maybe 5 years. I used to have BB also up until Dec 2010, when i realised 3G with a mobile/wireless device was far more superior. o2 to be precise.

but back in 2009 when i had BB with eircom, at the time i got connected i had a 1mb line, which obviously turned in to a .8mb max (by the way this was like 45 quid a month including the off peak call package. so i ran to up grade to a 3mb line, and was charged i think about 50/55 a month. but realising my DL speed was only 1.6mb max. . i quickly made the call and was told the exchange is congested bla bla bla bla. . so i said, sure, can you just drop me back to the 1mb line, no point paying more for a little extra. . in dec 2010 i ditched eircom for BB and went with 02 wifi  3g. DL speed ranging 3-4mbs at any time. . . only gripe with it is the wifi unit is weak. and im moving it around the house for the best singals etc. . . 

so basically always keeping an eye on the eircom site hoping one day for a BB offer for maybe NG BB like an 8mb line in my area. . . never mind dreaming of efibre. 24 or 48 what ever mb . .  i dont listen do what i call (dublin/galway radio ads) ud think everyone lived in these 2 citys.

anyway, i am paying just 30/35 a month for phone only for the last 4 yrs. the deal is 30 a month, the 4/5 extra i pay, well this is simply because eirom decided to move off peak from 6 to 7pm, so when i come in from work, if i was to wait for off peak to make a call, id be sitting for 1hr and 30mins say, and as per my username, i farm.  .. anyway.  . thats just another nail in the coffin regarding this country and making changes for corp greed. . .. 

Got a lovely call from Andy in eircom last week.
    keep in mind now sky are flooding the mkt with all sorts of promises for BB. 

this was a 37 min call. . im going to put just the jist in down here. so bare with me.

2 mins in : uve been with eircom for yrs, u dont have bb with us. we can offer you a BB package, for 8mb line, the first 6 months are free, after that you pay 15eur a month extra. so thats 30+15, totally 45 a month after your 6 months free deal. .. .
    4mins in, i said. .. you go check your line now andy, you will find that it cant take it.
    5mins in., I just checked here, yes you have been upgraded. 
    6mins in , i said are you sure. . yes he replied, . . . then hold on a min. . ..
    8 mins in. . . i have just spoken with the techni here, and the vans were in the area this week and last, and the exhange has been upgraded. I said, well i see a new box in for ng or efiber for a yr or two now, but i know from various sources that its not been made available here.
    10 mins in, no no its upgraded.  . . I asked what speed can you guarantee me. .. he said min of 3mb. 
    I said, 3mb. your offering me 8, but only guaranteeing me 3mb, i said i can get 3-4mb on what i have.
    13 mins in, , I was told yes, but we need to specify a minimum, . . I then went on to say that its more or less the same as what i have. i pay 20eur to o2, so ill only save 5eur by switching.
    I said is there nothing else that i can get. I went down the whole area of Mike in dublin getting efibre for 40quid a month and getting a 24mb line etc.. or 5 miles in the down getting NGB for years, and surely there would be a better offer. 
    15mins in. I said can i take it and cancel it if its not up to speed, he said, well no, its a 1yr contract. 
    17 mins in, I was so shocked, i said, im with eircom for years, and you want to tie me up in a contract for a BB offer on top of my phone package that ive had for 4-5 yrs. yes he replied. (i knew this was something to do with all the sky offers i see for BB)
    18 mins in, I said, so 6 months free. 8mb line, min of 3mb should be got, then after the 6 months my bill will increase by 15eur...
    andy replied yes
    ok, but what if Im not happy about this and i dont find it better than my current BB. he said you have 7 day trial. . .
    20mins, in, that kinda swung me. i said go for it so, i had my wife beside me. we both agreed, try it. maybe its upgraded, maybe this is what we were looking for 1 supplier, better wifi in the house etc. .. it was flawless when we had it before, only for the speed.
    25 mins in, we had it all tied up, he had me on hold a bit, and confirming details, postage for the bb box etc. and how id get it up and running.

Andy then confirmed my order back to me. 

8mb line,
    6 months free,
    after the 6 months you pay an extra 20eur, on top of the 30 you paying already. .
    I said.. . . HOLD on a sec ther andy, 20, you;ve spoken about 15eur for this entire call. .. yes, i am sorry he replied, its 20, not 15. ..
    I was totally totally getting Peed off with this call.
    thinking now, its the exact same as what im paying now.
    around 27 mins in the call was getting heated. 
    I then decided, you know what, its ordered now, who knows, maybe ill get 6mb and only be paying the same as i am now.

So i said ok, ill agree to take it,
    30mins in. . . I confirmed it all back to him, and said how i wasnt happy. that i was been mis-sold an offer and at the end be fooled over a quick confirmation of order, only for i had my ears wide open, (which normally id say most poeple would be watching telly at this stage letting andy just talk away).
    anyway. . I remember when the gasket blew. ..  I was finishing up saying that its probably not too bad if ur offering min 3mb. ..Andy quickly replied max 3.

Hold on pal, you said min 3, now your telling me max 3, 

I then followed up fast with. . Andy, are you offering me a 8mb line for an extra 20quid, or a 3mb line for 20. 

the answer, 3mb for 20 extra. 

I said,..  . so we started this call 33mins ago. .. with 8mb for an extra 15eur a month, and we are ending it at 3mb for 20 extra. .

you can imagine now that i let this buck know my frustration. 

I told him, Thats not an upgrade. thats the 3mb line offer, that i had 4 years ago, that turned in to a 1.6mb connection that i cancelled within 24 hrs.
    I then said, why cant you offer me more. told me congestion on the line.
    I then followed up, Andy. . . you have max 3mb offerings . . in my area. .  .I KNOW NOBODY that has eircom BB in my area, village. . . etc. .

Listen. i ended the call well with him. . . i was actaully glad he rand making an offer on BB, its what im waiting for, but Geeees lads. . . . im totally peed off. 

needless to say, we only need the landline as the mrs is from up the country and she rings home a fair bit, and its easier than to be on a mobile stuck to a pain of glass for signal in the house.

anyway. . .

beware. . . geeeees just beware. .

and for eircom. .  careful what you are offering people. . ..  totally mis-leading. . .

im still 50/50 on whether it was deliberate.

NBF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I ordered my Package on the 5th and only got BB yesterday as there were no free ports at the exchange and they it was my line into the house was not working even though I previously has BB with them a good while back!

Anyway its on now but not getting the 12mb I was promised as im only just gettin 7 which works fine but why tell me 12??

Another thing is me paying  for 7mb while Joe up the road gets 24mb for the same price?

I know how you feel, tried to get a mobile/house package and after me calling them back for '3 weeks' and being told such and such will call you I gave up and went with an e-mobile deal.

There costumer service is in serious need of an over haul and they need to look after new sales a hell of a lot better. When you call up and give a ref number they never seem to be able to find it and you have to go through the whole process again.

There is great people in customer service and when I called to ask where my broadband went after about 6 people I got 2 fella's who got the ball moving and a girl who got it turned on a few hours after we talked.

Its the good staff who are let down by bad staff and don't get me stared on the ones who can just about speak english :/ Is there not some kind of language proficiency test??

Rant Over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I ordered my Package on the 5th and only got BB yesterday as there were no free ports at the exchange and they it was my line into the house was not working even though I previously has BB with them a good while back!

Anyway its on now but not getting the 12mb I was promised as im only just gettin 7 which works fine but why tell me 12??

Another thing is me paying  for 7mb while Joe up the road gets 24mb for the same price?

I know how you feel, tried to get a mobile/house package and after me calling them back for '3 weeks' and being told such and such will call you I gave up and went with an e-mobile deal.

There costumer service is in serious need of an over haul and they need to look after new sales a hell of a lot better. When you call up and give a ref number they never seem to be able to find it and you have to go through the whole process again.

There is great people in customer service and when I called to ask where my broadband went after about 6 people I got 2 fella's who got the ball moving and a girl who got it turned on a few hours after we talked.

Its the good staff who are let down by bad staff and don't get me stared on the ones who can just about speak english :/ Is there not some kind of language proficiency test??

Rant Over

Hi KwackerJack

Sorry to hear about the initial problems / misinformation you had when setting up the broadband. Thanks for the post.

Feel free to PM me if you need me to following up on anything

Mark  

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

did eircom just ignore the post I made . . .

krikey.  .  . 

didnt think things were this bad.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

did eircom just ignore the post I made . . .

krikey.  .  . 

didnt think things were this bad.. .
    You still think 50/50 on deliberate?

well.. didnt know eircom had a page here, so as i spent 37 minutes on the phone to them last week, im just going to type this to you rather than call and make a complaint.

I'm with eircom 4 maybe 5 years. I used to have BB also up until Dec 2010, when i realised 3G with a mobile/wireless device was far more superior. o2 to be precise.

but back in 2009 when i had BB with eircom, at the time i got connected i had a 1mb line, which obviously turned in to a .8mb max (by the way this was like 45 quid a month including the off peak call package. so i ran to up grade to a 3mb line, and was charged i think about 50/55 a month. but realising my DL speed was only 1.6mb max. . i quickly made the call and was told the exchange is congested bla bla bla bla. . so i said, sure, can you just drop me back to the 1mb line, no point paying more for a little extra. . in dec 2010 i ditched eircom for BB and went with 02 wifi  3g. DL speed ranging 3-4mbs at any time. . . only gripe with it is the wifi unit is weak. and im moving it around the house for the best singals etc. . . 

so basically always keeping an eye on the eircom site hoping one day for a BB offer for maybe NG BB like an 8mb line in my area. . . never mind dreaming of efibre. 24 or 48 what ever mb . .  i dont listen do what i call (dublin/galway radio ads) ud think everyone lived in these 2 citys.

anyway, i am paying just 30/35 a month for phone only for the last 4 yrs. the deal is 30 a month, the 4/5 extra i pay, well this is simply because eirom decided to move off peak from 6 to 7pm, so when i come in from work, if i was to wait for off peak to make a call, id be sitting for 1hr and 30mins say, and as per my username, i farm.  .. anyway.  . thats just another nail in the coffin regarding this country and making changes for corp greed. . .. 

this was a 37 min call. . im going to put just the jist in down here. so bare with me.

2 mins in : uve been with eircom for yrs, u dont have bb with us. we can offer you a BB package, for 8mb line, the first 6 months are free, after that you pay 15eur a month extra. so thats 30+15, totally 45 a month after your 6 months free deal. .. .
    4mins in, i said. .. you go check your line now andy, you will find that it cant take it.
    6mins in , i said are you sure. . yes he replied, . . . then hold on a min. . ..
    8 mins in. . . i have just spoken with the techni here, and the vans were in the area this week and last, and the exhange has been upgraded. I said, well i see a new box in for ng or efiber for a yr or two now, but i know from various sources that its not been made available here.
    10 mins in, no no its upgraded.  . . I asked what speed can you guarantee me. .. he said min of 3mb. 
    I said, 3mb. your offering me 8, but only guaranteeing me 3mb, i said i can get 3-4mb on what i have.
    13 mins in, , I was told yes, but we need to specify a minimum, . . I then went on to say that its more or less the same as what i have. i pay 20eur to o2, so ill only save 5eur by switching.
    I said is there nothing else that i can get. I went down the whole area of Mike in dublin getting efibre for 40quid a month and getting a 24mb line etc.. or 5 miles in the down getting NGB for years, and surely there would be a better offer. 
    15mins in. I said can i take it and cancel it if its not up to speed, he said, well no, its a 1yr contract. 
    17 mins in, I was so shocked, i said, im with eircom for years, and you want to tie me up in a contract for a BB offer on top of my phone package that ive had for 4-5 yrs. yes he replied. (i knew this was something to do with all the sky offers i see for BB)
    18 mins in, I said, so 6 months free. 8mb line, min of 3mb should be got, then after the 6 months my bill will increase by 15eur...
    andy replied yes
    ok, but what if Im not happy about this and i dont find it better than my current BB. he said you have 7 day trial. . .
    20mins, in, that kinda swung me. i said go for it so, i had my wife beside me. we both agreed, try it. maybe its upgraded, maybe this is what we were looking for 1 supplier, better wifi in the house etc. .. it was flawless when we had it before, only for the speed.
    25 mins in, we had it all tied up, he had me on hold a bit, and confirming details, postage for the bb box etc. and how id get it up and running.

8mb line,
    6 months free,
    after the 6 months you pay an extra 20eur, on top of the 30 you paying already. .
    I said.. . . HOLD on a sec ther andy, 20, you;ve spoken about 15eur for this entire call. .. yes, i am sorry he replied, its 20, not 15. ..
    I then decided, you know what, its ordered now, who knows, maybe ill get 6mb and only be paying the same as i am now.

30mins in. . . I confirmed it all back to him, and said how i wasnt happy. that i was been mis-sold an offer and at the end be fooled over a quick confirmation of order, only for i had my ears wide open, (which normally id say most poeple would be watching telly at this stage letting andy just talk away).
    anyway. . I remember when the gasket blew. ..  I was finishing up saying that its probably not too bad if ur offering min 3mb. ..Andy quickly replied max 3.

I then followed up fast with. . Andy, are you offering me a 8mb line for an extra 20quid, or a 3mb line for 20. 

I said,..  . so we started this call 33mins ago. .. with 8mb for an extra 15eur a month, and we are ending it at 3mb for 20 extra. .

I told him, Thats not an upgrade. thats the 3mb line offer, that i had 4 years ago, that turned in to a 1.6mb connection that i cancelled within 24 hrs.
    I then followed up, Andy. . . you have max 3mb offerings . . in my area. .  .I KNOW NOBODY that has eircom BB in my area, village. . . etc. .

Listen. i ended the call well with him. . . i was actaully glad he rand making an offer on BB, its what im waiting for, but Geeees lads. . . . im totally peed off. 

needless to say, we only need the landline as the mrs is from up the country and she rings home a fair bit, and its easier than to be on a mobile stuck to a pain of glass for signal in the house.

anyway. . .

and for eircom. .  careful what you are offering people. . ..  totally mis-leading. . .

NBF

Hi NewBeefFarmer

Apologies, I did not ignore the post. I thought you were going to see if there was any change after after upgrade was issued on the phone and then update the thread. If you want to PM the details I can chase it up for you.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

PM sent

andy replied yes

8mb line,
    6 months free,

anyway. . .

NBF

Hi NewBeefFarmer

I sent you a reply via Pm just with an update on the package / broadband availability. I  have update your complaint and sent on the feedback to managers in sales as well.

Mark 

Advertisement