Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Clueless!

Options
  • 22-08-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey guys, been looking through the threads but a lot need certain herbs, spices, ingredients whatever.
    I'm pretty much still in student mode....fairly broke and don't know how to cook. Never did home ec and myself and my siblings pretty much grew up on whatever we could cook ourselves, parents always working, so instant noodles, pizza, pasta, potato waffles, rice krispies..!

All I know how to cook and always cook - spaghetti bol, chicken breast stir fry (frozen stir fry), toasted chedder/brie cheese and ham sandwhiches, and scrambled eggs! I know, desperate :S

Can anyone give me some very cheap and easy ideas,.....with the usual ingredients, like onions, bell and chili peppers or sweet chili, cheese, eggs, milk, frozen veg/stirfry.... they're the main things i'd buy!

Don't have any herbs or spices, and if I was to buy some I'd want some that'd be handy for lots of meals not just the odd one yano.

Im totally clueless! been munching on corn flakes non stop lately, saving my money for a big shop once i finally know what to cook :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What type of food do you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If you are stocking a kitchen for the first time, here is a list of some basic ingredients that would cover a multitude of dishes

Herbs - these are the basic herbs that you'll find in all kitchens
    Parsley
    Oregano
    Sage
    Thyme
    Basil
    Coriander
    Bay leaves
    Rosemary
    Mint

Spices - again, the basic spices you'd find in most kitchens
    Paprika
    Ground Cumin
    Ground Coriander Seed
    Chilli Powder
    Turmeric (maybe)
    Curry Powder
    Cinnamon
    Ground ginger

Get some stock, the Knorr Stockpot range is quite good - get the beef & chicken ones, maybe the veg ones too. Oxo would do too.

Get some curry paste, either a red or green thai, or a madras

Pick up some tins of tomatoes & coconut milk - get some different types of pasta, noodles and rice.

Get a block of good parmesan cheese (not pre grated), some cream and butter.

Flour - get plain and self raising, or just plain and baking soda.

Pick up some Balsamic vinegar, olive oil

Onions, garlic and fresh root ginger.

Red & Green peppers, chillies, brocolli, spuds, carrots, celery.

Whatever meat you like - chikcen fillets, pork chops, stewing beef, sirloin, lamb chops, mince etc

I assume you have salt & pepper, if not get a pepper mill with peppercorns in it that you grind out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oh, most, if not all, of those listed above would be available at student-affordable prices in any Asian grocery store, if you tell us where you are someone will be able to direct you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This forum's FAQ thread has links to a lot of threads with recipes too http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055321234

Have a browse through the forum, and the Cooking Club - there are step by step recipes in there and not all of them are complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

The Stone Soup blog is a handy resource if you're feeling overwhelmed by ingredients lists. Most of the recipes only use 5 ingredients and the author includes substitutions or alternatives for most of them:

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/recipe-index-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Jamie Olivers mexican eggs (recipe has bay leaves, I always forget them):

Fry a little garlic with chopped peppers and onions. Pour in two tins of (decent quality) tinned tomatoes. Add chilli flakes and black pepper and a pinch of salt. Make a little hole in the mixture and crack in an egg. Repeat depending on how many eggs you need.

I use a wide pan with a lid as I find this helps them poach better. Spoon an egg and the mixture into a tortilla wrap, top with cheese (and sour cream if you have it) - yum!

While it's technically for breakfast, I think it's a great makey-upy dinner as when I think I have ran out of food (ie meat!) I still always have eggs, ends of peppers, cheese and a tin of tomatoes. I always keep packets of Aldi wraps on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmybob13

Havent had a chance to check the replies properly, but they look like savage ideas, cheers guys!
    I'm taking my chances on a cheap version of spicy chicken wings!.....but im using drumsticks because I got 14 for less then 3euro in tesco! im cookin 5 right now and freezing the rest!

I bought some hot chili powder and mixed herbs, and some bottled blue cheese........ i looked up how best to cook them, and so i rubbed them in olive oil, then sprinkled the 2 things on them... stuck them in at 190 degrees

should be ready in 25 -30 min (put them in 5 min ago)..... gunna dip them in the blue cheese stuff then. I'll let ye know how it goes!

Advertisement