Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Belmont, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Heard it from Sherry Fitzgerald on Saturday and was confirmed by our solicitor today who is just waiting to see the documents to be absolutely certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shedzafew

That's good news. Hopefully there are no further issues with it and people holding off on signing contracts will now be in a position to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

Shedzafew wrote: »
    That's good news. Hopefully there are no further issues with it and people holding off on signing contracts will now be in a position to complete.

All we need now is for Developer's solicitors to send revised contracts.
    Good news indeed. (not the completion date though!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

trveller72 wrote: »
    North Dublin for instance? That would be positive equity, I bet.

Yup..much better value on the northside for well-built houses in mature areas,without title issue and estate agents playing games.

Stepaside isn't actually Dublin...it's Co Dublin and a long way from the city centre.

Anybody who thinks theses represent any kind of value for money with an increase of 45k since october needs to have a lie down.

Wallander wrote: »
    Chopper - I feel you have taken my remarks about pyrite yesterday out of context. Just to be clear to everyone I was talking about this in relation to an entirely different estate where a friend of mine was trying to buy a few years back in order to explain the general limits of the snagging system. From what I know it would be extremely unlikely for pyrite to be a concern in Belmont.

There is no such thing as "extremely unlikely" with new builds.

You must pay to have proper surveying done of the foundations and the house generally....my Ssiter and Bro in law didnt and they now have to move out for 4 months while their house is gutted and pretty much rebuilt...these means moving everything they own plus three children into an apartment while the work is being completed.

The bill for the remedial work is in excess of 80k and they were extremely lucky to be covered by homebond.

If they were to do it again they would happily have paid for a structural engineer's report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Baileys4

chopper6 wrote: »
    Yup..much better value on the northside for well-built houses in mature areas,without title issue and estate agents playing games.

Stepaside isn't actually Dublin...it's Co Dublin and a long way from the city centre.

Anybody who thinks theses represent any kind of value for money with an increase of 45k since october needs to have a lie down.

Chopper, I have to disagree with there being much better value in North Dublin with similar square footage, BER rating and transport links to the city. The fact is that Belmont represents very good value even within Stepaside (similar sized 3 beds in Stepaside are going for >€365k versus €350k current pricing or €335k pricing in phase one)

Last time I checked Co Dublin is still in fact in Dublin and only 11km from the city centre. It's also only 25mins on the Luas, a lot quicker than Dublin Bus or trains to North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

Chopper, sorry your sister had so much trouble with her house, hope everything is sorted for them now.

However, I think pyrite is mainly an issue in the North Dublin & Fingal areas. Never heard of it being a problem around here, and I've lived in the area pretty much all my life. Belmont is just another phase of the Aikens Village development and there have been no issues in the 10 years since that was built.

Also, while there may well be comparable areas in North Dublin where prices are cheaper, it might not suit everyone to live there.

Jolisa94 wrote: »
    Chopper, sorry your sister had so much trouble with her house, hope everything is sorted for them now.

However, I think pyrite is mainly an issue in the North Dublin & Fingal areas. Never heard of it being a problem around here, and I've lived in the area pretty much all my life. Belmont is just another phase of the Aikens Village development and there have been no issues in the 10 years since that was built.

Also, while there may well be comparable areas in North Dublin where prices are cheaper, it might not suit everyone to live there.

Pyrite problems can take 10 years or more to manifest themselves...i'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade but if there are issues with title and the land registry and the estate agents it would be wise to check for pyrite too.

Paying that sort of money for a new house you would need to make certain it's going to be perfect.

On a lighter note....if anybody requires a Family Home Declaration in order to buy a property be advised that a solicitor will charge up to 300 euro for one.

I will email one free gratis to anybody who wants it and all they will need to pay for is a Commisioner For Oath's signature(approx 20 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Baileys4 wrote: »
    Chopper, I have to disagree with there being much better value in North Dublin with similar square footage, BER rating and transport links to the city. The fact is that Belmont represents very good value even within Stepaside (similar sized 3 beds in Stepaside are going for >€365k versus €350k current pricing or €335k pricing in phase one)

Last time I checked Co Dublin is still in fact in Dublin and only 11km from the city centre. It's also only 25mins on the Luas, a lot quicker than Dublin Bus or trains to North Dublin.

As someone who lives in the area myself it's a disaster public transport-wise IMO. I've been here just over 2 years now (originally from the northside).

You have the 47 which is only every hour for most of the day and still as long as 30 mins during the peak rush. It also takes an age to get in/out of town.
    Yes there's the LUAS but that's still a good walk away as well. Grand on a nice sunny morning like today - not so much in the weather we had last week. Luckily I have a car.

Closest major shopping centre is Dundrum, a place that is a disaster from a traffic perspective and while there's parking, it'll cost you €2 minimum the minute you drive in to the place. Personally I can't stand the place.. it's like they took Blanch SC and shoe-horned it in to an area a third the size, and it's full of what I'd call Celtic Tiger hangover shops. Liffey Valley or Blanch itself is a far better setup IMO.

You have 2 Dunnes Stores near-ish (again, car required) - both of which are overpriced and represent poor value IMO.. or maybe that's the just the norm on this side of the city. There is a shop in the complex but it's far from cheap too (something I've seen complained about on their Facebook page).

If it wasn't close to work, and if I wasn't getting a great deal on a place here I'd probably move. The place I'm in is fine for myself but if I was raising a family I'd find it very cramped very fast I think and the lack of anything to do without realistically needing a car would put me off too. I just don't "get" the obsession with this part of the city, and I'd agree with chopper that there's far better value elsewhere.

On the plus side, the Belarmine complex is nice, well-maintained and quiet but the speed at which they threw up this new development would concern me.
    Aside from the well-noted title issues in this thread, chopper is right to advise people be thorough and not take the oh-so-Irish "ah shure it'll be grand" attitude - ESPECIALLY given those other issues.

I'd also advise anyone considering buying a place to take a good look/drive around the wider area and see how it'll fit your needs BEFORE you commit.

Yes there's a lot out there on Pyrite and it's clear that most affected houses were built in North Dublin and its outskirts from around 2001 to 2004. There have been new regulations which should further reduce the danger of this.

We are aware that Stepaside isn't the most bustling or well equipped area but with the Luas 10 minutes walk from Belmont and the M50, N11 and Dundrum all close by, we are pretty happy with the location. The main attraction of it for us is the real family atmosphere, we see loads of young families every time we go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

chopper6 wrote: »

My wife has been nagging me for ages about buying up there, "great value etc etc" finally she seen the light when she spoke to the estate agent and seen the jump in price for the 4 bed..

The cycle is returning..

Kaiser, when getting public transport you are going to be affected by the weather no matter where you live. The Luas is a 10 minute walk away, to most this would not be classified as a good walk.

If you don't like dundrum that's fine but your arguments against it are weak. Driving there has never been an issue for me. I would avoid it at peak times, the same way I would avoid driving to any other shopping centre on Saturdays/ December 19th-14th. The Luas from glencairn to the town centre is less than 15 minutes if you do not fancy taking the car. Most people would see 3 hours of secure underground security monitored parking for €2 as very good value. Liffey Vally and Blanch cannot compete with the selection of shops there also. There is also nowhere near the same level of undesirables lurking around.

The market shop in Belarmine village can be expensive for some items but is cheaper than a centra/spar. The two Dunnes Stores represent excellent value to me, constantly doing offers. Both have free parking and great selections at very competitive prices.
    In relation to the houses being thrown up this quite simply isn’t the case. Phase 2 has been going on for about 8 months now and is still not complete. An engineer who has snagged a number of the houses up there already has commented in this thread that all the houses he has been in have been of high quality.

Can you please share some examples of these homes on the northside that represent better value?

I have to agree with Shedzafew, Baileys and Wallander. Stepaside is a lovely place to live, it’s a quiet and settled area, family friendly and, while not exactly central, everything we need is close by, as well as the local shop, there is a GP, pharmacy and a community centre.

In the almost 10 years that we've lived here we've never experienced any kind of trouble, no burglaries, no antisocial behaviour.

I work in town and the transport situation is not that bad – it takes around 40 mins to get into Stephen’s Green on the Luas, including a ten mins walk to Glencairn, which I don’t consider particularly burdensome.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Or 25 minutes on your bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭stepinnman

As you'll guess from the handle - I'm a local too, and I'm pretty surprised at some of the comments with regard to transport links / location etc. Not that this thread should really become a northside - v - southside thing, but I imagine in any similar sized suburb (which afterall is what Stepaside is) on the Northside, or anywhere else on the Southside for that matter, would have the exact same 'issues' - i.e. you need a car to drive to the shops to do your shopping / infrequent bus links / slightly over-priced local shops...

I've lived in Stepaside for 7 years now and I can't think of a much nicer place in Dublin to live, within easy access (admittedly by car) of several local supermarkets, a short walk to the nearest LUAS - which runs like clockwork - and a 20 minute cycle into town (admittedly it takes a bit longer coming home!).

There's also something of a sense of a local community with several good schools and a nice village centre (and any amount of pitch n' putt / Par 3 golf courses!).

No doubt the latest impending increase in the population will place a strain on some services, but hopefully some particularly business-savvy folks will see opportunity in that and meet any needs that arise. Obviously that it backwards in terms of town planning but it was ever thus.

Everyone's experience is of course their own, and I don't want to denigrate anyone's views, rather I can only give my own that Stepaside is among the best places to live in Dublin.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Shedzafew wrote: »
    Kaiser, when getting public transport you are going to be affected by the weather no matter where you live. The Luas is a 10 minute walk away, to most this would not be classified as a good walk.

If you don't like dundrum that's fine but your arguments against it are weak. Driving there has never been an issue for me. I would avoid it at peak times, the same way I would avoid driving to any other shopping centre on Saturdays/ December 19th-14th. The Luas from glencairn to the town centre is less than 15 minutes if you do not fancy taking the car. Most people would see 3 hours of secure underground security monitored parking for €2 as very good value. Liffey Vally and Blanch cannot compete with the selection of shops there also. There is also nowhere near the same level of undesirables lurking around.

The market shop in Belarmine village can be expensive for some items but is cheaper than a centra/spar. The two Dunnes Stores represent excellent value to me, constantly doing offers. Both have free parking and great selections at very competitive prices.
    In relation to the houses being thrown up this quite simply isn’t the case. Phase 2 has been going on for about 8 months now and is still not complete. An engineer who has snagged a number of the houses up there already has commented in this thread that all the houses he has been in have been of high quality.

Can you please share some examples of these homes on the northside that represent better value?

Look back to the start of the thread for more wildly inaccurate stuff from the same poster about a one mile walk to stepasjde being 'not really walkable' and massive queues to leave aikens village in the morning.

Some posters on the thread appear to have either big chips on their shoulder or other motives to try and convince people to go elsewhere for their homes, what they are is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

No probs, morrigan, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I was told at the weekend that all those "issues" are now sorted out... Awaiting confirmation from my solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bex12

Hi there,

I have recently placed a booking deposit (last Saturday) on one of the 'Powerscourt' properties in the new Belmont estate. I believe this is the 2nd phase of houses. I have just been approved for a mortgage and I am ready to go through the buying process.

I am however a little nervous reading the comments on the threads from the last few months. Is there anyone here that has actually closed the sale on a house in this development and if so did you have any major concerns/issues..or do you still? Also there has been some comments in relation to the building structures changing and poor workmanship. Has anyone experienced these issues? This is a little worrying and I don't fancy hearing my next door neighbors business through the walls!

I am a first time buyer so I'm a little nervous about taking the plunge with so many negative comments. Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated! :)

Someone put the link up here recently that there were a dozen or so who are registered as closed from the first phase. They'd have to speak for themselves but I believe they're pretty happy. Most of the recent debates on here concern those who were recently sent contracts for the second phase. You are in the third phase.

In general there have been a few issues and surprises for us (such as the land not getting registered under the developers' name until last Friday and the quotes for management fees being a lot more than we were initially told). These haven't put me off personally despite requiring plenty of research on here and enquiries from our solicitor. My main advice would be to get a good solicitor, although I hope things might be relatively smooth by the time you get your contract. If it all goes ok, which it should for everyone from this stage, then I really think the finished development will be a great place to live.

• Advertisement

Dealing with the vendor’s solicitor has been painful, however, at this stage most of the bigger issues have been sorted out and the process should be smoother for phase 3.

Many of the phase 1 houses have now completed and are occupied. I think the property price register is behind, I did a search recently for all of Dublin just to check, and it was only showing up to December 2013 for all areas.

As to the build quality, there has been a lot of speculation, and a certain amount of scaremongering on this thread. As far as I know there are no major issues, but maybe someone who’s already moved in can shed some light on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bells 1978

I'm thinking of starting a new thread - "Looking forward to living in Belmont"

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Baileys4

Bex12 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have recently placed a booking deposit (last Saturday) on one of the 'Powerscourt' properties in the new Belmont estate. I believe this is the 2nd phase of houses. I have just been approved for a mortgage and I am ready to go through the buying process.

I am however a little nervous reading the comments on the threads from the last few months. Is there anyone here that has actually closed the sale on a house in this development and if so did you have any major concerns/issues..or do you still? Also there has been some comments in relation to the building structures changing and poor workmanship. Has anyone experienced these issues? This is a little worrying and I don't fancy hearing my next door neighbors business through the walls!

I am a first time buyer so I'm a little nervous about taking the plunge with so many negative comments. Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated! :)

Hi Bex,

We moved in in December and I'll second some of the comments regarding dealing with the vendors solicitor being painful but as we were among the first to close, this was possibly somewhat expected. All I would suggest is to make sure you have a good solicitor and that you read everything thoroughly yourself for things your solicitor may not spot e.g. Getting the correct house plans etc as previously documented by another poster.

In terms of the quality of workmanship, I can't fault it and agree 100% on some of the scaremongering comments on here. Everything that we included in our snag was complete and I have to commend how easy the foreman are to deal with. They've done some extras for us and others which has been above & beyond what I'd expect. We along with some neighbours did have teething issues after we moved in but as soon as we mentioned them to the foreman, they've been sorted straight away.

We couldn't be happier with our decision to buy in Belmont

Many thanks for your replies and feedback on your progress. You've certainly put my mind at ease, it's great to hear from someone that has actually moved in and is happy with everything. We will receive the contract early next week so fingers crossed everything will go smoothly. I am a little worried about the parking spaces, I think someone mentioned there is 2 allocated per house? Is this right? From the plans it could be very tight should everyone have this allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

2 at most. It's going to be tight for the houses with Carports to fit 2 cars into their allocated spaces. My bet is that this will be the biggest long term issue in the estate. One kiddie's brithday party could cause chaos for a while, to think of an obvious example. I've wondered where they think they're going to put the go-cars that have been advertised as being available once the development is established and there is demand.

Yes I reckon so, I had a drive around the development again last night and I think by the time everyone is in, it's pretty much 1 space per house taking into consideration that it'll be very much a family development so they'll be alot of people carriers, jeeps etc..

Bex from the houses that are completed in the development so far (Phase 1) there is space for 2 cars per house. Loftus close (yellow houses looking out onto the road) all have a minimum of 2 allocated. There are 3-4 homes in the rest of phase one that have to park their 2nd car outside their house, this does not appear impede with any of the vehicles getting by. I didn't really investigate parking in the future phases so I will have a look into it. I think there are viewings this weekend again so might pop up for a peek.

I do see parking getting tight with house warming’s/parties where people may be looking to leave their car overnight. Hopefully they keep the make shift car park at the entrance to the estate for the indefinite future to cope with visitors.... I very much doubt this will happen though.

That sounds great, 2 spots would be a major plus for us. I guess I'll have more details when I get the contract next week. Thanks for that. I'll be popping up myself again next Sunday for a little nose around. No harm in getting a good look over on the house again. I could not get over the amount of people there last week. I'm delighted now we were able to secure a deposit on one. It's getting exciting! :)

If you have a Powerscourt you should have 2 spaces either in front or to the side, depending on where the house is. I think the people who will have the real issues with parking on a day to day basis are those on the main avenue with a carport.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Be aware that parking will be an issue for all new developments in south dublin, the rest of aikens and belarmine planning permission only allowed 1.5 spaces per dwelling! The planners basis being that this would encourage public transport use. Current guidelines I believe is 2 max, no matter size of house.

Advertisement