Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Belmont, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

Aikens village only has one assigned parking space per dwelling, be that a one bed appartment or a four bed house. Its not really a problem though because there is plenty of guest parking provided.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Jolisa94 wrote: »
    Aikens village only has one assigned parking space per dwelling, be that a one bed appartment or a four bed house. Its not really a problem though because there is plenty of guest parking provided.

That is not really correct, there are few enough visitor spaces, about 1 for every 8 dwellings. Nearly all houses have 2 spaces assigned and all apartments have one space. It varies slightly from one development to the next, 'aikens village' was developed over a long time. Clon brugh, Grianan Fidh etc all built at different times with different pros and cons.

The main reason parking isn't a total disaster is that people use all the pull in places that are actually not supposed to be used as parking for parking and some of the developments have parking spaces from apartments that weren't built.

OK, well I live in Cluain Shee and in that section there is one assigned space per house / appartment. We have two cars and never have a problem finding space for the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

copacetic wrote: »
    Be aware that parking will be an issue for all new developments in south dublin, the rest of aikens and belarmine planning permission only allowed 1.5 spaces per dwelling! The planners basis being that this would encourage public transport use. Current guidelines I believe is 2 max, no matter size of house.

I don't think the reasoning behind the parking space allocation is to encourage public transport use. The DLR County Development Plan states that the primary determiner of mode is whether there is parking available at the destination (i.e. work, education, comparison shopping) rather than at the origin (home). So offices will have parking maximums (especially on QBC/rail corridors) whereas residences will usually have minimums, or at least no maximums.

The developer comes into it too: he's not going to build more spaces than necessary and wants to get maximum utility out of the space.

There may be a condition attached to Belmont in this regard though that I am not aware of.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Aard wrote: »
    I don't think the reasoning behind the parking space allocation is to encourage public transport use. The DLR County Development Plan states that the primary determiner of mode is whether there is parking available at the destination (i.e. work, education, comparison shopping) rather than at the origin (home). So offices will have parking maximums (especially on QBC/rail corridors) whereas residences will usually have minimums, or at least no maximums.

The developer comes into it too: he's not going to build more spaces than necessary and wants to get maximum utility out of the space.

There may be a condition attached to Belmont in this regard though that I am not aware of.

I can't find proof right now. but I'm pretty sure that all the developments in the area applied for 2 spaces as part of planning and had it reduced to average 1.5 in the planning grant.

Edit, see answer to question from 08 below indicating council only gives 1 space to own developments and what a planning allows for in others. Copy and past didn't table the spaces per development but the link shows the varying level per aikens village phases, none of them at 2 spaces.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Meetings/2008/ddtedp/mar08.htm
    DD/192/08
    Park Spaces for new Developments

Question: Councillor J. Byrne

“To ask the Manager does current planning guidelines allow for the provision of enough parking spaces for new developments especially taking into account the ongoing lack of parking spaces in many recently constructed developments taken into account that there is generally two cars per property but on average only 1.2 spaces are allowed for?”

“As a general ‘rule of thumb’ parking standards usually sought by the planning authority in new residential schemes is:-

1 bedroom units parking 1 –1.25 spaces
    2 bedroom units parking 1.5 spaces
    3/4 bedroom units parking 2 spaces
    Social units parking 1 space (this the ratio the Council uses on its own schemes)

Given the ‘typical’ mix in new residential schemes in recent years the average parking ratio tends to be in the order of 1.5 across the development.

Taking the developing area of Stepaside as an example the following table gives a reasonable indication of the level of car parking provision across a spread and number of developers/sites (both ‘open market’ and Social & Affordable)

SITE
    REG. REF
    UNITS
    PARKING
    SPACES
    RATIO
    Littlewood
    D01A/0498
    Belarmine
    D02A/0884
    Belarmine Hall-S&A
    D04A/1575
    Belarmine Village
    D06A/0714
    165*
    Parkview
    D05A/1082
    Parkview-S&A
    D06A/0227
    LOW
    D03A/0603
    LOW
    D06A/1944
    Richardson
    D05A/1000
    Aikens Village 1
    D01A/0693
    Aikens Village 3
    D02A/0217
    Aikens Village 4
    D01A/0822
    Aikens Village 5
    D03A/0942
    480*
    Aikens Village 6
    D01A/0480
    270*
    Aikens Village 3/5
    D06A/1591
    1317*
    * Includes a component of commercial/retail parking

It is unclear where the average 1.2 spaces per unit referred to in the question
    has its origins. The vast majority of the schemes referred to above show an average car parking ratio of between 1.4 – 1.6 spaces per unit.”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sounds mad Ted. People splunking up to or north of 400K to buy a house in an area with shedloads of open space surrounding it at the periphery of the city, and there are going to be issues with parking spaces? A poster saying that 2 spaces would be a "major plus". Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I've gone for a Derrybawn. It has a carport. My daughter will be living with us for a while, so her car plus ours - that's three! The car port is described as two, which is nonsense. One will stick out right across the pavement, the third parked on the road outside.... not easy.

That said, if all the issues previously raised are satisfactorily dealt with, we're all systems go.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shedzafew

Have anyone's solicitors been in contact in relation to the supposed resolution of the charge and land registration issues?

Where do people stand with regards signing the contracts if these issues have been sorted? Is there anyone holding off on signing for any other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 swan1845

Hi I am possibly interested in a home in Belmont. I have to sell a current property however - so I am wondering about the co-ordination of the whole thing i.e the Belmont sales process is very tight 21 days etc. What if you did not sell your current house by the time the 21 days kicks in how strict are the Estate Agents. Has anybody had to sell there house while trying to buy Belmont?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

You won't get the new house in 21 days, that's just when you need to sign contracts, it will be much longer before you draw down on the mortgage, you will need the deposit.

At the moment all Belmont homes are sold, unless someone pulls out, there won't be any new homes on sale until the summer according to Sherry Fitz, so you will have plenty of time to sell your current home.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 swan1845

Thanks for replying was more worried about paying the large deposit by 21 days if you did have to pull out of the deal would you get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shedzafew

The booking deposit of €5,000 is refundable up until the contracts are signed and the balance of the 10% non refundable deposit is paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

[QUOTE=Jolisa94;89087792]. As far as I know there are no major issues, but maybe someone who’s already moved in can shed some light on this one.[/QUOTE]

Thats not good enough if you're going to be dropping that amount of money on a new build....if you *dont* get a proper survey done you will have nobody to blame if stuff goes wrong...it really is a false economy not to get it done.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Thats not good enough if you're going to be dropping that amount of money on a new build....if you *dont* get a proper survey done you will have nobody to blame if stuff goes wrong...it really is a false economy not to get it done.

Obviously I'm going to get a proper survey done by a profesional before handing over any money ................... you seem to have a very low opinion of the people posting on this site!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

spockety wrote: »
    Sounds mad Ted. People splunking up to or north of 400K to buy a house in an area with shedloads of open space surrounding it at the periphery of the city, and there are going to be issues with parking spaces? A poster saying that 2 spaces would be a "major plus". Jesus wept.

This.
    It seems that every new development now come with a postage stamp sized back garden and no front garden with driveway. Yet often there is a big featureless green area in the middle with no trees or any redeeming features. Lucan seems to be full of estates like this. I just don't understand why they are getting away with this. Is having a garden now seen as only for old people in their old houses?

Go across to Europe or the states and where there are house there are decent sized gardens, I really don't get it at all.
    Our house is a small house but we can park two cars in the driveway and another two out front if we had to when entertaining for example. If you were to buy a new 5 bed house in Glenageary - http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/brickfield-at-honeypark-glenageary-road-upper/2743000 you would be doing well to fit two cars out front only, forget about guests. Heres another example of something similar in Stepaside in D18 - http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/belmont-4-bed-homes-stepaside-dublin-18/2698664 . At least the Glenageary one has some decent landscaping nearby, but I'd prefer to landscape my own decent sized gardens, with private gated parking.

Seems to me that most younger Irish (and British) people want to live in glorified apartments with a sightly bigger balcony out back they can call a "garden".

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Obviously I'm going to get a proper survey done by a profesional before handing over any money ................... you seem to have a very low opinion of the people posting on this site!!!

Not at all...but then lots of people dont bother(including my own family) and then find out later the house is riddled with pyrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Baileys4

Supercell wrote: »
    This.
    It seems that every new development now come with a postage stamp sized back garden and no front garden with driveway. Yet often there is a big featureless green area in the middle with no trees or any redeeming features. Lucan seems to be full of estates like this. I just don't understand why they are getting away with this. Is having a garden now seen as only for old people in their old houses?

Go across to Europe or the states and where there are house there are decent sized gardens, I really don't get it at all.
    Our house is a small house but we can park two cars in the driveway and another two out front if we had to when entertaining for example. If you were to buy a new 5 bed house in Glenageary - http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/brickfield-at-honeypark-glenageary-road-upper/2743000 you would be doing well to fit two cars out front only, forget about guests. Heres another example of something similar in Stepaside in D18 - http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/belmont-4-bed-homes-stepaside-dublin-18/2698664 . At least the Glenageary one has some decent landscaping nearby, but I'd prefer to landscape my own decent sized gardens, with private gated parking.

Seems to me that most younger Irish (and British) people want to live in glorified apartments with a sightly bigger balcony out back they can call a "garden".

Hi Supercell,

I don't know if you're familiar with the estate but regarding the 3 bed semi, these have two dedicated spots to the side of the house. All of the other house types also have two dedicated spots per house with the exception of the 3/4bed semi w carport. In terms of gardens, again the 3 bed semis in phase 1 all have really good sized gardens.

While I agree that there can be developments built with little forward planning, Belmont will have approx 3 hectares of parkland, dedicated parking spaces and good value for money homes. If people are buying houses knowing that the house doesn't suit their needs, well that's pretty stupid. That said, I wouldn't buy a house based on guest parking alone once it ticked all the other boxes. Yes it's nice to have additional parking and I hope there will be some but I hardly think it's a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not having my own front garden would be a deal breaker for me, personal taste. As to the back "gardens", big enough for a Gerbil maybe. No thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Garden size is definitely a negative point of the whole development but it's true there are some larger ones than I think any of the show houses had. We wanted a place with a bigger garden ideally and were looking around for six months before viewing at Belmont. As a rule of thumb it seemed (after hauling ourselves to viewing after viewing every weekend) if you want a place around south dublin with an interior of an equivalent size and not in a state of neglect plus an ok garden you would need to pay an extra 150-200 thousand.

Wallander wrote: »
    Garden size is definitely a negative point of the whole development but it's true there are some larger ones than I think any of the show houses had. We wanted a place with a bigger garden ideally and were looking around for six months before viewing at Belmont. As a rule of thumb it seemed (after hauling ourselves to viewing after viewing every weekend) if you want a place around south dublin with an interior of an equivalent size and not in a state of neglect plus an ok garden you would need to pay an extra 150-200 thousand.

So 600k for a place with a garden?

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-rossmore-avenue-templeogue-dublin-6w/2626263

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-cypress-garth-templeogue-dublin-6w/2658777

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/528-orwell-park-crescent-templeogue-dublin-6w/2517547

This is a two minute search....you're being misled.

• Advertisement

Thanks Chopper, I'll agree to disagree with you on that one. If you look at your last link, you have 3 bed places of exactly the same interior size going for 350k in Belmont (320k in the autumn if memory serves) which is a good 150k cheaper. There could be some bargains out there obviously but anyone interested should make their own assessment of the market, we certainly did ours and found Belmont pretty attractive on price.

Thanks Chopper, I'll agree to disagree with you on that one. If you look at your last link, you have 3 bed places of exactly the same interior size going for 350k in Belmont (320k in the autumn if memory serves) which is a good 150k cheaper. There could be some bargains out there obviously but anyone interested should make their own assessment of the market, we certainly did ours and found Belmont pretty attractive on price.

Yes and the places i linked to are in existing resedential areas with good transport links and much nearer to the city centre and M50 than stepaside is.

This whole development reminds me of Tyrelstown which has since become an almost barren ghetto.

350k for a 3 bedroom new build with no garden in county dublin is not good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

chopper6 wrote: »

This whole development reminds me of Tyrelstown which has since become an almost barren ghetto.

barren in what sense?

Tyrrelstown has developed quite a bit in recent years with the new public park and national schools.

Mind you, in 2014 why anyone would want to pay over €350k to live in a semiD on the outskirts of dublin with tiny gardens and car parking on top of neighbours is beyond me.

Actually the ones for 350k are among those with decent enough gardens, but I see you didn't bother to check that before posting. We are more than happy with the transport links with the Luas ten minutes away. I can't speak for Tyrelstown because I haven't been there but Stepaside and Sandyford is already a nice existing residential area albeit with a significant amount of new development. You might find the prices crazy but after six months of viewing I can tell you on that basis everywhere else is even crazier. Ultimately everyone will make their own minds up but the huge demand at the viewings suggests to me there are a lot of people who find Belmont appealing. If there were plenty of places with huge gardens for the same prices I severely doubt there would have been as much interest.

Chopper - just curious, have you actually been out to Stepaside and seen the development?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Baileys4 wrote: »
    good value for money homes.

Each to their own but i certainly would not consider Belmont prices to be good value, and i know the area extremely well.

Buying there for these prices is absolute madness IMO.

A quick search on MyHome for comparable properties in the area – max 350 k , min 3 beds – is coming up with 2 apartments, 1 duplex and the grand total of 1 house in Leopardstown Abbey which is priced at 319 k and I very much doubt will sell for anything near that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Everyone seems to be very defensive about the prices paid for Belmont. Comparing what you can or cannot get in the area for same, similar or significantly more money.

In terms of the 350K price there were only a few units in Belmont at the price in the last release, most were 360K - 375K mark. There is also no point comparing Phase 1/2 prices of Belmont to current second hand prices as both have moved on, in the summer Belmont was prices about 20K less than a similar second hand house and in phase 3 there were set at about the same from what I can see of available properties.

However to say you would need another 150K to 200K to buy similar properties to Belmont in the area is ludicrous. There is nowhere near that gap, I would expect 500K-550K to get a detached 4 bed house in the area let along a ~1200 sqft semi detached.

People who bought in Belmont obviously though there was value in them or that the houses suited their needs and people who didn't buy either felt the price was too high or the houses weren't right for them, either way arguing with each other is just going to spiral this thread out of control as people continually vie for the last word.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Chopper - just curious, have you actually been out to Stepaside and seen the development?

Yep...i have a friend who lives nearby and was telling me about people queing overnight etc...the place is thrown together with the dwellings on top of each other...i really dont see teh appeal in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

You might find the prices crazy but after six months of viewing I can tell you on that basis everywhere else is even crazier. ................. the huge demand at the viewings suggests to me there are a lot of people who find Belmont appealing.

I remember hearing arguments almost identical to that back in 2005/6 :(

Advertisement