Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Belmont, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

whippet wrote: »
    I remember hearing arguments almost identical to that back in 2005/6 :(

Yes...when people were feversihly buying up shoeboxes rather than actually having a look around to see what represented good value.

Minor things like space,gardens for a family and car parking went by the wayside in the mania.

And the fact that estate agents are acting in thier usual cagey manner and adding 45k to asking prices within months AND people are willing to believe it...well,it just shows we've elarned nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

chopper6 wrote: »
    ...the place is thrown together with the dwellings on top of each other...i really dont see teh appeal in any way.

Chopper, youmay not see the appeal, but other people clearly do.

SecondNinjaTruncs in saying that there is no value in arguing for the sake of it or vyingfor the last word, however, I would be interested to know why you are so utterlyconvinced these houses are of poor quality and were ‘thrown together’ - can yousubstantiate this?

Jolisa94 wrote: »
    Chopper, youmay not see the appeal, but other people clearly do.

"There are none so blind as those that will not see"

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jared20130204

Hi All,

We' re all set to go now that the title deed issue is finally resolved. Can anyone recommend a good alarm installer. I know someone asked before but I can't find the page....Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nakom

Hi All,

We' re all set to go now that the title deed issue is finally resolved. Can anyone recommend a good alarm installer. I know someone asked before but I can't find the page....Thanks....

there you go:
    Can't recommend www.securigard.ie highly enough.

I saw also one of the already inhabited house has phone watch installed

• Advertisement

Are these Timber Frame dwellings?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

chopper6 wrote: »
    Are these Timber Frame dwellings?

I would have thought the 'expert' on build quality would have known this one :-)

Hi All,

Just to follow up on this, I did a bit of research myself and found out that Siemens (in particular SPC4000 series) and HKC alarms are among the best solutions available.

Here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748 you can find a list of installer/suppliers.

I think I'll have a go with the Siemens. Need to look for few quotes now.

Jolisa94 wrote: »
    I would have thought the 'expert' on build quality would have known this one :-)

I would have thought people about to sign over 400k for one would know this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shedzafew

They are block built houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 GirseachGranola

Hi there, myself and my husband are seriously considering Belmont. Our reasons being; our current home is a two bed terraced house in Terenure, we have a circa 30ft garden so unless we use it up there isn't much room to extend. We bought this house around two years ago at a rock bottom price and houses in our area similar to ours are selling for around the asking price of the houses in Belmont. We could sell our old money pit of a house (neither of us are DIY savvy nor have the extra funds we need to upgrade the house) we would have the same/ similar sized mortgage but have more space (have a 3yr old and other on the way) and a house that doesn't need the windows replaced, new carpets, re plastered, rewired etcetc. The luas line is a huge asset to us having rented in milltown before we bought our current home. And although it was a 10-15 min walk to the luas as a stay at home mam with a child in a buggy I used the luas almost everyday. The Gaelscoil in Bellermine would also be another huge attraction to us as our daughter is already attending a Naíonra and her name was put down in most irish schools in south Dublin when she was born as we didn't have our own place at the time so wanted to cover ourselves being very interested in the language. So, basically, we have our names on the cancelation lost and for the next phase. I got a fright when I saw the posts here regarding land rights etc and that they were badly built etc i would be really grateful to hear from people who have moved in to hear how you find the area, especially those of you with young children. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NewRunnerRoy

I have moved into Belmont in the last few weeks and I am very happy. I think the majority of Phase one homes are now occupied. I personally love the area, there is a very nice family feel to it and all neighbours I have met to date are all sound.

Since moving in the onsite builders and completion foreman have been very good to deal with and any issues have been sorted very quickly. The area dealt with extreme weather conditions in the past few weeks well with the only sign of excess water being at the bottom of the hill going into Aiken's Village.

The walk to the Luas is 10-12 minutes through Sandyford Hall. The walk is well lit and is specifically for people going to and from Aiken's Village/Belarmine to the LUAS.

The land registration along with the AIB charge issues are now resolved. Dealing with the vendor's solicitors was a long and drawn out experience but we got there in the end. I would imagine that all further sales should be a lot easier for people to deal with seeing as the 2 main issues are now sorted.

I stopped reading and posting in this thread some time ago as it got silly. Some of the completely unfounded accusations being thrown around in relation about poor quality build and pyrite issues were laughable and quite simply not true. The build quality is excellent, confirmed by the engineer and professional snagger I hired to offer completely impartial advice prior to signing. I’m sure I will hear other opinions in relation to this (possibly even from people who have never even seen the houses) but I know who I'm going to listen to.

There was also a bit of discussion about Sky Conway having exclusive rights to the development as broadband and TV provider. I can confirm that this is not the case, other providers can be used.

All the best to anyone who is thinking about/in the process of buying. If you want to send me a DM with any queries I will answer whenever I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 camo

There was also a bit of discussion about Sky Conway having exclusive rights to the development as broadband and TV provider. I can confirm that this is not the case, other providers can be used.

Glad to hear you're settling in well. UPC have been prevented from bringing cables into the estate so far as they were told they can't share the ducting with Sky Conway. What broadband provider have you got in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I got my contract today for one of the Laragh 3 bed houses and noticed that they sent the wrong floor plans as some of you previously experienced. I also noticed in the BER report that it says there are no solar panels. Is this the case for the houses from phase 1 and 2? I thought that all the houses had solar panels. It even says so on their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LaochraGael

@Dearg81 I would quiz them on the Solar panels, that doesn't sound right.

I am interest in buying here also.
    Does anyone know if you can add a conservatory in the garden? I recall reading that this may not be possible.
    I am a little worried that potential owners can add very little value to these houses. Thank you.

@Dearg81 I would quiz them on the Solar panels, that doesn't sound right.

I am interest in buying here also.
    Does anyone know if you can add a conservatory in the garden? I recall reading that this may not be possible.
    I am a little worried that potential owners can add very little value to these houses. Thank you.

where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LaochraGael

The very second post on page 1.

"I've heard (but haven't checked) that you don't own the gardens or parking spaces, but have an exclusive liscence to use them, so they're closer to being an apartment style lease than a freehold. Don't buy expecting to be able to build a garage or an extension at some point in the future."

Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Anyone know to what extent are the houses finished? Do they come painted/carpted/tiled etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Baileys4

The very second post on page 1.

"I've heard (but haven't checked) that you don't own the gardens or parking spaces, but have an exclusive liscence to use them, so they're closer to being an apartment style lease than a freehold. Don't buy expecting to be able to build a garage or an extension at some point in the future."

Is this true?

Hi LaochraGael,

I can only speak from my experience and this is absolutely untrue. The parking spaces and gardens are included in the title deeds however as with everything I'd always double check the title with your solicitor before signing anything as the vendors solicitor doesn't seem to have the best attention to detail when it comes to the contracts

ch2008 wrote: »
    Anyone know to what extent are the houses finished? Do they come painted/carpted/tiled etc?

Hi CH008,

Most of the houses in phase one had hallway, bathroom, kitchen & utility room floor tiles. The bathrooms were tiled too & kitchen backsplash. There were no carpets. The houses were painted cream/magnolia throughout

• Advertisement

Baileys4 wrote: »
    Hi CH008,

Most of the houses in phase one had hallway, bathroom, kitchen & utility room floor tiles. The bathrooms were tiled too & kitchen backsplash. There were no carpets. The houses were painted cream/magnolia throughout

Were the wooden floors included too? Thanks for the response!

ch2008 wrote: »
    Were the wooden floors included too? Thanks for the response!

No problem, the wood floors were not included

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Is it possible to get UPC there? Just paid the deposit for Powerscourt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vegas915

Hi all,

I've just received my contract for a home in Belmont. 2 things my solicitor advised me to look into are:

1. Social Housing - They mentioned that there could be social housing in the estate, and advised me to check how much and where this would be located.
    2. Planning - They also advised me to go to the local planning office to check the long term plans for the area.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has looked into this already and what kind of information they found out?

Some friends of mine living in the area seemed to believe that there would be very little or no social housing in the estate because there was an oversupply in Aikens Village, and Belmont was part of the same overall development. Not sure whether this is true or not.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Your solicitor could be speaking of the large green area on the Enniskerry Road, the majority of which is allocated for social housing with a part also set aside for a settle halting site, read back through this thread and you should find all the details you need.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Anyone on here buy a Derrybawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I've put down a deposit for a Derrybawn.... Seems ok after my solicitor confirmed that the many issues mentioned earlier in this thread were sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Your solicitor could be speaking of the large green area on the Enniskerry Road, the majority of which is allocated for social housing with a part also set aside for a settle halting site, read back through this thread and you should find all the details you need.

The halting site was rejected years ago. yes, there's always a possibility it may come back, but seriousy I can never see it happening. It's always going to have strong objections. The latest plans were for joint share stepaside educate together and a gael scoil to be built there and that got rejected based on one persons objection. Parking concerns and the affect on wildlife in the green area. There's also a possibility the school may come back on the plans. School\halting site, which would you prefer?

As it stands there are no planning applications for this site. The knackers put a couple of horses in there recently, even they got rejected due to local out cry (personally I thought they were fantastic). this site is destined to be unused due to its location. The only way anything will ever be built here is if no one objects. A public park for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jared20130204

Hi all,

Just on a positive note, We are all signed and nearly ready to move in, as a few more are I'm sure. The other side of signing has been a very positive experience. The builders are very helpful in getting things done and extremely obliging even after completion.
    I would also highly recommend professionalflooring.ie, for anyone in the process of searching for carpets. Very professional and competitively priced.

It was all worth the hassle. That said , we haven't actually moved in yet but the builders are far more reasonable and down to earth than those solicitors.

Good luck to everyone still trying to get completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Bex12

Can I ask if anyone is aware of the estimated completion date for the houses in the third phase? SF initially said June/July at the viewings.

We received our contract last week and hope to sign it over the next few days should everything be in order, but there are a number of queries such as the closing date. It states that the contractor can take up to 48 months to complete the build which seems very odd. It also states that the solar panels are not included when it lists this as a feature in the brochure.

Can someone advise if this was also the case on their side? These queries of course have been sent to by our solicitor to the vendors solicitor but I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same queries and what was the outcome?

We're finding the vendors solicitor a small bit impatient and quite pushy with having the contract signed, without answering our initial queries.

Advertisement