Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Belmont, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr Alderman

anybody know anything regarding dates for closing of the houses on Alderman road, is there a delay ??

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Hi everyone,
    We are trying to buy a house in Belmont - Fernhill and just dealing with the snag list at the moment. Everything is going well except one, the most important thing. Our lawyer is not getting all her questions answered and the main problem is that it's a bit shady, who actually owns the land. Can anyone, who already moved in contact me please or give me a contact of their lawyer because I'm very curious if other people just ignored those issues with land and risked it or found other solution. Thank you in advance. cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Martynet wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    We are trying to buy a house in Belmont - Fernhill and just dealing with the snag list at the moment. Everything is going well except one, the most important thing. Our lawyer is not getting all her questions answered and the main problem is that it's a bit shady, who actually owns the land.

They don't even know who has title to the land?

It's a joke...walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

chopper6 wrote: »
    They don't even know who has title to the land?

It's a joke...walk away.

That seems to have been the problem from the start looking through this thread. Some people's solicitors seem to have been given assurances, other people are hoping it'll all work out in the end, but the developer/EA seems to be having no problem getting people to hand over cash regardless!

It's like it's 2006 all over again. Property deals that don't quite add up, over-eager buyers just aching to get on that property ladder, and those responsible taking the money and running.

I just can't understand how, after everything that's happened in this country in the last 6 years - especially where property is concerned - that people are still sleep walking into these messes or crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. It's a recipe for (another!) disaster IMO.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    That seems to have been the problem from the start looking through this thread. Some people's solicitors seem to have been given assurances, other people are hoping it'll all work out in the end, but the developer/EA seems to be having no problem getting people to hand over cash regardless!

It's like it's 2006 all over again. Property deals that don't quite add up, over-eager buyers just aching to get on that property ladder, and those responsible taking the money and running.

I just can't understand how, after everything that's happened in this country in the last 6 years - especially where property is concerned - that people are still sleep walking into these messes or crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. It's a recipe for (another!) disaster IMO.

Nobody wants to listen...Everybody think "ah sure it'll be grand" and hand over the money with their eyes closed...and to pay for a management company on a housing development? Madness,utter madness.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86156007&postcount=2
    It's up to you to decide if you think 345K is a good price for the property. Personally, I like the area for my own specific reasons, but these factors would be unusual. I'm sure most people would regard it as beiing a long way out from town. The build quality looks good to me, but I'm no expert. I've heard (but haven't checked) that you don't own the gardens or parking spaces, but have an exclusive liscence to use them, so they're closer to being an apartment style lease than a freehold. Don't buy expecting to be able to build a garage or an extension at some point in the future. ]

This will end in tears nothing surer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yeah i don't understand it, like the past 10 years never happened.

And the people on this thread will be the ones coming back in years to come complaining and looking for a handout from the government :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Or maybe some people just don't post on boards. Just because you can't understand something which you clearly have no solid facts or documentation to base your comments on does not mean that people are walking into a disaster. It just means you do not know what you are talking about.

wrt40 wrote: »
    It just means you do not know what you are talking about.

And people handing over money for a property that they might not have title to is a good idea in your opinion?

And people handing over money for a property that they might not have title to is a good idea in your opinion?

It depends on the length of the lease. Most people don't care about a 999 year lease. But I don't know the details, do you?

Some people may even prefer it. It keeps control over aesthetics of the estate, stops people building monstrosity extensions.

It depends on the length of the lease. Most people don't care about a 999 year lease. But I don't know the details, do you?

Well the details seem to be that nobody knows who has title right now...that's hardly a good basis to draw down a mortage...not that the banks will care when the place turns out to be unsaleable...they'll say "Give us back our money".

• Advertisement

Well the details seem to be that nobody knows who has title right now...that's hardly a good basis to draw down a mortage...not that the banks will care when the place turns out to be unsaleable...they'll say "Give us back our money".

Correction: Nobody posting on boards.ie seems to know.

I'm no expert but I think you can get that information from the land registry:
    http://www.landregistryireland.com/

And when mortgage holder say "I haven't got it to give" or "but I was told it'd all be ok" then guess what comes next.

"Hi there Minister. Yeah so it seems like we need another dig out..."

For the BSG fans among us: "All of this has happened before, and will happen again"

I just really think people should not be rushing in when there's some serious questions that need answering.

Correction: Nobody posting on boards.ie seems to know.

I'm no expert but I think you can get that information from the land registry:
    http://www.landregistryireland.com/

Why is it that solicitors on behalf of the buyers can't seem to find the information out?

Why is it that solicitors on behalf of the buyers can't seem to find the information out?

Because they're not very good. Why don't you download the folio and lets all have a look? €18 to settle an argument, it's obviously something you're very curious about. Go on, post it up here and lets all have a goo.

Because they're not very good. Why don't you download the folio and lets all have a look? €18 to settle an argument, it's obviously something you're very curious about. Go on, post it up here and lets all have a goo.

Multiple independent solicitors "not very good" though? On the same issue?

Many years of tech support would tell me that if the same problem is affecting multiple users then the issue probably isn't on their side.

Multiple independent solicitors "not very good" though? On the same issue?

Many years of tech support would tell me that if the same problem is affecting multiple users then the issue probably isn't on their side.

I'd question what you are basing your facts on: comments on a public forum from god knows who.

I'm tempted to download the deeds myself....nah, don't care enough to spend €18 on it.

If what you are suggesting is true, that there is information missing or being withheld on the title deeds then I'm in total agreement with you that these people must be mad. I just seriously doubt that's the case. If it is then you've a promising future as an investigative journalist, but you'll need to get better evidence than comments on boards.ie or you could be in for some embarrassing radio and morning chat show interviews.

Is this...no..it's ok. Thought I was in the conspiracy forum for a second there.

I'd question what you are basing your facts on: comments on a public forum from god knows who.

Well the "god knows who" seems to be people who have either bought or are intending to buy..and the comments come as a result of conversations with solicitors that they've appointed on their behalf.

What exactly is your angle on all this?

What exactly is your angle on all this?
    Pretty straight forward. I don't believe there is a conspiracy going on. And that you're jumping to conclusions based on comments on a website. And that you can get a copy of the title deeds from the land registry.
    Well the "god knows who" seems to be people who have either bought or are intending to buy..and the comments come as a result of conversations with solicitors that they've appointed on their behalf.

And that you can get a copy of the title deeds from the land registry.

You can get copies of the title deeds from the land registry only if they've been submitted to the land registry showing appropriate boundaries and the folio number of the property.

If the solicitors can't establish ownership of the plot there can be no title deeds to register..do you see?
    One of the reasons the Belmaine development in Nth Dublin fell through is because the developer failed to lodge the deposit with the owners of the land(DCC) and as such they had no title to the land and no right to build there.
    Most people were lucky enough to get thier deposits back but developers doing a bunk with people's money is not unheard of and if the developer claims bankruptcy anytime afterwards then the deposits are as good as lost.
    Irish property development is a pyramid scheme and it's the first time buyers who end up getting burned,not developers and not investors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

The registration of title deeds was made for this estate in February if memory serves and satisfied a number of solicitors, including ours. Our solicitor was always satisfied with the title issue, we showed them this forum and they took a look through but their professional opinion was that the worries aired here were baseless. Reading the genuine concerns along with the hearsay here at the time made us extremely cautious but our solicitor was encouraging us to sign all along. It is well documented in past posts that ownership of the land passed through several hands in a relatively short period of time, I believe that complicated things but I doubt that is unusual for a new development, and even less so after a recession.

The land is owned by a consortium of investors.

A post, on the internet, by God knows who. So it's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Yeah i don't understand it, like the past 10 years never happened.

And the people on this thread will be the ones coming back in years to come complaining and looking for a handout from the government :mad:

So one poster has an unanswered question about title deeds and this turns into everyone asking for a handout! I think there's a few posters on here with some serious chips on their shoulders. It actually sounds like your hoping for the worst so you have something new to moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Does anyone know what is the reason for all the work on the road outside Belmont?
    I'm hoping they are widening the road as it can be trouble when so many cars park on the street.

Wallander wrote: »
    but our solicitor was encouraging us to sign all along.

Of course he was...he gets paid once you sign anything that happens after that is no longer his concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Of course he was...he gets paid once you sign anything that happens after that is no longer his concern.

Apart from the fact that you have recourse against a solicitor if the service/advice you received is not up to scratch

GavMan wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that you have recourse against a solicitor if the service/advice you received is not up to scratch

I've never heard of anybody suing a solicitor.

Caveat Emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

I've never heard of anybody suing a solicitor.

Caveat Emptor.

You're hardly the definitive oracle on such matters so simply because you've never heard of it, does not mean people do not have recourse if they have been let down by the legal profession

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Complaints-against-solicitors/Steps-to-take/

At the end of the day, 99.99% of Solicitors will not let you proceed with anything that is dodgy. There's too much risk that'll they'll get caught up in a mess that will drag on and be a distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 41 camo

Does anyone know what is the reason for all the work on the road outside Belmont?
    I'm hoping they are widening the road as it can be trouble when so many cars park on the street.

I believe they could be putting in new sewers to service the part of the Belmont estate which will be built on the other side of the reservoir. i.e. the side that hasn't been built yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 7yearsnerd

Hi owners of houses in Belmont,

I hope you are all settled in now. We certainly are enjoying the new house.

I am just wondering if there is any feedback on this Conway crowd regarding broadband service if anyone went with them? Also if not going with Conway, who did you all go with, Eircom? We recently just went with Conway just to see how they are. So far only 3rd day into it broadband stopped working. TV channels are basic but we don't mind that. It is much cheaper alright compared to UPC which we used to be with. But UPC have brilliant broadband and I really am not sure about conways broadband so after this month we might need to look for alternative.

Advertisement