Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Belmont, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Conway have been more than ok for us in terms of speed and price. We have been more bothered about sorting out our fittings, settlement issues etc. than the internet.

I would say most people would advise you to sign after the snag list is complete. The builders are good enough and will sort things out eventually, although a bit of nagging can go a long way.

There was a lot of discussion last year on this forum about service fees. I believe they'll mostly go towards roads and lighting as the council doesn't cover these for any new estates. After a couple of years the residents are due to take over the management company from the builders, I think, which should give a clear picture.

I don't know about that idea for parking spaces at the park - wouldn't that just encourage people to drive in from elsewhere to use the park? It does look very nice on the flyer, after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

5arch wrote: »

Regarding mgmt fees, am I right in thinking the initial €100 was only an introductory fee and will increase next year to €400+ ? I understand the money is put into a sinking fund so there is money to fix problems if they arise

I can't speak for Belmont but both Belermine and The Rectory both have fees for houses which are closer to 400 than 100. So expect a rise. The management agent alone will probably charge close to 100 per unit.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

5arch wrote: »

Can anyone that has been living there a few months tell me if they had issues getting their snag lists finished - the builder told us to sign and they would take care of our snag list but they have been pretty slow so far!

We were told recently that the new phase has been sub contracted to a new builder and that the original builder has now washed their hands of the snag lists. We've been left with a few issues as a result but I'm assessing my options on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bauble1

ch2008 wrote: »
    We were told recently that the new phase has been sub contracted to a new builder and that the original builder has now washed their hands of the snag lists. We've been left with a few issues as a result but I'm assessing my options on this.

I understand they are working on o/s snagging issues from Phase 1 first and then will move on to Phase 2. Whether they will fix the settlement issues is a grey area. Has anyone from Phase 1 had their o/s issues fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NewBuyer1

Hi,

I am looking for a general advice on Belmont development, we are thinking to buy in the next release.
    Having studied thoroughly the Planning Application yesterday I noticed a large number of apartment blocks being build at the front and the side of the estate : 15 apartment blocks, ranging in height from 3 to 5 storeys.
    I wonder what are other people thoughts on this fact? Wouldn't the area become very over developed with not much of the infrastructure?
    This place has an appealing village feel, will it remain once the apartments are build?
    Could it bring the property value down and "cheapen" the estate?
    Given the fact we will probably buy at the top of the market, I am cautious to not to make the mistake.
    Any advice or opinions, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

NewBuyer1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for a general advice on Belmont development, we are thinking to buy in the next release.
    Having studied thoroughly the Planning Application yesterday I noticed a large number of apartment blocks being build at the front and the side of the estate : 15 apartment blocks, ranging in height from 3 to 5 storeys.
    I wonder what are other people thoughts on this fact? Wouldn't the area become very over developed with not much of the infrastructure?
    This place has an appealing village feel, will it remain once the apartments are build?
    Could it bring the property value down and "cheapen" the estate?
    Given the fact we will probably buy at the top of the market, I am cautious to not to make the mistake.
    Any advice or opinions, please.

That's an interesting point of view and definitely to consider. Especially if buying in the section behind the apartment buildings. Would be good maybe to contact architects and ask them for the 3D panoramic visuals of the area for better idea. I'm sure they have something like that.

As far as I can tell, the area earmarked for apartments is downhill and behind a big grassy mound formed by a water tank, which I imagine should limit the visual impact a bit. If you don't like apartments in general it may not be the best area for you, as neighbouring Aiken's Village and Belarmine have loads of apartments, albeit they have an extremely nice feel. I don't think apartments would cheapen the estate as the reality is more and more Dublin families are buying apartments, and apartments are rarely cheap in South Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NewBuyer1

Thank you.
    Martynet wrote: »
    to contact architects and ask them for the 3D panoramic visuals of the area for better idea.
    I might give this idea a go.
    Wallander wrote: »
    If you don't like apartments in general it may not be the best area for you, as neighbouring Aiken's Village and Belarmine have loads of apartments, albeit they have an extremely nice feel. I don't think apartments would cheapen the estate as the reality is more and more Dublin families are buying apartments, and apartments are rarely cheap in South Dublin!

I wouldn't mind apartments in general, but would be weary about having my house surrounded by 15 blocks , for myriad of reasons - one would be traffic.
    Being real, I would say these are going to be a mixture of rented and owner occupied at the best - only the 1 and 2-beds are being build (sounds like standard rental property to me).
    I am trying to view this from many different angles and curious to know other people's opinions on this.

It says in the plans that there will be 206 houses and 149 apartments in total. If you look at the surrounding areas the apartments seem to appeal to families above any other demographic, as far as I can see, whether renting or buying, so I expect the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mlb10theshow

I'm interested in the next phase but, I happen to see the article below. Is this true ?

98fm.com/Stepaside-Crime-Target-Since-Garda-Station-Closure-

Pratically every shop on one side of the street in Stepaside has been burgled since the garda station was closed.

There's calls for gardai to prevent robberies in the area instead of responding after the fact.

The Justice Minister says there has been an increase in patrols.

• Advertisement

I'm interested in the next phase but, I happen to see the article below. Is this true ?

98fm.com/Stepaside-Crime-Target-Since-Garda-Station-Closure-

Pratically every shop on one side of the street in Stepaside has been burgled since the garda station was closed.

There's calls for gardai to prevent robberies in the area instead of responding after the fact.

The Justice Minister says there has been an increase in patrols.

That's very interesting. Actually I heard that few houses has been robbed in Belmont but don't know any details. If anyone involved could post more info about this it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 7yearsnerd

Martynet wrote: »
    That's very interesting. Actually I heard that few houses has been robbed in Belmont but don't know any details. If anyone involved could post more info about this it would be great.

I also heard that from one of the Gardaí in dundrum back in September. But he did chose the words "broken into" so not sure if it was robbery. And then the next day he drove in his Gardaí car with his mate patrolling back here. But at the time we hadn't moved in yet so didn't know which house was broken into. Alarm is a must! He also suggested that. I think the house got broken into didn't have the alarm installed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I'm interested in the next phase and have emailed sherry Fitzgerald to ask when it might be launching. No reply from them. Also when you click to register for news on it, it brings you to a broken link.
    Anyone know when next phase is due to launch? Is there much building work going on at the site at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Anyone about to move into a Derrybawn watch out in the snagging for the floors - the carpentry is poor and the floors are absolutely dreadful. On our snag list, three bedrooms, the upstairs living room and one landing need to be lifted and re-done. This is because they are very uneven; a problem which actually wasn't that evident at first but became evident later.

There are numerous other snags, but all of a trivial nature if only they'd get them done. Pay for a decent snagger; best money you'll ever spend.

As someone suggested, yes, they're finishing phase 1 first. However, if most houses in Phase 1 are like ours, it won't be finished overnight.

At the top of the development, two houses at least have had blocked drains leading to sewage oozing out of a manhole cover in each garden. While the builders were prompt in getting someone to fix this, blaming build-ups of material in the sewers, what was said to a neighbour of mine concerned me a bit, which was a comment by the drain contractor, "if it builds up again in 15 years or so, tell whoever comes to look at (such-and-such) a manhole first".

Does this imply that even the builders aren't 100% certain why these blockages occurred, and if so, does this mean they are not in a position to assure us that they won't happen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lillian123

I would second what cmore says above.

Also I would strongly recommend anyone moving into Cotter Close or Woodside or indeed the next phase that you do not hand over the final amount of money until you have ALL of your snags complete. The builders do not care once they have your money - we were promised they would do all of our snags, but are now saying they are not responsible for the remaining ones. This leaves us having to pay someone to fix things. Some of the building work is questionable and not to a high standard, people have had numerous leaks in our estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eddiemjm1234

What's the current deal with Broadband providers in the estate? Looking through the thread I see that people are suggesting to just get eircom efibre but can anyone in the estate confirm that they have efibre?

Also looking at the thread there are reports of UPC laying fibre but can anyone confirm that they have UPC fibre?

Trying my damnedest to avoid Sky Conway... Just looking for confirmation that somebody is using an alternative fibre provider to them.

I just spoke with UPC few minutes ago. There was UPC guys messing with the cables couple of months ago so I was expecting some good new very soon, but nothing happened. UPC told me that the broadband is still not activated in the area and that they will contact me once it is. Hopefully soon. Conway is probably the best broadband option until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

I registered with Sherry Fitz for news on the latest phase of the Belmont development. Got an email yesterday evening saying they can be viewed this Saturday with asking prices for the 3 and 4 beds 'from €405,000'.

I had looked at the PPR for the sale details of the last phase and it appears the 3 beds had been going for about €350k, with a couple even going slightly below this. This seems like a hefty increase and I don't think the market has moved on that much since last year (in fact I thought it was starting to sag if anything).

I'll go for a view but there is no way I'd be biting on this just yet if they are only starting from over €400k. Anyone know how many houses are in this phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

When you see BOI offering 2% cash back on new mortgages, you can see how desperate banks are to maintain mortgage growth. I know a solicitor who said boss is alarmed at drop in conveyancing applications.

If these were 350 I think from 405k is pushing their luck with the way the market is heading for a period of modest growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Would that 350k be ex vat though as they're new builds?

Vat would bring them into the 390's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sino29

3 beds were around 350 in the last phase depending on when people placed the holding deposit. The PPR should list them including vat (around 350) although I know a few that are listed incorrectly in the 390 range as solictors paid stamp duty incorrectly (including vat instead of excluding vat) and the PPR may not be updated correctly when a refund in stamp duty was received.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

See I thought they had been listed at 350k too but now I look at the PPR site it says....'If the property is a new property, the price shown is exclusive of VAT at 13.5%.' So therefore VAT would bring them up to around 400k mark alright.

So maybe it's only a small increment in asking price, although still outside my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sino29

Sorry yes you are right, the actual PPR lists exclusive of vat so those around 305K for 3 beds were actual around 350K. I know daft and a few other websites take info from the ppr and list including vat. The 4 and 5 beds were probably sold closer to 400K (so would be on the ppr for around 350)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Does anyone know what is being released, as far as i knew all the houses on the left of the main road were sold. Are these going to be located in the area of the site that is marked as "future development" or are these the last few houses that didn't sell/held back from the cluster of units on the left.

It would be interesting to see if they have altered the layouts anymore. The very first phase were very badly laid out the 3 beds in particular, the bathroom was ridiculous. The layout improved in the later phases (the 3 beds with the car port) which they claim was based on feedback from the first phase, but they still weren't great.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

They are selling off the remaining show houses from the first phase, the 3 bed on Loftus Lane and the detached house they were using as the sales office – rest are the new phase on the opposite side of the park.

To see the original launch prices look at post #168.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

The prices in the last phase were 350-390k for the 3 beds and 440-460k for the 4 beds. I have the full price list, if anyone wants to see it I can attach it later.

351102.jpg

351102.jpg

351103.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Just back from the open viewing. They only had 4 beds available to view, no 3 bed show houses which was a bit ridiculous. Seemed to be a large queue in the marketing suite of approx 20-25 people ready to hand over booking deposits. There was only 5 x 3 bed houses being built in this phase available to reserve at the minute for some reason. Mostly 4 beds which vary in price from 480-515k.
    I'd imagine all the 3 beds will be already gone by the end of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cliffordqs

Anyone on here looking to purchase as part of the new release.

Is there room to manoeuvre re the price or is it take it or leave scenario?

I see people mentioned issues re broadband etc but I assume you can put up a sky dish for the tv end of things?

Any feedback would be great!

Advertisement