Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching masters ??

Options
  • 23-08-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello everybody, just need some advice. I recently graduated primary teaching. I have applied for 400 jobs since December. 50 replies, no interview. I have been accepted to a masters in college. For teachers here, does it help with regard securing a job ? I am considering just doing subbing for the coming year and trying to get into schools but I want to know if the masters is worth doing when just graduated ??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Experience would count for more than a Masters, in terms of getting a job.

I wish all those hurtling into primary teaching (and teaching in general) year after year would read your post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hello everybody, just need some advice. I recently graduated primary teaching. I have applied for 400 jobs since December. 50 replies, no interview. I have been accepted to a masters in college. For teachers here, does it help with regard securing a job ? I am considering just doing subbing for the coming year and trying to get into schools but I want to know if the masters is worth doing when just graduated ??
    In most schools experience is probably more important. I know however that in my school extra qualifications have been used as criteria for interview/shortlisting marks. Almost all of the most recently appointed teachers have a masters or higher qualifications. So a masters shouldn't really do you any harm, but don't think that it will buy you a job in all schools.

Some might also say that it would be good to have experience before completing the masters, as that would feed into your research interests/academic work. I know people who have gone straight into masters after a B.Ed degree, and they've done fine.
    spurious wrote: »
    Experience would count for more than a Masters, in terms of getting a job.

I wish all those hurtling into primary teaching (and teaching in general) year after year would read your post.
    Some people are beginning to listen, though perhaps not enough. There was a 7% drop off in interest for teaching courses this year, and points have dropped for nearly all primary teaching courses.

Advertisement