Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castledaly NS or St. Brigit's NS in Mowte...??

Options
  • 23-08-2013 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Last minute move to Castledaly from Weford, daughter going into 5th class.
    Trying to decide between these two schools, will also be working in Athlone part time. ..
    Castledaly is more local & closer but like the look of St. Brigit's too which had the added advantage of being a bit bigger & more culturally diverse.
    In Castledaly my daughter will be the only be the only new child (apart from infants obv. ) & the only non-Catholic in the school.
    Does anyone have any knowledge or advice plse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aibrean

I am a past student of St Brigids in Moate. I loved the school, could not fault a single thing about the school. The teachers are amazing, they were always very kind and helpful. Nothing was ever a problem for them. They have very good extra curriculum activites too. Im currently in college and Im still in touch with the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

being a non-Catholic is never an issue in schools.
    religion is not a big deal in most schools nowadays

go in and talk to the principals

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    being a non-Catholic is never an issue in schools.
    religion is not a big deal in most schools nowadays

go in and talk to the principals

I have spoken to both principals (Moate in person & been shown around the school, Castledaly on the fone only as not available to meet or visit the school until next Friday which is too late as Moate is back on Thurs..) and am just trying to decide which to go for at this stage which is why I'm looking for some advice :)

Also I do think being the ONLY non-Catholic in a school of 98 pupils might be difficult for a child especially during Religion class, daily prayers, trips to Church & Confirmation prep. etc...

iPink wrote: »
    I have spoken to both principals (Moate in person & been shown around the school, Castledaly on the fone only as not available to meet or visit the school until next Friday which is too late as Moate is back on Thurs..) and am just trying to decide which to go for at this stage which is why I'm looking for some advice :)

Also I do think being the ONLY non-Catholic in a school of 98 pupils might be difficult for a child especially during Religion class, daily prayers, trips to Church & Confirmation prep. etc...

how do you know your child would be the only non catholic?
    during religion class they will be given a book to read or other work to do - you discuss it with the teacher, prayers don't have to be said (a lot of schools don't say daily prayers), trips to Church - your child could be sent into a younger class. there are ways around most situations.
    most confirmation prep is done outside school, as far as I know

your child wouldn't necessarily HAVE to start on Thursday or Friday next week.
    the following Monday would be early enough, once you've assessed your options then you'd have weekend to get a basic uniform and few books
    the schools will understand

don't stress out too much about it
    schools won't refuse a child

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

I know because I spoke to the Principal & asked...!! :) I was told very clearly that there are no other non-Catholic children in the school & it is a Catholic shool with a Catholic ethos & no provisions are made for children of other faiths though they have no problem with them. .. obviously!!

• Advertisement

iPink wrote: »
    I know because I spoke to the Principal & asked...!! :) I was told very clearly that there are no other non-Catholic children in the school & it is a Catholic shool with a Catholic ethos & no provisions are made for children of other faiths though they have no problem with them. .. obviously!!

'no provisions' what does that mean?
    your child will have the right not to say prayers, take part in religion lessons etc

As I said, go in on Friday to both schools (you could bring your child)
    see the facilities - indoor and outdoor, see the classroom (size, number of children in room)
    thats the best way to get a feel for the school
    start on the following monday.

Advertisement