Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBS Logs

Options
  • 23-08-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

i ran:

sfc /scannow

it informed me afterwards that it could not repair all the corrupt files that it found.

So i went to view the CBS Logs, but "access was denied". Then i went to direct the files to a text file:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Command Prompt seems to do something as a few seconds passes before I'm back at the command prompt cursor. But no text file.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i ran:

sfc /scannow

it informed me afterwards that it could not repair all the corrupt files that it found.

So i went to view the CBS Logs, but "access was denied". Then i went to direct the files to a text file:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Command Prompt seems to do something as a few seconds passes before I'm back at the command prompt cursor. But no text file.

Any thoughts?

run cmd prompt as administrator... it should work then

to do this

goto start > accessories > cmd (right click on it and choose "run as administrator")
    then in the cmd prompt type sfc /scannow

it will have permissions to fix the corrupt files

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

run cmd prompt as administrator... it should work then

did that already, SFC and findstr won't run without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

johndoe99 wrote: »
    did that already, SFC and findstr won't run without it.

ok you could try booting from a windows disk then choose repair console

then try it from there.

if it wont work from within windows its likely the drive didnt unmount

booting from the windows disk and using the repair console should allow you to do it as the drive wont be mounted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

update:

i managed to open the CBS logs, it was as simple as copying the logs to "My Documents", and they opened from there.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

update 2:

after looking through the logs, the only file that could not be repaired was "recdisc.exe", this was the rescue disc that was part of SP1 and was later disabled in SP2 (Vista), so its down to the fact its disabled, so not needed.

I've rebooted 5 times since, and no BSOD's recorded.

Advertisement