Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shoes for adventure racing

Options
  • 23-08-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Hi all!
    need advice on shoes for ROugh Diamond in 5 weeks,typically would road and trail running but do i need salomon/innov8 shoes for hill running?
    whats the general consensus?
    plan to do sea2summit also
    thanks
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

John, you don't NEED them but you are better off with a trail shoe for offroad running.

Most people make do with an old pair of road shoes for their first few races though if you are going to give a few of them a bash and possibly do more trail running in training you are better of investing in a pair specifically for offroad running.

Why?

Most trail shoes are lower and closer to the ground which gives you a more stable footing. You are less likely to roll an ankle in a low profile shoe.
    The rubber compound is specifically developed for better grip on lose surfaces and over rock. The rubber is softer and tackier than on a road shoe.
    The mesh upper is still breathable but is usually more water repellent and is tougher to resist the stubbing against rocks or tearing of brambles etc.

Hope that helps & good luck with the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

John, you don't NEED them but you are better off with a trail shoe for offroad running.

Most people make do with an old pair of road shoes for their first few races though if you are going to give a few of them a bash and possibly do more trail running in training you are better of investing in a pair specifically for offroad running.

Why?

Most trail shoes are lower and closer to the ground which gives you a more stable footing. You are less likely to roll an ankle in a low profile shoe.
    The rubber compound is specifically developed for better grip on lose surfaces and over rock. The rubber is softer and tackier than on a road shoe.
    The mesh upper is still breathable but is usually more water repellent and is tougher to resist the stubbing against rocks or tearing of brambles etc.

Hope that helps & good luck with the races.

I was thinking of heading over to oranmore this afternoon.(strange or what!)

what youi got on offer and what time you open?

seanin4711 wrote: »
    I was thinking of heading over to oranmore this afternoon.(strange or what!)

what youi got on offer and what time you open?

HA HA!! Love it :D

Matt is there 10-6 today. Quite a few options but he'd be best to go through them and explain the differences. Got some iNOV8 on a deal there, just slim pickings on sizes & theres ASICS Fell Racers and what I'd class as more traditional cross over shoes like Trabuco & Mizuno Ascend suitable for a bit of road and then trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What inov8s/sizes do you have on deal?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What inov8s/sizes do you have on deal?

Its quite a mixed bag of RoadX, Roclite 295 / 315 & 319 some F-Lites. What size are you and I'll check for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm a 7, the 295s is what I'd be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

29.99 on elverys website
    http://www.elverys.ie/Product/McKinley-Chromosome-Mens-Trail-Running-Shoe-Blue/220128/0000000610
    couldnt warrant spending a tonne on shoes that i may use twice a year!

Advertisement