Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting Promoters To Put On Gigs

Options
  • 23-08-2013 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any luck with this scenario in the past? One of your favourite bands is touring soon. You hope they come to Ireland so you contact the promoter and hassle them to put on a gig here.

I've heard this is the best way to go about things as the artists themselves have little influence over where they end up playing. They go where there is demand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Btw, are you talking about the local promoter who will be hosting the show, or the booking agency working on behalf of the band?

Well, most bands have demands, which is mainly a fee. Some will demand a flat fee, some want a cut of the door, some will demand accommodation, some want transport from the airport, some want specific equipment provided, etc etc

Also, since coming to this island will be costly, some promoters will team up with promoters in other cities to share some of the above costs, e.g. Dublin and Belfast promoters.

Basically, a promoter will weigh the cost of bringing a band over against how much they expect to make. There are tons of variables. If they don't think they are guaranteed a clear profit, they will avoid like the plague. Likewise, some bands have money as a low priority and are willing to play wherever they may gain some fans, whereas others will only play where they are guaranteed to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Btw, are you talking about the local promoter who will be hosting the show, or the booking agency working on behalf of the band?

Which is the better option? I wouldn't know where to start to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You could contact the band's booking agency and try to get some sort of quote, but if you can't convince them that you're an established promoter, they would likely tell you to F off.

You could contact a local promoter that specializes in the type of music, e.g. H from DME mainly brings in death metal, while Umac (spelling?) are more doom/stoner oriented. These guys are pretty clued in to the touring scene so if they haven't booked your band already, chances are they don't see any point in bringing them here.

Btw, I am not a promoter myself, so don't take my word as gospel. I'm just going by what I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

You want Death Angel to come to Ireland? F**k ya!

Advertisement