Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD for whirlpool bath

Options
  • 23-08-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi all
    Am about to install a whirlpool bath
    Pump is rated at 960 Watt
    Do I install a dedicated RCD/breaker in the fuse board for it ?
    Was thinking off fitting a unswitched fused spur under the bath fed from the RCD and connecting the pump to this
    Thanks in advance
    Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sounds good to me.
    Personally I would install an RCBO (same thing really, just a little neater).

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Thanks 2011-whats a rcbo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks 2011-whats a rcbo

Basically it is an RCD and MCB combined in a single unit.

I would strongly reccomend that only a qualified electrician carry out work on a distribution board.

Remember it is easy to get thing to work electrically, the difficult part is to get them working safley and it takes training to be able to do that!

Thanks again
    When the fuse board was modernised with a new board a elcb was fitted on the socket circuits and later one for an electric shower was added
    The rcbo seems to require an earth connection as well which the elcb did not

• Advertisement

One last question
    Pump is 960W-what size fuse will I put in the spur outlet box
    Cheers

The rcbo seems to require an earth connection as well which the elcb did not

Incorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

2011 wrote: »
    Incorrect!

some do-but they mostly use 'em in the UK

some do-but they mostly use 'em in the UK

Hardly standard for a domestic installation and does not differentiate between an RCBO and an ELCB.

Thanks again all
    Have just got a RCBO
    No earth connection-30mA standard RCBO-16A
    Should do the job

• Advertisement
Advertisement