Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tulips

• 23-08-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Is it too early to plant tulip bulbshave a 25 foot path I want to plant them along each side of the path ... Can you intermix tulips with something else ... I mean as tulips due off something else will come to life
    Thks
    Paddy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Is it too early to plant tulip bulbshave a 25 foot path I want to plant them along each side of the path ... Can you intermix tulips with something else ... I mean as tulips due off something else will come to life
    Thks
    Paddy

You could also mix in/sow a load of anemone,these would make for some nice spring flowering low ground cover.:)

You could also pop in some Alliums and some Foxgloves along the path sides for some nice colour later on in June/July/August.

The bees and hoverflys will go mad or these,and you can also collect the seeds from the Alliums (after they have flowered) and grow them on aswell,in years to come.

If you can get it,then some white Campanula too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could also mix in/sow a load of anemone,these would make for some nice spring flowering low ground cover.:)

When to plant it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vanner

I don't plant until October. They are in net bags now having been lifted and cleaned and kept in cool dry place ( wardrobe). I always plant in pots and place in rows of five plus pots, they are easier to lift this way. Alliums would be nice and Thompson had an offer at weekend for 100 alliums for twenty pounds sterling. Alliums will follow after tulips, sometimes need staking.

When to plant it!!!

For the japanese anemoes........In bulb form-from late september/early octobber onwards...(I planted most of those late September last year and they all flew up)

In pot form,well when they are for sale in the gardening stores.

You will gets pots of them for around 1 euro 50 cents a pot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tulips go down october / november for me. Bit early yet for them in august... Even though it is feeling very autumnal out there! :)

Advertisement