Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new tank....

Options
  • 23-08-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all, I am upsizing my 2 year old 120 ltr community tank to a 240ltr.
    Current stock is 1 large angel, 1 red tailed back shark, 8 rummynosed tetras, 2 german blue rams and a small pleco.

Its very stable and the only casualties ive had are neon tetras which were eaten by my angelfish!
    PH is stable at between 7.5 and 8.

For the new tank I was thinking of adding a few discus.. and another two angel fish.

I see a fella in leitrim has discus for sale on donedeal and discus.ie. Can anyone recommend him or am I better off going to a shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Another question... I will be setting up the new tank in the same place as the old tank so I was going to buy a plastic tub in woodies and put about 40 ltrs of water and and filter into it along with the fish. Then I can take my time setting upthe new tank. Would the fish be better in this or individually in bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

What type of filters do you have, your filter on the 120ltr probably wont be enough on a 240ltr . When your transferring the fish I would keep all the water from original tank and the gravel as this will have bacteria in it.You should ideally have your tank running for a few months before considering discus and afaik the shark wont mix well with discus

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

scwazrh wrote: »
    What type of filters do you have, your filter on the 120ltr probably wont be enough on a 240ltr . When your transferring the fish I would keep all the water from original tank and the gravel as this will have bacteria in it.You should ideally have your tank running for a few months before considering discus and afaik the shark wont mix well with discus

Thanks scwarzh, I have an external JBL 900 which is supposed to do upto 300ltrs. Hopefully it will be able to cope.

I saved all the the tank water and the move didn't seem to stress the fish too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hi,

Discus require fairly warm water (towards 27/28celcius) which can be too warm for most other fish.

They also need pristine water conditions (50% water change, twice weekly). They do poorly in un-perfect water.

Advertisement