Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint big gifts from seperated parents or not?

Options
  • 23-08-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'd love some feedback on this..

My ex & I share joint custody of our 7 year old son.

I believe that gifts that are of significance to our son, i.e. bike, ipad, phone in due course, basically anything big or expensive should be from both. Just to show we can work as a team when necessary. Otherwise it can result in favouritism and child being spoilt.

Ex reckons it could confuse our son. That we must show him we are separated, which we do, but with gifts I just feel it's better for him in the long run, by showing him we can work as a team when necessary, and that his parents do get along...

Am I wrong?
    Is he wrong?

Advice welcome .......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

I don't think either of you are wrong. Both valid points. A factor in your decision will be about access. If both parents buy the big birthday and Christmas gifts how do you decide whose house these big gifts stay in and then what does your child do for a bike/flicker/go cart/etc while in the other house? I don't think it'll be as much of a problem during teenage years as naturally the big gifts will be an iPad/phone/etc.

Advertisement