Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for showers etc. on campsites

Options
  • 23-08-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

The is a thread running the website Campsite Review about the extra charges for showers, washing up hot water, etc. charged by many campsites

Considering that modern motorhomes (and caravans) have their own on-board water heating facility with showers and sinks I cannot understand paying up to €5 for an EHU (Electricity Hook Up) and then heading to the site facilities and paying again :confused::confused:

As a side issue, there is also the matter of hygiene. When using your own facilities you know who used them before you and you will avoid picking up the various nasties which may be lurking in public facilities :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's two different issues.

Paying for showers and hot water really irritates me. We pay over the odds facilities wise in this state compared to other countries, and then expect more on top for basics like hot water is ridiculous. In fairness, I haven't come across too many that charge in the campers kitchen (just one springs to mind). But even with paying for the showers, it's no guarantee of hot (rather than warm) water which is doubly irritating.

As for using on site facilities. Well we do have a shower in our van, but we rarely use it. It's grand for giving the kids a hose down after the beach but it isn't great for adults. Plus that leaves the toilet and a certain amount of the rest of the van damp. Our hot water system is gas only (are there immersion options?), so during the good weather we'd be using gas that we don't if we use on site showers. I've never worked out the money comparison, but there's also the time in getting the gas refilled etc. We do boil the kettle pretty often for the dishes, but that's mainly if there's queues for the campers kitchen.

Unless we need it for space heat, we rarely use the gas on site - I don't normally even hook it up. We pay enough for the site and hook up, so we have various electric appliances that we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I don't mind paying for showers if the showers are clean, the water pressure is acceptable and the water hot ... which, unfortunately, isn't the case everywhere ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

@macy , yes, there are 220v options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Macy0161 wrote: »
    In fairness, I haven't come across too many that charge in the campers kitchen (just one springs to mind).

I bet that is Salthill.

I too object to paying extra for showers, and paying extra for dish washing water is insanity (luckily not common). one thing that is a must if you have to pay for a shower is that there should be an abundance of hot water not the dribble that normally happens.

Sure you can shower and wash dishes in the MH but it isn't as comfortable as a full size shower and kitchen sink/draining board. I still use the gas to heat water for hand washing, shaving etc. It cant be using much gas as I can only recall changing gas bottles two or three times in the last few years.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    @macy , yes, there are 220v options.
    Must look into that, for the next van (which will probably be a lifer!)
    *Kol* wrote:
    I bet that is Salthill.
    I don't think so - I struggle to make out which one everyone gives out about as everyone has to be so careful, but I think we stayed in the other one! Rosses Point is in my mind, but I couldn't swear on it.
    *Kol* wrote:
    I still use the gas to heat water for hand washing, shaving etc. It cant be using much gas as I can only recall changing gas bottles two or three times in the last few years.
    I just boil the (electric) kettle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

I agree with ValerieR, if the water is hot and the pressure is good then I don't mind paying when I want a shower. If it is included in the price of the pitch I will be paying for it even if I don't use it. It all comes down to the average price per night of everything included instead of the basic unit rate. Every site has different rates for hookup, awning, pets, kids, showers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Washing machines and hookup are the only reasons we would pay for a campsite but only maybe every fourth night.

It's just handy to get everything sorted, then move on again.

The shower in the van is terrible but a good sailors shower and your squeaky clean again.

The joys of wild camping though, even when your battery dies and you run out of water, far exceed any campsite I've ever stayed at.

The fact that it's cheaper to rent a room in Dublin with a parking space and pay for utilities is the reason I've never used an Irish campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Speaking from a different angle, I don't Mind paying a couple of euro for use of shower and toilets..... IF they are clean and Well naintained. We have 2 loos at the garage for public and staff use, and I have to say, they get more ABUSE than use by a good portion of the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

stayed at St Margarets beach , Wexford,campsite yesterday, 22 euro per day, showers, electric etc included. we were coming from the ferry after 2 weeks in France and this price was very good compared to the sites we stayed in there. (which ranged from 23 to 33 euro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

after 2 weeks in France and this price was very good compared to the sites we stayed in there. (which ranged from 23 to 33 euro)
    Paying extra for showers gets up my goat i dont know how it can be justified,i was paying €12 a night in france, http://www.campiki.com/camping.aspx?id=1687 that enclued all the hot water i could use
    In fairness after doing a bit of research i have changed my tune a bit about what irish sites have to charge just to pay the rates,but i still seldom use them poor value imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Paying extra for showers gets up my goat i dont know how it can be justified,i was paying €12 a night in france, http://www.campiki.com/camping.aspx?id=1687 that enclued all the hot water i could use
    In fairness after doing a bit of research i have changed my tune a bit about what irish sites have to charge just to pay the rates,but i still seldom use them poor value imo

An interesting thought.

Perhaps County Councils should consider the tourism value of business in that sector and the benefits it can bring to a local economy. Such a consideration could well be reflected in a special rebate against its rates and other local authority charges.

But if that were to happen how many such business would reflect the savings in reduced tariffs.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    But if that were to happen how many such business would reflect the savings in reduced tariffs.
    I didn't see too many reduce their prices with the vat reduction.

I think the actual site fees and it's connection to business rates may be valid (I'd like to see research rather than anecdotal though really), but for me it is no justification for the cost of extras.

Here's another bug bear of mine actually - the fact that so few will let you pay with a card, and insist on cash.

Advertisement