Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Measure how long a cycling journey takes?

Options
  • 23-08-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, I am a newbie so excuse any foolishness, just looking for some help :)
    I am new to (serious) cycling and have an idea to cycle from Dublin to Mayo, i know I have to get fitter, but the question I have is how do I even start to figure out how long will it take me? I know it depends on how fast I cycle but just wondering is there an average?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

http://goo.gl/maps/Z3fCM

That should do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dennod

Thanks Fathead, I was looking at Google maps yesterday and could not see the Bicycling option...DOH...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

ah the auld how long long is this gonna take question:D:D
    are you doing it on a road bike (racing) or touring bike (smell the roses) mountain bike (ball breaker).
    you could probable ride to any part of ireland in a day but why would you want to do that,take a couple of days to get there and make a leisure cycle out of it.
    could you ride 50 miles in a day, i'm sure you could if you brake it up and take the whole day to do it.i'm a fairly experience cyclist and thats what i do no matter the distance ,(when i'm cycling i'm cycling )
    anyway good luck and enjoy.;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

How comfy is your saddle, and how long are you prepared to sit in it in a day? How good are your lights and are you prepared to cycle in the dark on unlit roads? A lot also depends on weather, route, and hours of daylight.

I'm slow enough on the bike, and allow about 10 hours elapsed for a 200k solo run, taking a leisurely pace and a couple of stops. If I'm going into a headwind most of the way this could be slightly longer, but generally I arrive with time to spare. Most regular long distance and club cyclists would be quite a bit quicker over the distance. Bikeroutetoaster.com shows Dublin-Castlebar as 240k, which is quite a haul for one day, but very handy over two days. Taking it on to Keel would make it 310k, which for me would defo be a two day though a handy day out for a regular audax rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

you could probable ride to any part of ireland in a day

Depends on where you start.

Let me know how this one works out for you. :pac:

http://goo.gl/maps/NwmE7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

22-24 kph, job done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

, i'm sure you could if you brake it up and take the whole day to do it.

i hope that was intentional or you were reading the other thread too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Lumen wrote: »
    Depends on where you start.

Let me know how this one works out for you. :pac:

http://goo.gl/maps/NwmE7

It has been done. https://www.facebook.com/coast2coast4cancer?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not solo, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dennod

Hi all, just a little update, thanks for the replies. I will be doing this for a fantastic charity and i have since found out that the trip I am going to take has been done. It will be from Dublin (Tallaght) to Mayo (Belmullet), it looks like I am going to aim for a two day trip, have to say I didn't realise how much organising a cycle across the country would take (did you know you cant cycle on the motorway ha ha ) I cannot wait to be honest, what better way to get to Mayo :) ill keep you all posted on how its going.........by the way, any takers on a trip cross country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I'd love to do a cross country trip, but it would be Dublin - Sligo for me, as we'll be visiting relatives there in the next couple of weeks. Based on my usual times for a century (imperial) I think I could do it in eight hours with a few short breaks.

Of course my family thinks I'm insane, so it may not happen :)

Advertisement