Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money in Canada/USA

Options
  • 23-08-2013 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭

Going to Canada and USA next week

I want advice on the best way to pay for items and services - credit card or debit card. 
    Give me an example on say a €200 purchase in Canada

And also the best way to access cash. 
    eg taking out $300 US from an ATM. 

what will the charges be? 
    I've read the leaflets on banking charges, I'm not the best at working out the fees payable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi nice_guy80,

Thanks for posting.

When using either card at an ATM or point of sale outside the Eurozone, the following cross border handling fees are applicable:

Visa Debit

ATM -  3.5% (with a minimum charge of €3.17 and maximum charge of €11.43)
    Point of Sale - 1.75% (with a minimum charge of 46c and maximum charge of €11.43)

Credit Card  

ATM and Point of Sale - 1.75% (with no minimum or maximum applied)

Please note - when withdrawing cash using a credit card, a cash withdrawal fee of €2.54 or 1.5% (whichever is greater) applies unless your credit card account is in credit when the transaction hits the account or has a zero balance after the transaction is completed. There may also be a limit for the amount you can withdraw from ATMs. If the ATM is chip and pin, the limit is €700. At non chipped ATMs it is up to €300. These limits are subject to the limit in that particular country.

Cross border handling fees are calculated against the Euro value and exchange rates change daily. 

If you require further clarification or advice, please contact a Customer Advisor in your account holding branch.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Thanks
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Hi nice_guy80,

Thanks for posting.

When using either card at an ATM or point of sale outside the Eurozone, the following cross border handling fees are applicable:

Visa Debit

ATM -  3.5% (with a minimum charge of €3.17 and maximum charge of €11.43)
    Point of Sale - 1.75% (with a minimum charge of 46c and maximum charge of €11.43)

Credit Card  

ATM and Point of Sale - 1.75% (with no minimum or maximum applied)

Please note - when withdrawing cash using a credit card, a cash withdrawal fee of €2.54 or 1.5% (whichever is greater) applies unless your credit card account is in credit when the transaction hits the account or has a zero balance after the transaction is completed. There may also be a limit for the amount you can withdraw from ATMs. If the ATM is chip and pin, the limit is €700. At non chipped ATMs it is up to €300. These limits are subject to the limit in that particular country.

Cross border handling fees are calculated against the Euro value and exchange rates change daily. 

If you require further clarification or advice, please contact a Customer Advisor in your account holding branch.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Thanks
    Tara
    Ok. 
    So if I put money onto the credit card (eg €2000) then I won't incur the cash 'withdrawal fee'? 

Just the cross border charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi nice_guy80,

Provided your credit card balance is in credit when any transactions fully post to the account, you would not be charged the cash advance fee.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement