Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS choice as a home server

Options
  • 23-08-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

as of late i have being looking at storage solutions, my hard drives are getting full and need a fix soon. I have looked at nas and tbh the rdy to buy nas seems rather restrictive and expensive (depending of course what you are looking at) then i was looking at freenas and i can build a decent case with old/new parts very cheap. But then i decided i think i'm better off getting a home server being able to directly play movies to the tv and now i need advice on what OS would be best for my needs.

TLDR:
    box to store picture videos music and be able to to play directly and using (insert os here). I will be using 4 hdd on RAID 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Something Linux + XBMC-ish.

Linux supports software raid 5 out of the box (it's very performant).

4 HDD's in RAID 5 is going to rape your electricity bill btw and also be noisy in your living room.

Another idea might be to have the NAS outside the living room and use a Raspberry Pi hooked up to the TV for actual streaming over the LAN / viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why would you need a server when all you want is storage?
    A few of these babies would sort out your problems, from what I can tell anyway.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/buffalo-3tb-drivestation-usb-2-0-desktop-hard-drive-7X7Z.html?src=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

Khannie wrote: »
    Something Linux + XBMC-ish.

Linux supports software raid 5 out of the box (it's very performant).

4 HDD's in RAID 5 is going to rape your electricity bill btw and also be noisy in your living room.

Another idea might be to have the NAS outside the living room and use a Raspberry Pi hooked up to the TV for actual streaming over the LAN / viewing.

the power and noise will be a concern but i just wanna exhaust all options so i can make an informed decision. at least if i post what i'm thinking people can correct me on things i haven't considered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, it's a good idea. For me if I were using that much storage and only streaming pictures and video to the TV I'd probably build an atom based box, throw linux on it, kernel RAID 5 the 4 HDD's and stick that up in the attic, then use a Raspberry Pi with XBMC to view on the TV.

Power over time really does become a cost consideration in the medium term.

kippy wrote: »
    Why would you need a server when all you want is storage?
    A few of these babies would sort out your problems, from what I can tell anyway.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/buffalo-3tb-drivestation-usb-2-0-desktop-hard-drive-7X7Z.html?src=3

yeah i have externals but want a more permanent redundant system single drives especially the bigger they are are are prone to fail and they will fail.

if i'm going for a nas i think its better value to build my self and then that thought escalated into a home server. so i'm just speaking out loud atm cause i would appreciated other thoughts and for example did not think of the Raspberry Pi. but still lots to dwell on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

I had this issue many years ago myself and i came to the soluation the the Qnap TS410 (currently available model is the Qnap TS-412 300 unpopulated)
    was perfect for me when you look at the specs it just gets better.

Power Consumption (W) Sleep mode: 11W
    In operation: 26W
    (with 4 x 500GB HDD installed)

it supports (Single Disk, JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 5, 5+Hot Spare, 6, 10) raid 5 is what i have set on my TS-410 with 4 2TB drives i have 5.5 usable its got SSH and remote VPN solutions built in and is a DLNA server (if you have apple i don't it has i tunes server and apple backup time vault or what ever its called)

its beside my TV in my living room and practelly scilent for the last 3 years, i beeped when a drive was near failing and i swapped the drive and all's good no data loss

theres even a phone app to pull data from it :-)

i spens about a year and a halp deciding what to get as i had a system with hard drive dangling from Sata cables hidden in a room eating up lots of power. now i just use this

if i can be of any help ask i know personally for myself it was the best option
    plus its small (177(H) x 180(W) x 235(D) mm)

I had this issue many years ago myself and i came to the soluation the the Qnap TS410 (currently available model is the Qnap TS-412 300 unpopulated)
    was perfect for me when you look at the specs it just gets better.

it supports (Single Disk, JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 5, 5+Hot Spare, 6, 10) raid 5 is what i have set on my TS-410 with 4 2TB drives i have 5.5 usable its got SSH and remote VPN solutions built in and is a DLNA server (if you have apple i don't it has i tunes server and apple backup time vault or what ever its called)

its beside my TV in my living room and practelly scilent for the last 3 years, i beeped when a drive was near failing and i swapped the drive and all's good no data loss

theres even a phone app to pull data from it :-)

i spens about a year and a halp deciding what to get as i had a system with hard drive dangling from Sata cables hidden in a room eating up lots of power. now i just use this

if i can be of any help ask i know personally for myself it was the best option
    plus its small (177(H) x 180(W) x 235(D) mm)

Yeah this is where the torment begins, i was posting the in the topic to "buy a nas" but as i kept looking it seemed nas was just restrictive and a home server would serve a better purpose inthe long term when just looking at stats and cost. for example 4 WD 2TBred + qnap looking at 700+ whereas could build a home server for less (still getting 4 WD 2TB drives) and leave more options in future. but home server would be more power hungry. so......

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

well if you need more expanability for the Qnap you can get a 8 bay expansion that connectas via the Esata cable

It sounds like you want a HTPC rather than a server.

Advertisement