Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of starting triathlon

Options
  • 23-08-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Hi. Thinking about getting into triathlon but on a very tight budget. I have an entry level road bike and MTB shoes and some basic cheapo lidl clothing. Happy with my cycling and now easing slowly into a bit of running.

I found a tri club nearby with swimming lessons and that's about e200 a year, which I can afford. Just wondering how expensive events are. It's hard to find out without signing up to triathlon Ireland.

So my question is how much do events cost? Because I can afford to join a club but I couldn't afford expensive events (50e plus) on a regular basis.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Hi. Thinking about getting into triathlon but on a very tight budget. I have an entry level road bike and MTB shoes and some basic cheapo lidl clothing. Happy with my cycling and now easing slowly into a bit of running.

I found a tri club nearby with swimming lessons and that's about e200 a year, which I can afford. Just wondering how expensive events are. It's hard to find out without signing up to triathlon Ireland.

So my question is how much do events cost? Because I can afford to join a club but I couldn't afford expensive events (50e plus) on a regular basis.
    Iirc most sprint events are in the 40 -50 mark, and oly distance 50+. There are a few cheaper events around, if you search. Your TI membership will cost about €60 (cant see it on the site), associate membership is much cheaper, but means you have to buy one day licences at €15 per race. You dont have to join TI, but you would then need a one day licence for each of their races you take part in.

There are unaffiliated races out there, but I dont know much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Oryx wrote: »
    Iirc most sprint events are in the 40 -50 mark, and oly distance 50+. There are a few cheaper events around, if you search. Your TI membership will cost about €60 (cant see it on the site), associate membership is much cheaper, but means you have to buy one day licences at €15 per race. You dont have to join TI, but you would then need a one day licence for each of their races you take part in.

There are unaffiliated races out there, but I dont know much about them.

Thanks. Can just about afford that- I hope!

Suppose first steep is to join club and take it from there.

Yup. Many clubs dont charge much if anything to join at this point of the year, so it could be a good time to get your foot in the door and try it out. :)

Most club memberships can be paid via the TI website when you join or renew with TI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Do query what you get for your subs. And with a critical eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Remember you'll have to budget for a wetsuit too, if you plan to do Open Water events. You'll pick up an entry-level swim-specific suit for a little over 100 euros online if you are VERY careful about sizing.
    Plus, you don't need to be a club member to race. There's lots of info, training plans and such online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Most clubs will require that you are a member of TI to train with them so it may be better to join TI first and then a club second.

Good luck with it, once you start you'll be addicted forever and ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

cjt156 wrote: »
    Remember you'll have to budget for a wetsuit too, if you plan to do Open Water events. You'll pick up an entry-level swim-specific suit for a little over 100 euros online if you are VERY careful about sizing.
    Plus, you don't need to be a club member to race. There's lots of info, training plans and such online.

Cheers. Was hoping to manage without a wetsuit for a while. One reason I think I should join club first is because I've never taken swimming too seriously so I could do with some lessons now 25 years or so since my last ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Whatever works for your own training. Race-day buzz is addictive, though. DCT Sunday and I can't sit still in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Given that TI now no longer allow you to go topless in transition you will probably also need a tri suit for under your wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

most expensive sport in the world !!

obviously it varies per person and you can do it on abudget, but still very very expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

griffin100 wrote: »
    Given that TI now no longer allow you to go topless in transition you will probably also need a tri suit for under your wetsuit.

Hate that I am saying this but........

there are alot of other non-TI races that are the same price, but don't require a TI license.

Plus there is a chance of the rules being enforced in a sensible manner in some of these races.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

griffin100 wrote: »

Never thought about that part.....I assumed it was out on the course that it was frowned upon. My younger brother is doing DCT this weekend and at any other race he has done (1-2 per year) he would always put a cycling top on in transition after the swim. I better make sure he has something on under the wetsuit on Sunday. Tools!

ray o wrote: »
    Never thought about that part.....I assumed it was out on the course that it was frowned upon. My younger brother is doing DCT this weekend and at any other race he has done (1-2 per year) he would always put a cycling top on in transition after the swim. I better make sure he has something on under the wetsuit on Sunday. Tools!
    Blame Joe Duffy for that one.

Oryx wrote: »
    Blame Joe Duffy for that one.

Nope its an ITU rule.

Have to agree with the majority though, its a soft target for rule enforcement and ridiculous in the context of how much of a game changer bike drafting is.

As I understand it, and it may be urban legend stuff, the zip to the back is not for the oft spoken reason of sponsors names on the chest (how many AGer's do you see with sponsors logos??) its to do with the exposure of men's chests (not to mentions women's dress codes) being frowned upon in Muslim countries.

Urban myth or not, it made more sense to me than the idea of sponsors logos.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

It's a very expensive hobby......but very addictive too! Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Joining a club would be the best value for money. Even if you pay 50 euro for the year, most clubs run weekly spins on the bike, time trials, running training for free. If your short on cash do a block of 10 lessons, write each session down and then you have plenty to work on. Again clubs meet up for open water swims which are obviously free.

The cost comes with race entry and getting to the races, 50 + 50 for petrol, so try hit races close to you. Once your in a club you'll meet lads and usually there is someone selling a wet suit. Its not the cheapest sport basically because its 3 sports but you'll get by.

Also your TI membership covers you for duathlon and aquathons and they are usually about 15 euro to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Tis very expensive but your'e starting at a good time of the year to pick up some bargains.

Try to get as much as you can now (incl wetsuit) as they are cheaper than they will be in the Spring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nope its an ITU rule.

Have to agree with the majority though, its a soft target for rule enforcement and ridiculous in the context of how much of a game changer bike drafting is.

As I understand it, and it may be urban legend stuff, the zip to the back is not for the oft spoken reason of sponsors names on the chest (how many AGer's do you see with sponsors logos??) its to do with the exposure of men's chests (not to mentions women's dress codes) being frowned upon in Muslim countries.

Urban myth or not, it made more sense to me than the idea of sponsors logos.
    Rubbish zips on the back go back to what wetsuits are traditionally used for which is surfing. Lying on a board with with a zip on the front is very very uncomfortable that's why it's at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Isn't this discussion on Zips re Trisuits rather than wetsuits?

ted1 wrote: »
    Rubbish zips on the back go back to what wetsuits are traditionally used for which is surfing. Lying on a board with with a zip on the front is very very uncomfortable that's why it's at the back

You'll find the reason why triathlon wetsuits have their zip to the rear is actually to do with hydrodynamics. You want nothing on the front of the suit creating drag so the surface is as slick as possible.

I take your point on surf suits & comfort though.

• Advertisement

My apologies to OP too, I took this thread off course taking about front zip / back zip.

I got into tri with a relatively inexpensive bike & wetsuit, (bought in a bundle) TI and tri club membership. I joined the club towards the end of the year and there was no charge for the rest of the year.

It was only after a year or so that I bought a second bike but by no means was this expensive (relative to others) and I still have both bikes in service today. Do invest wisely in your gear and it will look after you for years. If you are buying a cheap wetsuit, buy secondhand, anything sold as a starter suit for €100 - €150 is not going to last and you will out grow / perform it in a season. Spend the same money on a decent second hand suit and you will see bigger benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I got into Triathlon this year and it can be expensive yes but you do not need all the best gear at the start.

I have a wetsuit from surfing, its not the best as a surf wetsuit is tough to swim in compared to a triathlon wetsuit but it does for now, next season I will buy a tri wetsuit unless I get a good deal in the off season.

I spent the first 2 months training on a mountain bike from Lidl that was sitting in my shed for years. I spent 50 quid getting it up and running with new shifters and a service but was worth it. I have since upgraded to a trek 2.1 which luckiy enough I got on bike to work so I am paying it off in 12 installments having contributed some money at the start.

Runners again I already had and in time I will get a poper analysis and fitting but for now they do me.

Bike clothes I picked up in lidl and when I get good hear I can still use the lidl stuff for training.

I am doing 3 maybe 4 races this season, first was a charity race so no TI licence needed but was 50 euro to enter. Next is DCT tomorrow so 45 entry + 15 ODL. THrid will be Drogheda Club Tri which should be less than 10, final might be Naas at the end of spetember which again will be 60 altogether I think.

Swimming is 10-20 euro a week so I am considering membership for a gym with a pool to cut down the cost and I will join a club in October when my TI licence will cover me for next year and membership should be free. THat will cover next years race licences and also maybe reduce some trainnig costs as well as being very enjoyable to be part of a club and haivng the benefit of advice and guidance form club members. Will get a trisuit once I join a club too so I can wear club colours.

Small bits add up like tubes, and race laces and other consumables but they are not too much. As you can see there are lots of bits and piece but in time you can build them up. I just used flat pedals in my first race but have since picked up some SPDSL and shoes so now I will use them but I could have gotten by without if I didnt get a great deal.

The shop I bought the bike in are also servicing my bike for free for 2 years so thats another cost reduces and they are really helpful too. Really recommend them (dunno if I'm allowed mention them here by name or not, if I am I'll gladly say the name and recommend them)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

My first year in triathlons and yeah it has cost a few bob but worth every last cent of it. There are plenty worse ways to spend money.

Advertisement