Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat question please help.

Options
  • 23-08-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

I am registered for Vat but to be honest i am really struggling with the accounting side of things. i know i can pay someone to do this but i was thinking can i cancel being Vat registered with ROS. My turnover wont exceed the 30k.

the one thing i might have a problem with is when importing from outside the EU do i need a VAT number to take the goods in.

sorry if some of the questions seem basic.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

No you don't but obviously you wont be able to reclaim it and it will thus increase your unit landed cost! But neither will you have to add VAT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

yes thats what i was thinking. but short term it might be much easier for me. So im not getting mixed up with VAT returns etc when i wont really gain with claiming the VAT.

Also if im selling online and selling outside Ireland should i still be liable to pay VAT on exports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

If you are not VAT registered, you simply ignore VAT on all sales to anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

sorry should have said if i am VAT registered do i have to pay vat or taxes on sales outside Ireland as an export.

That seems like the only benefit for me that i would be registered for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

You charge vat on all sales within the EU, unless your customer provides a verifiable vat no. Sales to countries outside the EU aren't charged vat.
    It seems to me that your knowledge of the vat system is very poor, and its basically a very simple system.
    There are books out there on the subject, and even many online resources you can avail of free of charge. And don't forget the vat office. These are the best people to talk to and will happily guide you in the best direction for your business. They don't bite.

A quick search found this.
    http://www.taxworld.ie/taxes/vat/current/summary

• Advertisement
Advertisement