Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss is acting the maggot with holiday pay and taxes

Options
  • 23-08-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Before anyone says it, yes I realise I'm stupid for not knowing this.

I started my first job not long after I turned 18 have been there nearly 2 years. I've given my notice and am leaving in the second week of September. I worked 40 hours a week for the first 8 months or so, 11 months on around 30 hours a week and the last 5 months on 18 hours a week. I was under the impression that I wasn't entitled to holidays because I was only on part time, so I've had a total of 8 days off (not including weekends) in two years. I wasn't paid for any those days, nor was I ever paid for any public holidays. Using the 8% of hours worked method, I figure I'm entitled to about 250 hours worth of paid holidays from the last two years. I never signed an employment contract and I was never given a single pay slip, so all I have to go on is bank statements (I was paid in cheques and cash). This weekend I'll have to go through my bank statements from the last two years to figure out exactly how many hours I worked. For the 16 months when I was on part time, I was supposed to be on 12.5 hours per week and was called in for extra hours when needed. My P60 said I earned €10,000 last year, it's hard to keep track of because my hours varied so much but it was definitely more than that. I'm pretty sure he wasn't paying PRSI at all for a good chunk of it.

When I gave him my notice, he and the other woman we work with already had their holidays for the rest of the summer booked so he would have known there was no time for me to take mine. I know he has no intention of paying me off for them either.

I'll be having words with him when he gets back on Monday. Livid is an understatement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Contact NERA. They'll be able to sort you out. You're entitled to holiday pay.

In fairness, it all sounds a bit dodge/under the table.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like a cash in hand job; be aware that the missing taxes that should have been paid in on your behalf and deducted from salary (but most likely was not) will be on you to pay in once it's goes to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Nody wrote: »
    Sounds like a cash in hand job; be aware that the missing taxes that should have been paid in on your behalf and deducted from salary (but most likely was not) will be on you to pay in once it's goes to revenue.

Ah you can't know that. We don't have the full details.

Talk to NERA and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've already sent them an email, haven't had a chance to do anything else. They say they try to reply with 15 days.

Just venting here more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nody wrote: »

It wasn't supposed to be a cash in hand job, my taxes were all paid in the beginning. Or at least the money for them was taken out of my wages.

In other news, I got in contact with the lad who worked here before me and I have strong reason to believe that he had similar problems. I need to have a proper talk with him about it tomorrow though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Suggestion: contact Welfare, and find out how many weeks of PRSI contributions (previously called "stamps") have been paid for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You can do this on the welfare website.
    Welfare.ie

Then click on the link on the left where it says online forms and choose prsi from the menu.

Once you fill that out you souls have a statement of how many contribution were paid for you for the last 2 years.

Remember if you don't have diffident tax paid you won't be eligible to certain social welfare payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

If he's got a P60, there must be some sort of record. As said already, contact Nera.

Advertisement