Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLS courier service - usually this bad?

Options
  • 23-08-2013 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

So, on Tuesday morning I dropped two large boxes to a GLS parcel shop. I was told they would be collected the next day and would arrive at their destinations on Thursday (yesterday).

By last night there was STILL nothing showing for the tracking online. I was getting worried and the parcel recipients were phoning me wondering where their parcels were.

I rang GLS this morning at 8am and was told that there was nothing on their systems in relation to the package but that they would find out and ring me back in a few minutes. It's now 4 and a half hours later and still no call back.

I then proceeded to email the issue. No reply. I've tried phoning since...no result.

I paid over €30 to the parcel shop for delivery of these parcels. It's now Friday and parcels are missing and GLS are just not dealing with me! Are they always this bad? Have I any recourse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

They do have automatic insurance on them.

Maybe call the parcel shop you dropped them into and ask if the parcels were collected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

sandin wrote: »
    They do have automatic insurance on them.

Maybe call the parcel shop you dropped them into and ask if the parcels were collected?

Tried phoning and no answer. They are pretty bad for a courier service. Never again..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I would suggest to go back to the parcel shop you used and verify that the parcels actually made it to GLS, remember those parcel shops are franchises that are supposed to hand over the package to the GLS courier when he comes for the regular collection at their shop.

You should have gotten a tracking number which if it does not show up on the GLS webpage means there is a problem at the parcel shop because in theory even if the parcel is not collected, the system should show an entry for the tracking id reading something like this : Information transmitted, no shipment available now

I used GLS with home collection all the time and don't have any problems, in fact they are way better than others out there, not as good as fastway but miles ahead of my local DPD franchise.

Good luck in finding the parcels.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Unfortunately for you, you have been unlucky enough to pick the worst excuse for a courier company in Ireland.

Their customer service is non existent, what one rep will tell you is one thing, and another rep , something totally different.
    Their drivers say something completely different in the bargain.

I paid 30 euro for a small package from the UK to Ireland. Parcelforce placed the package in Ireland in 1 day.

Thats when the merry go around started. GLS had the parcel for 8 days, most of which was spent in the warehouse in Dublin, listed on their system as held in depo, ect.

At one stage it miraculously its journey down to the midlands for a day out, and was then returned to the depo for another rest. They are a joke.
    And then to put up on their tracking system " wrong address", as the reason for no delivery was the final insult. It was correctly addressed, same as used by an post.

Needless to say, I,m asking for a refund for their part of the involvement
    in this fiasco. I,m also contacting Parcelforce UK to ask them to consider using a dependable, honest courier for the sake of the sanity of Irish recipients of their uk based service.

If you google GLS, you will get a fair idea of how they treat their Irish customers.Avoid GLS at all cost, they should come with a government health warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am a gls parcel shop and have never had trouble like this.

The only thing I can think of if its not on the system, is that its hasnt been picked up yet. When a parcel gets collected from me, its on the system in about 5 mins.

Go back to the place you left it, ask for the manager, and ask them where it is.

• Advertisement

I am a gls parcel shop and have never had trouble like this.

The only thing I can think of if its not on the system, is that its hasnt been picked up yet. When a parcel gets collected from me, its on the system in about 5 mins.

Go back to the place you left it, ask for the manager, and ask them where it is.

It may come as a shock to you but GLS lied about the reason for non delivery of my parcel. " Wrong Address" is the reason they gave on their system. Which is a totally false statement, as its the electoral address that is clearly marked on the parcel, which I still have by the way.

That to me is dishonest, I dont know what else you would call it.
    I personally would never use any courier that causes my packages to have any involvement with GLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have not seen any of this. Did you demand a rep or manager to check this out. If this is the case someone needs a kick in the hole.

Did you go higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I buy a lot of stuff online and GLS/Parcelforce are the only courier I actively avoid. I think it was the 4th problematic delivery in a row that I decided to avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

We used to use Parcelforce when I worked in the UK. We nicknamed them Parcelfarce... goodtimes.

I have not seen any of this. Did you demand a rep or manager to check this out. If this is the case someone needs a kick in the hole.

Did you go higher?

Even though I am the payer of the service for my parcel delivery, I am also the addressee. Which means I have no recourse to a refund.

Their system " wrong address", tag, caused me to contact the sender to call into question, the possibility of him using the wrong address. Of course he didn,t.

Its a tactic GLS appear to use frequently, when they are inept at delivery. Its a " Cover my own arse tag", if you know what I mean.

This is my experience, and according to the internet, many others have been in the same boat as me.

The parcel eventually got to me.................using the address, it started out with.

My advice is to avoid GLS at all cost, if you value your sanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Anthropology

I got a call from GLS saying a parcel sent from my family had been checked by customs because it had no stated value, even though it says NCV (No Commercial Value) on the package.

They asked if it was a gift, I said yes.
    They asked what the value might be. I said ~€20.
    They said I had to pay a €11.50 'administration' fee for them having to handle it.
    They are now holding the package hostage.

Dick move GLS. My family paid ~€50 to get the parcel shipped express and they try this ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I used to work for parcelforce, and we had awful trouble with GLS. Could never get through, parcels were never delivered, excuses were always given.
    I'd always avoid them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I got a call from GLS saying a parcel sent from my family had been checked by customs because it had no stated value, even though it says NCV (No Commercial Value) on the package.

They asked if it was a gift, I said yes.
    They asked what the value might be. I said ~€20.
    They said I had to pay a €11.50 'administration' fee for them having to handle it.
    They are now holding the package hostage.

Dick move GLS. My family paid ~€50 to get the parcel shipped express and they try this ****e.

How are gls at fault for your family not putting a declaration on the package?

All parcels from outside eu have to have a declaration. Likewise if you are sending a parcel to a destination outside the eu, you have to put a declaration on it.

Gls had paperwork to do under customs rules and spent time on it - they are entitled to recover costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It sucks to pay customs, but GLS are not at fault here. There are Customs rules & a value should have been declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Anthropology

sandin wrote: »
    How are gls at fault for your family not putting a declaration on the package?

All parcels from outside eu have to have a declaration. Likewise if you are sending a parcel to a destination outside the eu, you have to put a declaration on it.

Gls had paperwork to do under customs rules and spent time on it - they are entitled to recover costs.

They did include a declaration, I have a photo my Dad send of the detail before sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I was considering buying a new van to go driving for gls... eh reading this thread has me thinking twice

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I shop a lot online for packages from within Ireland, the EU and outside. If I find a shop uses GLS to deliver a parcel, I never use them again. GLS are a joke without a punchline.
    Good
    Luck
    Sucker

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Archeotech

So a friend of mine posted via parcelforce in the UK with an item that was worth €1000. I figured it would be here within 3 or 4 working days as is usual but little did I know that parcelforce used GLS Ireland to deliver.

I live in an apartment with a doorbell/intercom outside. So last Friday I saw a courier drive by but no doorbell and when I checked my mailbox, no delivery slip. Nearly 2 weeks later and my package is nowhere to be seen so I ring Parcelforce and luckily I have a reference number (tracking that only they can use) so they tell me it's sitting in Ireland with an address issue. I ring GLS Ireland and they tell me they couldn't deliver cause they didn't have a phone number! Anyway finally delivers a day later and when I complained to the driver he said he had tried to deliver and somehow got into the building cause of a neighbour and knocked on my door which I never heard. When I asked why there wasn't a delivery slip he just shrugged and walked off. In the week it was sitting with them they made no attempt to contact me, maybe assuming I had psychic powers or something.

Also previous experience with GLS Ireland:
    A small package came from outside EU with a value of €15. Even though it didn't get hit by customs and shouldn't have received any charges, GLS Ireland charged me €12 admin fee anyway saying they had to fill in "paperwork". What a con!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closing.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement