Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser Downloads being removed

Options
  • 23-08-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This might belong in Virus & Malware, mods feel free to move this if so.

I have a user with a laptop which is having issues across all browsers downloading local files. When it downloads a file, even one from an intranet, it states that the file was deleted as it appeared malicious. Now, I immediately thought this was malware so did a full scan of the PC and did a malwarebytes scan also to be thorough. Nothing showed up.

This is the issue and I've come across a number of articles that point to the same fix, however, none of the articles are from reputable sources it would seem so I'm just looking to check here for advice.

I'm worried that the reg key change is turning off the company antivirus from scanning attachments as part of the Windows policy (it's set to 3, when it would normally be 0 or 1) would the value of 3 be referring to an non-windows program such as McAfee AV?

Basically I'm wondering if I'm missing something, is this a common enough glitch or is this something that I should be seriously cautious of - no other laptop or PC on our network has shown this kind of behaviour so it's localized to his PC, but I want to make sure I'm handling this properly.

If anybody has any info on it would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I wouldn't rush to disable that Reg key.

Give AdwCleaner a run (No installation required) just hit search & delete when it displays the results. A restart is required to complete cleaning.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement