Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade machine for the house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If they do arrive DOA monitor wise, then you can send the monitor chassis off to be fixed. You're talking about €100 or so.

If for some reason the monitor is beyond bollocksed and you need a completely new one, it'll be about €300 0r thereabouts.

I would say in reality that these'll arrive okay...if the monitors aren't turning on, chances are something'll be loose after the long trip.

If it's beyond that and it's still not working, then probably just a bad solder joint on the chassis after transporting it from China.

I want to see this happen

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'm in.

PM on it's way to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Kanped wrote: »
    How soon would you need the money? I've always wanted an arcade machine (been looking into building one as importing is usually an insane option but this price is amazing) but right now's not a great time. If I had a month or so to play with, though, I could definitely be interested.

Payment would need to be made before wednesday otherwise after that time a new shipping date needs to be arranged that could increase the price of shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

No way I can get the money together by then, I'm afraid. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I'll pass chunkis...serious bargain, and thanks for the offer but I have 3 cabs now and just bought a fourth cocktail cab that i need to get cracking on.
    Lack of space is my enemy..I'll kick myself over it latter i'm sure.

I hope all goes well, I'm sure it will. I'm just happy for more folk to get there hands on cabs and experience the real deal.
    If any of the FG forum need a hand setting up etc, me (and any of the lads on retro forum) will be all to happy to help.

PS...Kikki, your 360 pad hacks are still working after 2 years...I don't know how:)

I in the same boat as chop chop!3 candies and a cab to sell.
    Love the astros.
    Good luck with the deal!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just to say lads- you're doing this at your own risk.

If this does go arse over tit, I won't be entertaining complaints and boards won't be held responsible.

Just to be perfectly clear on this.

Master of the Universe

Oh I don't think it's been mentioned, but Astros (and other Japanese cabs) run off 100v mains. So you'll need a step down to run them over here. (try to get a Japanese 220v-100v step down rather than the usual USA 220v-120v)

Also try to make sure it's about 300w power.

Hmmm, China runs off 220v like us. If they're coming from there, maybe they've had some work done to convert them over.

Be careful and check first anyway. There'd be nothing worse than if someone plugged it in with a two prong razor adapter without knowing only to fry everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PS...Kikki, your 360 pad hacks are still working after 2 years...I don't know how:)
    I'll tell you how.

It's cos I'm the best.

• Advertisement

Bit more information on the cabs, i am actually talking to two different people now, so i am waiting on different sets of information. But what i do know now is that the machines are working and in good condition, and i have even been offered some kind of refund if the machines don`t work, but they have sold many machines all in good condition so they assure me that these are also working in good condition.

The next thing is the refund, which sounds alright, although what kind of refund would be given if there is problems with the machines am not sure of, but i asked, i think its just going to be the actual cost of the cab and not the shipping which makes sense, but it was nice for that to be offered to me.

( edit they just said that whatever parts are broken, they will send a replacement, provioding we send photos, pictures ect) This is good for us.

I also asked about shipping, the shipping cost is just to the port in ireland, so anything after that we need to deal with ourselves, now the good news is that they will send the cabs as a gift/present this will avoid some but probably not all custom charges/vat, so what they are doing for me now is finding out the name of the handling agent in dublin for me to contact and give the details.

Another thing is that they want me to send the money via TT Remittance banking. This sounded dodgy to me at first and i requested a paypal payment because ive bought things from these guys before and thats what i used but that was 7 years ago, so i guess things have changed a bit since then, but i was wondering if anybody had experience with this form of money transfer as ive never heard of it before, is it safe/secure ect, but when i get home later on ill google and find out what the story is.

The last thing is they said that this deal needs to be completed ASAP, so for people who are 100% interested private message me and let me know so i can confirm the 4 people and arrange payment.

Hopefully ill get the shipping agent details so i can ring them up later today, but this deal is slightly going pear shaped with the possibility of having to pay customs, so are people prepared to pay extra?

The customs could actually make or break this deal, but at this stage i would like to follow it through considering the good communication ive had and the fact that they will supply new parts to anything that is faulty or broken.

So i think that they are actually in talks to find out what the charges would be, so they said thats going to be tomorrow, so just waiting on that now.

I can`t really see the the customs being that expensive and even if it was lets say something ridiculous like 1000 euros, 1000 split 6 ways, comes to 160 euros each, which isn`t going to kill us, but yeah i mean i don`t know this deal is slighting going pear shaped with this customs stuff, so lets just wait and see what they say about customs and take it from there.

I have to go now, so ill check in later on and let you guys know if anything else develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

As far as I can tell, remittance banking is completely secure but also a little dodgy. It's supposed to be used by migrants to send money back to their families in their home countries and so comes with different tax and bank charges than regular transfers. In other words, if the banks know that you're buying goods using it, they might not be too happy about that and it could be regarded as fee evasion (so could marking the goods as a gift, like, so it's not too bad really and it'll keep the cost down). Of course, it'll also make you less likely and able to chase up on it if anything happens with the goods but that's the risk you take, I guess.

Master of the Universe

The whole marking something down as a gift to avoid VAT is grand on smaller packages, I really don't think you're going to get away with it on a container of cabs though! That'd be some gift... :pac:

VAT for an item outside of the EU could be up to 23% (I think that's the figure, been a while since I checked). And that includes the postage fee as part of the calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

Damn it, I would seriously be all over this, but right now I'm just after submitting a job application to London which I am fairly confident about. Oh well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

There's no way a shipping container full of 100kg cabinets will be accepted as a gift in customs, is there? Optimistic doesn't seem like the word there.

Master of the Universe

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    There's no way a shipping container full of 100kg cabinets will be accepted as a gift in customs, is there? Optimistic doesn't seem like the word there.

Nope, not a chance!

You need to assume that they'll be hit for every tax under the sun. If they're not, think of it as an extremely lucky bonus. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

ill certainly take one for 300

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

Are there still any of these left? Would definitely be interested in getting one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why don't ye rent out a van for 50-100 from http://www.vanrentals.ie/van-hire-details.asp?P_ID=204 and drive over?

That one is 70 a day. Can take 500kg's. Probably save close to €1k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

RasTa wrote: »
    Why don't ye rent out a van for 50-100 from vanrentals.ie and drive over?
    Drive over to Hong Kong?!...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Drive over to Hong Kong?!...

Hmmm for some reason I thought these where based in the UK. Nevermind so,
    i'd ask how much to get shipped to Belfast.

Hi guys,

Sorry for not updating for the last few days but ive had nothing to update with, ive been trying to get the exact customs/vat charge upon collection and its a long process of dealing with hong kong time differences and irish handling agents that are slowing things up, and i still haven't got a customs/vat figure yet.

but i got the company to invoice me and the total is 1945. So that works out at 325 each per person per machine.

Now without the cost of customs i can`t give an exact total, so am going to guess what its going to cost for customs, so lets say customs/vat charge is going to be 1000 extra. I can`t really see it being that much, but lets say thats what its going to be, so adding an extra 1000( 160 per person) on top of the 1945 brings us to 2945. This puts us up to 490 for a machine. The deal doesn`t look half as sweet now as it did a few days ago.

Now 325 needs to be paid this week, and the other 160 needs to be paid once the machines land in dublin. I am still interested in this deal, but at this price am pretty sure people are going to change their minds, so what i would like people to do now is this. Private message me if your still interested and have the cash ready and if i can get 4 people to still go all in on this deal i will confirm the order tomorrow. If i can`t get 4 people then we can all just forget about it and maybe look at other group/buy options?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but i know nothing about these kind of machines . What kind of games can i play on this etc ?

donegal. wrote: »
    sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but i know nothing about these kind of machines . What kind of games can i play on this etc ?

Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjxaWMQyZo

Ok so ive got the customs/vat information back from the handling agent and its good news, this is what they had to say.

The customs clearance at Dublin is € 65.00 for the customs entry fee (up to 2 tariff headings, each heading thereafter is € 10.00 per additional). Total cost 85.

The tariff code 950450 for video game machines as noted below is duty exempt therefore only of VAT 23% will be payable on the cargo value declared by shipper. Total cost 447.

9504 50 http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/images/goods_menu.png
    -
    Video game consoles and machines, other than those of subheading 950430

Ok so now we have the final price of what its going to cost to ship and collect the machines.

Machine cost 325 ( paid this week )

Customs 90 euros per person ( paid on collection)

Total 415.

At the moment ive got 3 definite people including myself and about 5 or 6 others who have pmed me who are interested in this deal, but if the deal is to go ahead i need 5 people who are 100% committed, so if your thinking of getting one of these pm me and let me know, the deadline is tomorrow morning, if i can`t get 5 people, then the whole deal falls through :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

chunkis wrote: »
    Ok so ive got the customs/vat information back from the handling agent and its good news, this is what they had to say.

The customs clearance at Dublin is € 65.00 for the customs entry fee (up to 2 tariff headings, each heading thereafter is € 10.00 per additional). Total cost 85.

The tariff code 950450 for video game machines as noted below is duty exempt therefore only of VAT 23% will be payable on the cargo value declared by shipper. Total cost 447.

9504 50 http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/images/goods_menu.png
    -
    Video game consoles and machines, other than those of subheading 950430

Ok so now we have the final price of what its going to cost to ship and collect the machines.

Machine cost 325 ( paid this week )

Customs 90 euros per person ( paid on collection)

Total 415.

At the moment ive got 3 definite people including myself and about 5 or 6 others who have pmed me who are interested in this deal, but if the deal is to go ahead i need 5 people who are 100% committed, so if your thinking of getting one of these pm me and let me know, the deadline is tomorrow morning, if i can`t get 5 people, then the whole deal falls through :(

I think you might have the wrong tariff code there Chunkis. 9504 50 refers to video gaming systems that are NOT coin ops, if I understand correctly- which of course an arcade machine is, and therefore comes under:

95043000.--coin- or token-operated games for arcade, table or parlor (o/than bowling alley equipment) nesoi and parts and accessories thereof

I have no idea if this will affect the tax though. Just saying you should double check that (I'm not an importer, so no expert)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

If it does work out as €415 it's still a smashing deal.

F**k it, just roll in to the port in a van with no plates, load em up and just burn out smashing through the gates and barrels in a blaze of glory with out paying a cent while playing Guile/Ken theme
    You just gave your name as Chunkis Right,RIGHT?

Unfortunately not enough people got back to me in time to go ahead with this deal but am still interested in picking up a machine or two, so if anybody is interested in a group buy from ronnie or any other arcade distributors let me know, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

That's a shame, I was up for it.
    Home many short were you?

• Advertisement

2 short :( but never mind

Advertisement