Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progressing to the next year.. Confused

Options
  • 23-08-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am hoping someone here can help me as I can't get any answers from the college..

In order to progress into 3rd year is it possible to do so with a GPA of 1.98, as in is there any give with the 2.0 minimum? I have a repeat next week and I am trying to be realistic about what grade I am going to get and would just like to know what I am up against if things don't go my way next week.

Also, can you only carry a module over into the next year if you have a GPA of above 2.00? I.e. if I come out with 1.98 would it be possible for me to progress to the next year and carry over a module?

Thanks,

Prettyfireworks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

No matter what grade you get in your repeat you'll be given the GPA equivalent of a C, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the maths of it but that'll leave you with a GPA of 2.00 I think? (not sure, please correct if and probably wrong)

If 3rd year is your final year you can't carry a module. Rules are you can't carry a module into an award year, so if you're doing a level 7 (regardless if you plan for the level 8 or not) you must have the full 60 credits from year 1 and 2 to progress.

If 3rd year isn't an award year for you, I think (stress the think part) you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Drodan wrote: »
    No matter what grade you get in your repeat you'll be given the GPA equivalent of a C, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the maths of it but that'll leave you with a GPA of 2.00 I think? (not sure, please correct if and probably wrong)

If 3rd year is your final year you can't carry a module. Rules are you can't carry a module into an award year, so if you're doing a level 7 (regardless if you plan for the level 8 or not) you must have the full 60 credits from year 1 and 2 to progress.

If 3rd year isn't an award year for you, I think (stress the think part) you'll be grand.

Thanks for the reply.. Can I ask where you got the information from? I have talked to the college on several occasions in the last few weeks and not once has any of the above been mentioned to me. I'm very worried now as if it is like you mentioned about, that the highest grade I can get in terms of GPA calculations is a C, then that leaves me with a GPA of 1.85 at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Thanks for the reply.. Can I ask where you got the information from? I have talked to the college on several occasions in the last few weeks and not once has any of the above been mentioned to me. I'm very worried now as if it is like you mentioned about, that the highest grade I can get in terms of GPA calculations is a C, then that leaves me with a GPA of 1.85 at the most.

Sadly, experience, I've plenty of experience with repeats. Also honestly it's rare enough to find someone in that place who knows 100% what's going on. I've had several moments where different members of staff tell me different things.

Basically if you have 12 Cs you've got the required 60 credits and GPA of 2.0. Unfortunately if you want to get away with a D you'll need a B to even it out for a 2.0.

I would recommend doing as much reading as you can on the website and email your course coordinator regarding it all just in case I'm wrong. Always best to double check y'know

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Just a little update on this for anyone who might be the in the same position. I was talking to someone else in the college re: capped results in repeats. Results are only capped during award years, meaning in my case as long as I get a B I'm sorted! Huge relief :)

Advertisement