Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is he too young to start preschool?

• 23-08-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,
    Our eldest child will be 3 years and 4 months old at the start of September.
    He doesn't go to creche as my wife is not working and stays at home full-time. He is enrolled to started his ECCE preschool year at the start of September.
    We are starting to fret at the last minute that he might be too young for this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

He is not too young for preschool. My nearly 3 year old son would love it and be well able for it, but not sending him this year, waiting til his free year.

The question is, will he be too young for starting primary school at 4 and 4 months?

There was a thread here a few months ago about pros and cons of starting primary school early, something about 'is transition year going to be cut' in the title.

I am not sure, but if you think he is too young next year for school, couldn't you just pay for him to go to preschool for another year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

He is not too young for preschool. My nearly 3 year old son would love it and be well able for it, but not sending him this year, waiting til his free year.

The question is, will he be too young for starting primary school at 4 and 4 months?

There was a thread here a few months ago about pros and cons of starting primary school early, something about 'is transition year going to be cut' in the title.

I am not sure, but if you think he is too young next year for school, couldn't you just pay for him to go to preschool for another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭BarneyJ

Thanks rosebush, ya we were thinking of waiting until he is 5 to start primary school. If the Government introduces a 2nd free ECCE year in the meantime then all the better! I won't hold my breath for that one though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my little one will be 2 years and 8 months starting in Naíonra.
    Is it that you feel he will not be able for school next year? he could do a 2nd year of play school next year if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't think its too young. My child will be about the same and we're planning on two years of preschool before primary. I think five or close to it is way better than four for primary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends on the child, but in general I'd say it's not too young. Some can get bored and destructive if there isn't an outlet.

4 is fine for primary too. Myself and all of my siblings started at 4, one started a few days before his 4th birthday. No educational problems whatsoever, all contributing tax now, no-one got under 500pts in the leaving. None of us did transisition year either.

Some kids thrive on the stimulation. Some need another year to mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends on the child, but in general I'd say it's not too young. Some can get bored and destructive if there isn't an outlet.

4 is fine for primary too. Myself and all of my siblings started at 4, one started a few days before his 4th birthday. No educational problems whatsoever, all contributing tax now, no-one got under 500pts in the leaving. None of us did transisition year either.

just be careful, the primary we want to send our daughter to asked when her birthday was, when we said July, they told us they'd only take her at 5, they aren't taking just 4 year olds anymore, so check with your intended primary school what the minimum age is unless of course you are ok with spending money on pre school next year.

pwurple wrote: »

Its different now though. Different curriculum, little chance of repeating a year and its not until first class that problems with age present, as well as age for secondary, college and the workplace. My husband's mother says she sent all hers far too young, even though they did fine academically. When I taught preschool I often advised against sending children to school at four, and when the parents ignored the advice more often than not they regretted sending them. Its not about readiness for school alone, there's other factors to consider. I don't understand the rush to start children at four.

I understand and mostly agree. All I'm saying is it isn't absolute.

Like I said above, it depends on the child. My aunt sent all of hers at four except the youngest, who she kept home until five... Well, nearly 6 actually. He was the only one of hers with problems at school. She was convinced he was bored as he was well able for the material, but just got sloppy, lazy and disruptive. He started skipping school and getting the bus into the city on his own in 4th class. it didn't go well from there. I'm sure there are anecdotes either way.

None of us are the same. Some of us enjoy the books, others more sporty etc. i remember being the youngest and smallest in my class always, and also mostly coming last in school races at sports days. If sport was my thing I would have certainly been disadvantaged by the earlier start. Depends where the leaning is. It suits some is all I am saying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is more to do with emotional maturity then academic,that last year can make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My guy is going to be 3 and 8 months starting.

It depends on the child IMO, and if they're able for the more structured atmosphere. I have no worries about mine as he's been in creche all along and he's been doing really well in Montessori for the past 6 months.

It's harder to know if the child hasn't had the 'classroom' structure before.

I could have left him another year, but I reckon his hunger to learn is just about right at the moment, and being almost 6 starting school would be too late for him.

Long story short: You know your child best OP. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My little one is starting in Montessori this year. She'll be two and 8 months. I spoke to the teacher at the Montessori and she recommended a part time year for the first year, and then the free full time year. My little one will then be 4 and 8 months starting school.

I've a friend who's a teacher and said in most cases nowadays they recommend the kids being nearer to five than four starting if possible, and I think a lot of schools have cut offs for birthdays to force this.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Here legally you don't have to start school until the year you turn 6, but you start pre-school/nursery the year you turn 3. This means my little one will be starting in September 2014 when she will be 2 years 9 months (if she's potty trained by then. I can't send her if she's not)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

lazygal wrote: »
    Its different now though. Different curriculum, little chance of repeating a year and its not until first class that problems with age present

Where on earth have you pulled this from? If a child is not ready to proceed with anything academically, socially or otherwise problems can present at any stage from instantly to within days, weeks or months.

Children can develop anxiety, sleep regression, bedwetting, exhibit challenging behaviour that they may never have shown before.

They certainly don't all wait until they hit first class to begin showing academic or psychological difficulties.

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Where on earth have you pulled this from? If a child is not ready to proceed with anything academically, socially or otherwise problems can present at any stage from instantly to within days, weeks or months.

Children can develop anxiety, sleep regression, bedwetting, exhibit challenging behaviour that they may never have shown before.

They certainly don't all wait until they hit first class to begin showing academic or psychological difficulties.
    I pulled it from my experience of early childhood education and the many primary teachers I know. I'm referring to academic difficulties and general social problems as the more structured system kicks in, everyone knows problems can present any time but children who were 'well able' for infants but are struggling will fall behind and it manifests in first class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

lazygal wrote: »
    I pulled it from my experience of early childhood education and the many primary teachers I know. I'm referring to academic difficulties and general social problems as the more structured system kicks in, everyone knows problems can present any time but children who were 'well able' for infants but are struggling will fall behind and it manifests in first class.

I am a teacher and I can assure you this is absolutely not true. Children are individuals and present difficulties at any time, for many reasons. Your 'difficulties in first class' notion is completely random and unfounded.

Ciarabear wrote: »
    I am a teacher and I can assure you this is absolutely not true. Children are individuals and present difficulties at any time, for many reasons. Your 'difficulties in first class' notion is completely random and unfounded.

I'll still go on what the primary teachers I know have experience of in real life, and I'll pass my experience and theirs on when appropriate. It's not random and unfounded, of course your experience may differ from the education professionals I've worked with.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is more to do with emotional maturity then academic,that last year can make a huge difference.

What does this mean specifically?

Is it that they will be frightened and crying in school? If this was the case it would be pretty obvious and they clearly wouldn't be ready.

Or is it making friends? Again, this would be fairly clear.

Advertisement