Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheet & Bedding for infant in hot/warm weather

Options
  • 23-08-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the amount of blankets or any that should be on the moses basket for this time of year - week old son.

The last few days have been hot around 23 or 24 degrees in the day and evening (I know it wouldn't last) but District Nurse said to wife that in this weather infant wouldn't need a blanket. While I agree that it is hot I feel that putting him down without a blanket ( in vest and baby grow only) means that he doesn't settle as invariably he is being but down after being snuggle up BF and then winded - he goes from a warm environment to a cold one and snaps out of his slumber - what is the solution?

Only a week old and maybe too soon to see a pattern but there has been very little sleep from him in the basket but he nods of when me or wife are holding him - don't want him to become dependant on us to nod off.

I'd be in favour of swaddling him but the Hospital advised against swaddling which I find crazy so wife is totally against it now- can't really argue with her at this stage but perhaps if we go many days with little or no sleep in the basket she may change her mind - here's hoping!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Congratulations. I think the swaddling recommendation is related to cot death so I would adhere to it.
    Most babies love going to sleep in parents arms regardless of the weather.

I would try him in the basket with a vest and babygro with no blanket or with just a vest and a light sheet (pillow case if you don't have one) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My midwife told me to swaddle...!! I swaddled both mine til 12 weeks and it definitely helped settle them - they had very twitchy arms and would wake themselves constantly without it! At 12 weeks that jerk reflex is gone and they more likely to roll soon so I stop swaddling. We used the 'gro swaddle' blanket both times - even in the hot weather it's nice & light and we just used a nappy or vest underneath depending. Swaddling does seem to always be in debate in relation to SIDS - I always propped mine slightly on one side with a cellular and always felt they were extremely safe. So that was in holles st 18 months ago and 14 weeks ago - both times told to swaddle - different studies have different evidence as far as I'm aware so it's not black or white. Anyway it was best for my girls until 12 weeks. I can completely understand your wife wanting to stick with midwifes advice though. Depends who u get unfortunately - I found the same with breast feeding advice - I was told contradicting information all the time. It's hard to know :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

congrats:)

Mine would sleep in a vest and blanket in the hot weather as small babies .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

In 2011 the coombe and our phn told us to swaddle. This year both told us not to swaddle.

I've been putting my daughter in a baby gro on the normal nights but just in a vest on the very hot nights. I'd place a cellular blanket over her but not very tightly.

I'd personally think a baby gro and a vest is too much but thats in our apartment where our room is 22-24oc every night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

The temp in our bedrooms reads from
    22 to 24 degrees. I still however think it drops lower later in the night and is too cool for a baby. As an adult I sleep in shorts with a light duvet over me so I think a babygrow for a week old baby isn't enough. I swaddled but if you're concerned mamas and papas do these sort of swaddle bags. Have no personal experience of them but they might suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

M007 wrote: »
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about the amount of blankets or any that should be on the moses basket for this time of year - week old son.

The last few days have been hot around 23 or 24 degrees in the day and evening (I know it wouldn't last) but District Nurse said to wife that in this weather infant wouldn't need a blanket. While I agree that it is hot I feel that putting him down without a blanket ( in vest and baby grow only) means that he doesn't settle as invariably he is being but down after being snuggle up BF and then winded - he goes from a warm environment to a cold one and snaps out of his slumber - what is the solution?

Only a week old and maybe too soon to see a pattern but there has been very little sleep from him in the basket but he nods of when me or wife are holding him - don't want him to become dependant on us to nod off.

I'd be in favour of swaddling him but the Hospital advised against swaddling which I find crazy so wife is totally against it now- can't really argue with her at this stage but perhaps if we go many days with little or no sleep in the basket she may change her mind - here's hoping!

I think gro bags are a god send! Maybe try one? They are proven to be very safe aswell. Midwives always told us no more than one cellular blanket and to keep the room 18 degrees only! Even in winter! Well that didn't last long. We've been keeping our 9 month old in a 1 tog gro bag and either light baby gro with no feet or a t-shirt. His room has been reading 22-23 degrees. He sleeps soundly all night (touch wood). Perhaps putting your little one in a gro bag or putting a blanket over him/her would give her some comfort. I wouldn't leave her without anything over her at only one week.

Advertisement