Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and Netflix SuperHD

• 23-08-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I thought I let you know that UPC despite being the fastest provider still doesn't allow Netflix SuperHD which only requires 5Mb of download speed ,the reason is that UPC didn't join the open connect network shared by Netflix. I contacted UPC on twitter and facebook and they don't have any update on wether this service is coming or not , you wouldn't expect this from a company as big as UPC trying to get most of the market share.disappointing really

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Long thread on UPC forum about it..... reps just repeat the same thing:

"Thanks for your interest, we'll keep you updated"....

Suffice to say I'm on UPC and have it, not hard to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Apologies didn't realise it was known issue . How are get it are you using unblockus Geographical Zones , are you getting SuperHD in Ireland Or USA Zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

ArthurG wrote: »
    Long thread on UPC forum about it..... reps just repeat the same thing:

"Thanks for your interest, we'll keep you updated"....

Suffice to say I'm on UPC and have it, not hard to set up.

Same here, would like to know how you got it going :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Same here, would like to know how you got it going :)

Get a SmartDNS account and all problems solved and gets you iPlayer and all other sorts of geo locked services

https://www.overplay.net/blog/overplay-smartdns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

http://unotelly.com does much the same thing as SmartDNS and is cheaper. They have very responsive customer service, as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

No thanks to UPC we all have superhd now :)

I turned on breaking and just now and noticed the superhd logo!

Wooh!

http://blog.netflix.com/2013/09/highest-quality-hd-now-available-to-all.html?m=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What device are you using for play back? I'm using an Apple TV and was wondering how I will know it is playing back with super HD (which is a totally made up term!"). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

http://unotelly.com does much the same thing as SmartDNS and is cheaper. They have very responsive customer service, as well.

This looks interesting but their pricing isn't very clear (or I haven't woken up porperlly yet!).

So do I pay $4.99 oer month for Unodns and $17.99 per month for a VPN and €7 per month for Netflix?

:EDIT: Or just the $4.99 for UnoDNS Premium and then Netfliz sub separately? Looks like the VPN is included in the price on that package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I just have a DNS with overplay.net - you don't need the VPN too......

(edit - unless of course you have need of a VPN!)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

I use unblock us .com and I'm happy enough bypassing UPC DNS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

..Brian.. wrote: »
    This looks interesting but their pricing isn't very clear (or I haven't woken up porperlly yet!).

So do I pay $4.99 oer month for Unodns and $17.99 per month for a VPN and €7 per month for Netflix?

:EDIT: Or just the $4.99 for UnoDNS Premium and then Netfliz sub separately? Looks like the VPN is included in the price on that package

You don't need the VPN if all you want to do is watch US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc. All you need is their DNS service, which has a sliding scale of prices depending on how long you sign up for. If you pay $1 more, you get a VPN service as well, which is useful for security on public wifi networks as well as if you use a service that isn't fooled by the DNS spoofing (I've found that certain French channels aren't, though I use a separate, non-unotelly, VPN with a point of presence in France for them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Get a SmartDNS account and all problems solved and gets you iPlayer and all other sorts of geo locked services

https://www.overplay.net/blog/overplay-smartdns

Hi TCP/IP, If I read your post correctly and the blurb on the Overplay site the SmartDNS service actually sits on your router and detects what traffic to send via it's servers (i.e. whitelisted geo locked "service" sites) and all your other traffic goes via your ISP?

I'm on UPC 50mb fibre with 14 connected devices in my house (3 laptops, one PC, xBox, Wii, WD Live, 5 Android phones and two tablets) so a service which sat on the router rather than having to be set up on each device would be wicked.

Have I got the right end of the stick?

Ben

Advertisement