Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation or lack there of in The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread?

Options
  • 23-08-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

It's actually disgusting the absolute horrible carry on some posters get away with there. I have no problem criticising the content of the show. It's the personal abuse to his family and private life should be removed. I have reported it many times and received PM's from the moderator there that I am reporting too much. Well maybe if the Moderators did their job I wouldn't have to report it.

Here is the moderator bbability's PM I received on the 2/6/2013

Removed, shouldn't have posted the PM from bbability

Ban me from the radio forum if needs be, but the posts by Neeson that I reported are crossing the line and should have been removed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I agree that some of the posts in that thread and other threads in that forum are absolutely disgusting. It's amazing that the forum generates the level of two-way vitriol that it does.

However, as I understand matters, it is probably slightly light of moderators. There are only 3 moderators in what is a busy and volatile forum. A lot of the threads can randomly explode into a pile of siht with no notice whatsoever so it is practically impossible to moderate with three people, particularly if any one of them has anything else they might want to do in the middle of the night, like sleep.

I don't think it's a lack of motivation, I think it's simply the case that the forum is under-resourced from a moderator perspective.

(I think it's probably a little bit of overkill on your part to post that PM here for what is, in essence, general feedback rather than a specific issue with a particular moderator. I can see how the moderator might be slightly miffed if they are getting numerous reported posts at unreasonable hours.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I agree that some of the posts in that thread and other threads in that forum are absolutely disgusting. It's amazing that the forum generates the level of two-way vitriol that it does.

However, as I understand matters, it is probably slightly light of moderators. There are only 3 moderators in what is a busy and volatile forum. A lot of the threads can randomly explode into a pile of siht with no notice whatsoever so it is practically impossible to moderate with three people, particularly if any one of them has anything else they might want to do in the middle of the night, like sleep.

I don't think it's a lack of motivation, I think it's simply the case that the forum is under-resourced from a moderator perspective.

(I think it's probably a little bit of overkill on your part to post that PM here for what is, in essence, general feedback rather than a specific issue with a particular moderator. I can see how the moderator might be slightly miffed if they are getting numerous reported posts at unreasonable hours.)

My 3 points in reply would be... As it has a low number of moderators either bring in more moderators or introduce a zero tolerance policy to the forum. Should help stop those comments anyway?

I never expected a moderator to deal with my complaint at 2 am... I made the complaint at 2am because if I didn't do it then I would have forgotten about it the next day. I understand we all have our own work and sleep etc to getting on with. I genuinely thought by highlighting the offensive comments I would be helping the mods.

Lastly in relation to posting the PM, I have thought about this on an off for 3 months and I thought transparency is the only option to go with. I don't mean to offend bbability by posting it but I wanted to show that I have had issues with the radio mods or rather they have had issues with me using the report button excessively.

I stand by my op, ban me from the radio forum if you wish but that thread has a horribly negative atmosphere and it should be locked, deleted and started again. Because anyone who read the comments in there would get a very poor picture of boards.ie

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

So, you have two separate issues with the radio forum:

1. You think it is under-moderated;
    2. You have issues with the moderators there, or they have issues with you?

I just want to be clear that I think that there are two distinct issues at play and you may be using one to reinforce your feelings on the other. It might be an idea to address those issues one at a time.

I personally feel these kind of discussions should be heavily moderated. It's the same over on the TV forum, where they discuss in real-time the likes of the Late Late Show and the Saturday Night Show. I've actually had to stop reading them, because the personal abuse that can be flung is absolutely terrifying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...However, as I understand matters, it is probably slightly light of moderators. There are only 3 moderators in what is a busy and volatile forum. A lot of the threads can randomly explode into a pile of siht with no notice whatsoever so it is practically impossible to moderate with three people, particularly if any one of them has anything else they might want to do in the middle of the night, like sleep....

You have to realise that moderators have lives outside Boards and we work full time jobs like everyone else. So we can't keep an eye on everything that happens. All we can hope is the proper use of the reporting system and people reading the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I personally feel these kind of discussions should be heavily moderated. It's the same over on the TV forum, where they discuss in real-time the likes of the Late Late Show and the Saturday Night Show. I've actually had to stop reading them, because the personal abuse that can be flung is absolutely terrifying.
    Same here, although it is unreasonable to expect a mod to sit in front of their PC on a Friday or Saturday night. On the other hand, because of the freakishly cliquey vibe on those threads, I would feel the amount of reported posts would be quite small no matter how personal the abuse is.

Tough one to right in fairness.

As regards radio, I cannot believe a Mod is whinging about posts being reported.

W.T.F.??

Mods pop up regularly on Feedback threads pleading (justifiably) for posters to report posts and stating that it makes their job so much easier, but yet the Mod in the OP feels this is a hindrance.

Explanation needed please.

The Liveline thread is also allowed chug along with the usual thanks whoring abuse of presenters from the same rota of posters with virtually no visible action from any Mod.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Deedsie wrote: »
    You are constantly pushing the boundaries when you are reporting a post such as you comments at 2am this morning.

This forum is moderated by hard working people who won't knee jerk to people like you who think we have nothing better to do than moderate posts that you don't like.

So in closing please let the moderators do their job. If you keep this up I will ban you from the forum.

BB

I think there is something else going on here other than just reporting of posts. There seems to be some history judging by the comments quoted above. There is nothing here saying not to report posts. I would rather hear both sides before jumping to any conclusions.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think there is something else going on here other than just reporting of posts. There seems to be some history judging by the comments quoted above. There is nothing here saying not to report posts. I would rather hear both sides before jumping to any conclusions.

***Removed, shouldn't have posted the PM from bbability***

This was the warning from bbability previous to the quote above.

You have received a warning at boards.ie

Dear Deedsie,

You have received a warning at boards.ie.

Reason:
    Breach of Peace

Hi

You are reporting more posts in forum than posting. It's bordering trolling.

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
    boards.ie

That is all the correspondence I have from and to bbability. As I say, I probably did report too often in the radio forum, but so much is just let get away with. And then the mods when they they do intervene just leave the comments live and dont delete them. Some comments about Ray and Jenny in particular are plain nasty. The thread should be deleted and all posts taken off the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Question. New account has posted in there on the pic of Ray with his new bride saying, "it looks like she's expecting no 3"
    Is that sly dig allowed or would I be oversensitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Question. New account has posted in there on the pic of Ray with his new bride saying, "it looks like she's expecting no 3"
    Is that sly dig allowed or would I be oversensitive?

i think that is a very sly dig and as much as i have criticised ray in that thread,there is no call for some of the comments in there over the last few weeks.
    i would agree the mods in there are asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like radio as a medium and the forum on here. However, it sometimes makes for awkward reading as the bigger threads/more high profile presenters unsurprisingly come in for more stick. Perhaps also (I don't listen to the RD show) because of how some presenters share some of themselves people think their personal lives are fair game.

I've reported posts in the past and will do so in the future if stuff is going on. In fairness to the mods, looking at their past posts, it seems that they have been asking people to keep it civil and so on. However, this thread in particular might need a post cull, not just a fresh set of warnings. Anyone whose had a boards account for a while knows that mods are volunteers and have their own lives and not all reported posts warrant action, so reminding people of that seems a bit pointless.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I have removed it and s/he has been banned for a week - Sorry, but it's clearly highlighted in the charter that "-we must insist that criticisms be directed toward the radio programme and their skills at producing that programme, not them personally and that those criticisms be made in a civil way-".

If you're going to fail at the first hurdle with low-key trolling or sly digs, you can find yourself somewhere else to post your sly garbage while I try to get people back to talking about "Radio" and not personal lives of those involved in said industry.

EDIT:
    Please continue Reporting Posts of this nature and I'll look into them when I can - I'm assuming the current Moderators (Except Itzy, I believe) may be away or busy right now.

Would there be any avenue that could result in the current thread being locked and removed from the site permanently?

Those hideous comments are still there and will possibly let future posters think its ok to post such bile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I suppose that most people who post in the radio forum read only threads about programmes that they listen to. I don't listen to Ray D'Arcy, so I hadn't been following the thread under discussion here, but once OP started this thread, I had a look to see what was happening there. To be honest, it struck me as not much worse than other threads in the forum. That does not mean that I think that it was acceptable.

We are dealing with celebrity culture here. Broadcasters are celebrities, and there seems to be a widely held belief that their fame makes them fair game for almost any kind of cruel comment. It's not a view I share, and the radio forum charter guides users towards a view like mine. RopeDrink posted this extract in the contentious thread:
    In particular, personal abuse towards those working in the radio industry (presenters, producers, etc.) OR those appearing as guests/callers on radio shows will not be tolerated. Yes, they have put themselves in a public position and should be open to criticism but we must insist that criticisms be directed toward the radio programme and their skills at producing that programme, not them personally and that those criticisms be made in a civil way (i.e.: not stooping to name calling or vulgarity).
    I would be very happy to see the charter applied - not only in the Ray D'Arcy thread, but across the forum. I think it will require some re-education of participants, and there might be a need for some warnings and bans along the way.

I am grateful to RopeDrink for being willing to tackle this problem.

Would there be any avenue that could result in the current thread being locked and removed from the site permanently?

Those hideous comments are still there and will possibly let future posters think its ok to post such bile

Not if the post receives noticeable infractions or mod edits giving warnings. Perhaps a new practice in this case would be for a mod to not just give an infraction in this case, but a warning/reason too. So future posters will know 100% that it will not be tolerated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

First off,

never be discouraged from reporting posts. Once it deserves a report, it will be read and looked into. I'll be the first to admit I've been quite M.I.A. lately but that's something I shall address myself.

I'm not going to lie, i'm quite shocked at the amount of abuse the radio forum generates and it is something we need to take a heavier hand with. Apologies for letting it get this far

Splinter

Splinter wrote: »
    First off,

never be discouraged from reporting posts. Once it deserves a report, it will be read and looked into. I'll be the first to admit I've been quite M.I.A. lately but that's something I shall address myself.

I'm not going to lie, i'm quite shocked at the amount of abuse the radio forum generates and it is something we need to take a heavier hand with. Apologies for letting it get this far

Splinter

I don't blame the mods, talk about a thankless job. Would one of the mods bring this thread to the attention of bbability? I don't want to PM him about it and I think it's only fair he gets the opportunity to defend himself. I'd hate this to be an attack on the mods thread. It was not my intention.

Obviously it's up to the radio mods but in my opinion it's time for a new Ray Darcy Show Thread Ver 2.0 with a clear mod warning in the opening post?

He is away for three weeks I think, would this not be a good time to start again?

Well, personally, when someone publicly posts 'private messages' for everyone to see, that does become an attack in my eyes :pac:

I'd personally edit out the Private Messages and hold the discussion between you two privately, but that's just me - If this is truly about improving the carry on that goes on in Radio // That specific thread, then the rest could be dealt with nicely and quietly elsewhere.

If you feel the PM's were relevant and wanted to remove the transparency, it'd have been polite to ask first at the very least.

Fair enough,

It is the feedback forum though? I didn't pick a fight with a mod on thread or anything?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I don't blame the mods, talk about a thankless job. Would one of the mods bring this thread to the attention of bbability? I don't want to PM him about it and I think it's only fair he gets the opportunity to defend himself. I'd hate this to be an attack on the mods thread. It was not my intention.

I understand where you're coming from, but in your very first post
    Well maybe if the Moderators did their job I wouldn't have to report it.

so yes, you have blamed the mods. bbability is aware of this topic also

Splinter wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from, but in your very first post

so yes, you have blamed the mods. bbability is aware of this topic also

Ya fair enough, ill have to take that on the chin. Apologies to the radio mods

The location is pretty irrelevant, really. Just because it's Feedback (Aimed at offering site feedback) doesn't make it OK (In my opinion, keep this in mind) to publicly post Private Messages that make people look bad and without the full story.

This doesn't become any less awkward just because you didn't keep it in Radio, or in a Radio thread :P

Hell I'd have thought posting private messages publicly was, if not heavily frowned apon, possibly even against site rules. If it's not, I'd have viewed them as such anyways just to be safe. If I have a beef with a specific person, Mod, Admin, User or otherwise, I'd have avoided airing that laundry in public, especially Feedback Forum which is notorious for threads targetting specific people under the 'guise' of helpfulness (Not saying this is the case, just saying how it can sometimes be viewed here).

PM's removed and apologies to bbability for posting them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IMO, a large part of the problem is that the majority of the larger threads in the forum are discussing shows that are heavily personality based. A lot of the criticism the shows get is people disliking particular traits of presenters - be it Ray Foley's perceived arrogance, Joe Duffy's perceived populism, Tom Dunne's perceived lack of personality (these are just random examples).

It has escalated in the past week or so though, particularly in the Ray D'Arcy thread which is probably the only of the bigger threads I'm familiar with as I don't listen to Liveline or Mooney.

I think it just got out of hand to be honest. The jibes at Mairead Farrell and Jenny Kelly in recent weeks have been quite disgusting. I think it's made even more complicated by the fact Ray mentions his family on the show a lot, and so posters feel that these are now fair game.

The PM's posted are, on face value, a bit odd, but we don't know both sides of the story - i.e the content and number of reported posts. The report post function is open to abuse and maybe the mod in question felt the OP was abusing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PM's removed and apologies to bbability for posting them in the first place.
    Good that you have removed that PM.

Private messages should remain exactly that. The only circumstances where PMs can be posted is where they relate to a dispute of a card/ban in the Dispute Resolution forum, or where you have the express permission of the sender.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The PM's posted are, on face value, a bit odd, but we don't know both sides of the story - i.e the content and number of reported posts. The report post function is open to abuse and maybe the mod in question felt the OP was abusing it.

I don't contest this at all.

Does only one moderator receive the reports at a time or does it go to all 3 of them?

Will the radio forum moderators please let us know if they have any strategy for the future of the Ray Darcy show thread. I made a suggestion, delete the current thread and start again with a very clear warning in the OP about referencing the personal lives of those discussed.

Is this being considered or is it just back to the same old same old policy that in my opinion doesn't work? I'd happily help by discouraging posters on thread from making such comments but I don't want to be accused of back seat modding.

Leave the Moderating to the Moderators.
    If you want to help, use the Reported Post button when something crops up.

It doesn't help when you demand results for an issue they are looking into.

I wasn't demanding, I just wanted to know what was going on? Was any change being discussed etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Will the radio forum moderators please let us know if they have any strategy for the future of the Ray Darcy show thread. I made a suggestion, delete the current thread and start again with a very clear warning in the OP about referencing the personal lives of those discussed.

Is this being considered or is it just back to the same old same old policy that in my opinion doesn't work? I'd happily help by discouraging posters on thread from making such comments but I don't want to be accused of back seat modding.

Being fair reading your opening post which comes across as a veiled critism against a mod you have lost allot of credibility in my eyes.

If you were part of the mod team would you encourage this behaviour by working with someone who provides feedback in this manner ? It would be a case of dealing with those that shout the loudest.

I don't see why the treads cannot be cleaned up or a warning put in place from now on or even a charter update refresh.

Last I remember, the Mods were discussing the need for a heavier hand - Whether or not that includes future thread deletion is up to them. If they do, it'll eventually have to include any similar threads, so this isn't really just about one thread and probably why you won't get instant results.

I really hope they don't resort to this, some reports have long history and it be a shame to delete them. Hopefully the mod team will take this into account when deciding what to do .

Calhoun wrote: »
    Being fair reading your opening post which comes across as a veiled critism against a mod you have lost allot of credibility in my eyes.

If you were part of the mod team would you encourage this behaviour by working with someone who provides feedback in this manner ? It would be a case of dealing with those that shout the loudest.

I don't see why the treads cannot be cleaned up or a warning put in place from now on or even a charter update refresh.

I would take the criticism on the chin and act accordingly like I did in this very thread. Posters highlighted to me that I shouldn't have included the PM's so I removed them immediately. I don't get a benefit from this, this is my personal time I am using to try and help the site be a more welcoming place with a warmer community atmosphere.

I don't have any agenda other than that! I've been posting here for six years at this stage without any major trouble with moderators...

My credibility should not be in question!

I would take the criticism on the chin and act accordingly like I did in this very thread. Posters highlighted to me that I shouldn't have included the PM's so I removed them immediately. I don't get a benefit from this, this is my personal time I am using to try and help the site be a more welcoming place with a warmer community atmosphere.

I don't have any agenda other than that! I've been posting here for six years at this stage without any major trouble with moderators...

My credibility should not be in question!

Your original post was on 23rd you removed the private message on 25th or posted to say you had. I can't see when you edited it but it still wasn't right. Not to be condescending but the folks who deserve respect are the mods, the volunteer free time and deal with cramp behind the scene you probably will never see.

Following on from this your posts are very pointed , maybe you don't intend it but your tone when asking for feedback is demanding.

Site registration doesn't mean your above reproach, i and many responding have been posting longer and I don't know about them but I don't agree with your approach.

I also don't agree with your solution because of the cause and effect it would have for other threads.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Your original post was on 23rd you removed the private message on 25th or posted to say you had. I can't see when you edited it but it still wasn't right. Not to be condescending but the folks who deserve respect are the mods, the volunteer free time and deal with cramp behind the scene you probably will never see.

Following on from this your posts are very pointed , maybe you don't intend it but your tone when asking for feedback is demanding.

Site registration doesn't mean your above reproach, i and many responding have been posting longer and I don't know about them but I don't agree with your approach.

I also don't agree with your solution because of the cause and effect it would have for other threads.

I am demanding absolutely nothing. I am agitating for change on the way the radio forum is moderated, i don't see how that is a bad thing. If my approach was too strong I am annoyed at myself for being rude or pushy. So i am sorry for that. The Ray Darcy Show thread started in April 2007. We are on Ver 3.0 of the Vincent Browne thread in the television forum. The tonight with Vincent Browne show started in 2007. So that megathread has been updated 3 times in the same time as the Ray Darcy Show megathread has existed?

I agree moderators should be respected and appreciated for what they do, conscientious posters deserve the same respect and appreciation in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement