Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation or lack there of in The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread?

Options
13»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Calhoun wrote: »
    To be fair though is it any wonder that this thread isn't going to plan? I mean it started off with a veiled criticism of the mod team. Then it moved on from there to a new cmod(well intentioned) intervening and possibly stepping on the toes of his mods.

It looks like right now we have a situation where posters are using this thread as a platform to publicly escalate issues about how the radio forum is being modded (escalate to cmod). This in turn then leads the posts from the radio mods to come from a position of justification but also showing they are in control and making firm points.

If there is to be constructive improvement into the radio forum i don't think its going to happen here as this post is not neutral. Maybe in this case a new thread is needed or perhaps one of the "how are we doing" threads within the radio forum and led by the radio mods is needed.

I could have read this one completely wrong but all i know is if i was doing a volunteer job this thread in its current forum would also have me on the defensive.

Thanks Calhoun, nicely put. I do agree that this thread seems to have taken a turn from mod intervention in one thread to how we (we being the radio moderators) deal with the forum itself. I will be happy to go with a "how are we doing" thread, provided it goes to constructive criticism and people are aware that it's both parties that are in need of work here. Yes there are things we could improve upon, but the nature of the posts themselves is the crux of the issue. IF it was all peachy and everyone kept the peace, we wouldn't be needed at all, but hey, this is the internet after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I don't remember claiming there to be a problem per say...
    You didn't claim there was a problem; I interpreted your contributions to the discussion as a sign that you thought there might be one. Sorry for over-interpreting your position.

I somewhat think that real-time threads on things like chat shows, radio shows, and the ilk should either be heavily moderated (with a zero leeway stance on anything resembling abuse and forum bans for anyone that does and site-bans for anyone that still keeps doing it) or banned completely.

Sure, the people will shout and complain and moan that the place is over-zealously moderated, that there's no freedom of speech and yada yada, but the simple fact of the matter that this isn't the local pub, this isn't your friend's house, and this isn't somewhere that it is allowed; it is a private entity that can, and has in the past, be held accountable for those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Not sure what the current situation with this thread is, closing the thread and starting another Radio forum feedback thread had been mentioned but it hasn't happened

Just wanted to add, I had suggestion of closing the Ray Darcy show thread and starting again with a version 2.0 like Vincent Browne TV show. I was told not to compare fora, same rules don't apply etc.

The Joe Duffy liveline show thread was restarted on the 20/7/2013.

Another thread in the radio forum that cut's a little close to the bone on guests on the show.

Why don't those rules apply to other threads within the radio forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Deedsie wrote: »
    Not sure what the current situation with this thread is, closing the thread and starting another Radio forum feedback thread had been mentioned but it hasn't happened

Just wanted to add, I had suggestion of closing the Ray Darcy show thread and starting again with a version 2.0 like Vincent Browne TV show. I was told not to compare fora, same rules don't apply etc.

The Joe Duffy liveline show thread was restarted on the 20/7/2013.

Another thread in the radio forum that cut's a little close to the bone on guests on the show.

Why don't those rules apply to other threads within the radio forum?

Once a thread gets near 10k posts it needs to be closed because otherwise it causes hassle with the site, that's why you tend to see thread versions x,y and z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This thread has served it's purpose and given the Radio mods food for thought (discussions are happening elsewhere as I type this).

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement