Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and kids - unwanted 'visitors'

Options
  • 23-08-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi everyone.
    What's the law in Ireland regarding neighbours who let their dog go to your property (bark and **** in your garden), and kids who destroyed the trees' fence, and kept coming to your place to play, run, and hang to trees?
    I live with my boyfriend, it's his property, not mine. He works all day in another town, and I'm most the time at home. I'm the one who suffers from the presence of dogs (especially that I have dogs' phobia!), and the kids who come to play are really annoying... besides they are destructive, rude, and many of them are so young I'm shocked their parents can leave them UNATTENDED!!! What if one of them ran, fell and broke his leg or arm? or died in our garden? what will happen? Days ago, I saw the neighbour's kid who was playing with another child in a part of our garden, their father was in his garden and he saw what they were doing, but didn't tell them to keep out of our property... (How come???!!), and when I was taking the bins out later, his dog saw me and ran towards me barking (which made me panic!), and the man came in the garden, and was trying to catch his dog, without saying hi to me or "sorry"! He walked in as if he owned the place!! I then said hi, and asked if those kids are his kids, and he said one of them is, and I asked him to ask them not to play in our garden, he replied "ok, no problem". No sorry, or anything.
    We have a big property, and it was all surrounded by trees. And as soon as some houses were build next to it (the architect was too stupid to design a wall to separate those houses from us??), they started knocking the ditches, we saw some throwing earth to our garden, while others sprayed some trees to kill them to have a super view on our fields and even set a tent to cover vegetables that they planted ON THE DITCH (!)... Kids come to play, and they don't forget to throw their snack/chips empty bags in our garden... I'm shocked from all this, because, in any places/countries I lived before in my life, I just never experienced this. My boyfriend says many of them are probably getting social welfare, and can get free legal aid, while if himself wanted to take legal action, he would be paying serious money.. he also fears that if he got into fights, they will gang up together and cause damage to his land just to annoy him.

Normally, there should have been a wall buit to separate those houses from us. I wish I could do something myself, but I'm not the owner.. but I keep taking pictures and videos of anything happening around, as proof, and I asked neighbours to keep their dog away, and kids not to come to our private property, but it's like talking to walls..

Any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Plant a load of nettles around the property? Or thorny bushes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

reprt it to the Gardai if you are really unhappy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lehmann

I like the idea of the thorny bushes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thorny bushes should work, or aggressively fast growing sturdy trees like Leylandii. You can also get pet deterrent capsules, sprays or noise devices.

athtrasna: thank you so much for these solutions! Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

try talking to the kids first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pyracantha is a beautiful plant- with festive red berries that attract birds into the garden etc. That should deal with the human kids. The dogs- well, pepper is great, and its environmentally friendly, and easily available- only problem is you have to spread it again every time it rains.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Build a wall.

handlemaster: I talked many times to them, but they don't care, keep coming back. They seem to enjoy that!!
    The_Conductor: that's another good idea! thank you.
    Cuddlesworth: this is a big property; building a long wall will cost us some money which we don't have at the moment dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

You could develop a sudden and nasty rat infestation.

Of course you'd have no choice but to put out lots and lots of rat traps (like giant mousetraps).

As rats tend to be quite clever you'll have to hide the traps.

Make sure you warn the neighbours about them though!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wexie wrote: »
    You could develop a sudden and nasty rat infestation.

Of course you'd have no choice but to put out lots and lots of rat traps (like giant mousetraps).

As rats tend to be quite clever you'll have to hide the traps.

Make sure you warn the neighbours about them though!!

You'll have the council environmental health officer on the case in no time flat- if you go down this route. There is always some busy body who ensures they turn up- its a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

You'll have the council environmental health officer on the case in no time flat- if you go down this route. There is always some busy body who ensures they turn up- its a given.

You're kidding right?

eugh....you probably aren't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you have to live in this neighbourhood: you can have the local kids hate you (and do all sorts of stuff) or like you (and most likely stop others doing nasty stuff to your house/car). I know which I'd choose.

If you think the kids are too young to be out alone, contact the HSE.

Advertisement