Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Liverpool 5.30 pm (Sky Sports 1)

• 23-08-2013 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Early distraction ;)

(I'm using the first meeting from last season to illustrate the squad and formation changes in 9 months)

When these two met for the first time last season (at Anfield), it turned out to be a bit of a red letter day for Villas new striker. Although LFC started the game well enough they didn't score and its fair to say they were the first side to get properly "Benteked" as the ex-Genk man took control of the central channel of the pitch and cast the LFC defensive shield aside with his powerful running. At the time it looked like an anomaly but as the season went on Benteke's quality would become more and more obvious and consistent ending the season with 19 goals. For Liverpool it illustrated how the defence could be got at by a strong striker, something that would be shown again quickly by Stoke. It was an excellent away win for Villa.

This was the line up that day (and the boards.ie match thread)

34y6xdx.jpg

The possession stat that day was 61/39 in Liverpools favour with 16/6 shots on target. Since early 2013 LFC possession is typically around 52/3% (though Fulham allowed 65%!) and the side is more direct in its approach due mainly to Daniel Sturridge.

Most likely Liverpool team for tomorrow I'd say.

The Mig
    Johnson-Toure-Agger-Enrique
    Lucas-Gerrard
    Hendo (wandering)
    Aspas
    Coutinho
    Sturridge

Jones, Wisdom, Skrtel, Allen, Borini, Ibe, Sterling

I'll let those more familiar with Villa write about them :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Agbonlahor will have a big say this time round.
    If Liverpool can keep on the pressure but also contain the break from midfield from Villa then I predict a tight Liverpool win.

1-2

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Genuinely have no idea how this will go. I predict 4 goals or more though, so some entertainment for the neutrals at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Villa to continue the good start they've made. 2-1. Benteke with both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Should be plenty of goals anyway. If Benteke and one of Agbonlahor and Weimann play well then can't see beyond a Villa win, however only Gabby has been at the races so far this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Looking forward to it, evenly matched I think. Don't fancy our chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

2-1 to Villa. Benteke with 2, one of which is a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If Coutinho shows up can't see beyond a Liverpool win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MagicIRL wrote: »
    1-1 to Villa. Benteke with 2, one of which is a penalty.

..and the other an own goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Villa are surely due a clean sheet especially if Okore starts. They will win 2-0 with Weimann scoring the first with Tonev adding a second late on coming off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Villa deserved something against us this is the first home game this season theyll be well up for it and are an improvement on last years Villa. 2-1 home win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Villa shat all over my trip to Anfield last year and I haven't a good feeling about this one either.

Villa are a good counter-attacking team but with them being at home they probably won't sit back as much. Hard one to call.

Should be a few goals. Draw or Villa win methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wow. It really is hard to fathom how Villa won that game last year, fielding the above team. Really shows how much Benteke was carrying affairs.

As Mike points out, Villa have since cast aside the 5-3-2 formation which had papered over a few cracks - namely the lack of any real presence in the centre of the field - until it came unglued in the very next fixture away to Chelsea.

A combination of new blood, players returning from injury and players finding their feet in the EPL allowed Villa to close out the remainder of the season, and commence the present season, in a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1.

All personnel being fit, expect Villa to line out with the team that faced Chelsea on Wednesday night. The central midfield trio of Westwood, El-Ahmadi and Delph will remain very narrow, which will give Liverpool space out wide. Coutinho could really prosper here. However Gabby and Weimann are very industrious wide forwards, who will track back where needed - usually quite often.

And Mourinho can take a running jump, Villa don't simply punt the ball from keeper to Beneteke in every move; yes, we mix things up and shift the tempo by going more direct at times, but all players (bar maybe Gabby) are adept passers and movers, and they have carved plenty of teams apart with some very nice football this calendar year. Lowton and Luna will get forward, adding extra width and in the former case a long shot and early, deep crossing threat. Delph is also getting more and more competent at rampaging forward and taking on men in the middle of the field, in addition to shooting from distance.

So yeah, should be an interesting game. Certainly goals to be had and if I didn't live in the fascistic nanny state crap hole that is Italy, I'd be able to go online and get an idea of what the price is for both teams to score, as this could be a very handy earner (it was near evens against Chelsea).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neil3030 wrote: »

So yeah, should be an interesting game. Certainly goals to be had and if I didn't live in the fascistic nanny state crap hole that is Italy, I'd be able to go online and get an idea of what the price is for both teams to score, as this could be a very handy earner (it was near evens against Chelsea).

on PP its 1.57 4/7.

mike65 wrote: »
    on PP its 1.57 4/7.

Just got a heads up that it's 1.66 on BF; (~1.63 after commission).

I'll be on that one, anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Weird seeing so many people so confident of a Villa result against Liverpool. Liverpool aren't the greatest they have ever been or anything but this will be a tough game and I wouldn't be too dissapointed if Villa can get a point from this game especially after having the extra game in midweek and all 3 of the opening fixtures being against very tough opposition (Arsenal, Chelsea & now Liverpool).

gotta agree with Neil though looking at that Villa lineup from last seasons meet up it really is hard to believe Villa took the 3 points. Hopefully Benteke can be as effective again this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Villa-v-Liverpool-1988760.jpg

Aston Villa, who have made an encouraging start to the new season, welcome Liverpool to Villa Park.

Villa shocked Arsenal with a 3-1 victory at the Emirates on the opening day, and followed it up with an encouraging display against Chelsea on Wednesday night which could have ended differently only for a few suspect refereeing decisions. Villa look a different side this season, and Paul Lambert has them playing aggressive counter attacking football. Benteke has picked up where he left off last season, with 3 goals in his opening 2 games. He is bound to cause problems for the Liverpool defence.

Liverpool, while impressive for spells last week against Stoke, just about stuttered over the line with a 1-0 win. New boy Simon Mignolet pulled off a penalty save in the dying seconds to rescue all three points. However, the result papers over alot of the cracks that are still apparent since last season. The defence still looks shaky while the finishing up front still isn't what it should be, only 1 goal from 25 shots. It must be said that Begovic had an outstanding game and this contributed to Liverpool's woes in front of goal.

This will be a very close encounter. It's an important game for Rodgers and Liverpool, with alot of fans bewildered with the lack of first team signings. A loss in this game will only increase the pressure and David Moyes' Manchester United await next week. Villa on the other hand will be looking to continue their good performances and make amends for their mid week loss against Chelsea.

Expected Line Ups:

Aston-Villa-v-Liverpool-P-001.jpg

Note: First match thread, so be gentle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Heading to this tomorrow and I fully expect a result from Villa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

enough effort put into your first match thread OP so merged instead of deleted with Mike's original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Villa shat all over my trip to Anfield last year and I haven't a good feeling about this one either.

Villa are a good counter-attacking team but with them being at home they probably won't sit back as much. Hard one to call.

Should be a few goals. Draw or Villa win methinks.

Hopefully they dont sit back and we nab them with a few counters. We just need to keep Benteke shackled and not give away silly penos.

Liverpool have a better first 11 and hopefully put away the chances they get. Corner watch, 6/7+ for Liverpool. Toure with a goal from a corner, Aspa's with a goal inside the box and Sturridge with a goal also.. .

1-3 for Liverpool, with Lambert giving out about the ref...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mada999 wrote: »
    Hopefully they dont sit back and we nab them with a few counters. We just need to keep Benteke shackled and not give away silly penos.

Liverpool have a better first 11 and hopefully put away the chances they get. Corner watch, 6/7+ for Liverpool. Toure with a goal from a corner, Aspa's with a goal inside the box and Sturridge with a goal also.. .

1-3 for Liverpool, with Lambert giving out about the ref...

You're gonna jinx it.

• Advertisement

Nope I'm confident we will avenge last year.... :)... maybe not 1-3 but i'll be happy with a 0-1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can't see either team keep a clean sheet, I'd be happy with 1-1.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

looking forward to seeing this Villa side again,
    2-1 to them.
    Lambert doing a solid job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If Liverpool use the wings they are gonna get chances, was shocked Chelsea didn't use that approach more because it's certainly not Villa's strongest part of the team defensively. Hard to not see Villa creating chances though, hopefully Gabby can keep on this sudden realisation that he can actually take on and beat players, its only taken about 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

2-2 for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Could be 2 or 3 to Villa, I'd take 1-0 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Corholio wrote: »
    hopefully Gabby can keep on this sudden realisation that he can actually take on and beat players, its only taken about 10 years.

it's incredible isn't it? he looks a different player

Nope I'm confident we will avenge last year.... :)... maybe not 1-3 but i'll be happy with a 0-1 :)

People seem to be forgetting that Liverpool won this particular fixture last season.

to be exact and precise - we will avenge our defeat from last season...

• Advertisement

to be exact and precise - we will avenge our defeat from last season...

We already did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Benteke hatrick Villa win 3-2

we can reavenge avenge the defeat by Villa last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

The only thing I'll predict about todays game is both teams will score.

Villa to counter avenge Liverpool's avenging :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Should be a great game as Liverpool under Rodgers should play a very attacking game with Couthino & Sturridge who will look to link up, but it will be very risky playing a highline against Benteke & Agbonlahor who will hit liverpool hard on the counter. But i feel possession will be the key for Liverpool, And i have really been impressed with Kolo Toure in the reds back line, And him and Benteke should have a great duel today.
    My Prediction Aston Villa 1 Liverpool 2.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I think it'll be a high scoring draw, 2-2 probably, but since a lot of people think Villa will win this, I'll go with Liverpool 2-1. Toure and Sturridge with ours and Benteke for Villa.

Also Benteke @ 6/1, Sturridge @ 6/1 or Inho @ 7/1 for MOTM please. Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If Villa continue on with their very good early season form, them being very unlucky against Chelsea, I can see this being a 2-1 Villa win, the two scored by you-know-who. That's probably the most likely result, or a scored draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Won't be easy for Liverpool. Villa are perfectly set up to counter attack possession football. Expecting a villa win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think tiredness will be a factor. It's early enough in the season for Villa to be playing their third game in seven days.

Think tiredness will be a factor. It's early enough in the season for Villa to be playing their third game in seven days.

Villa could have the edge in match sharpness with two good battles against better teams than Liverpool. While the Liverpool Stoke game was played with the intensity of a pre season friendly for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Villa could have the edge in match sharpness with two good battles against better teams than Liverpool. While the Liverpool Stoke game was played with the intensity of a pre season friendly for the most part.

Can't say I agree with that at all, I thought it was a cracking match.

Pre-seasoners tend to be dull and slow, Stoke vs LIverpool was anything but that.

As for this match, it's hard to predict.

I do think Liverpool will create more chances and have more attacking possession. It's all about at least matching Villa when it comes to defending properly and being clinical in front of goal. That's where the question mark is.

I'd go for 2-1 Liverpool

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

o_0

If you genuinely think that, you didn't watch the game. Or you are possibly basing your opinion on MOTD highlights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Liverpool Vs Stoke , was a high intensity match.

All the commentators were lauding the fact that it was going at such a good pace the entire game. They thought it was the best season opener in many years.

I only watched the first half, Liverpool were very comfortable for the most part and carved Stoke open at will. It was not like a usual challenge you'd get from a Stoke team. And if not for Begovic the match would have been over early. It probably was a decent tempo but was nowhere near as competitive as Villa's games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

liverpool to win by late goal, 3-2, gerard with the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I only watched the first half, Liverpool were very comfortable for the most part and carved Stoke open at will. It was not like a usual challenge you'd get from a Stoke team. And if not for Begovic the match would have been over early. It probably was a decent tempo but was nowhere near as competitive as Villa's games.

Arsenal were pure ****e last week. They weren't competitive at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I think it'll be a high scoring draw, 2-2 probably, but since a lot of people think Villa will win this, I'll go with Liverpool 2-1. Toure and Sturridge with ours and Benteke for Villa.

Also Benteke @ 6/1, Sturridge @ 6/1 or Inho @ 7/1 for MOTM please. Ta.

Any goalkeeper to be MOTM 16/1
    I'm looking at you Guzman.
    I'll have a 5er on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

hoping pool win it late with villa tiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If kolo can get to grips with benteke liverpool could win, if not he'll rip us apart again.

If i was betting i would go for 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fancy us to win this one. Liverpool off the back of a good win, and Villa undoubtedly tired after two tough games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement