Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Liverpool 5.30 pm (Sky Sports 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Headshot wrote: »
    Touré has been a brilliant buy for pool I have to say

He has, and its been a mild surprise to me and a total shock to some! :p He's rarely been caught for pace so far while tending to attract the ball to his head. Like Sami used to do.

FT 0-1

Phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Some amount of moaning in here.

We dominated in the first half, playing some good football against a team many thought we would struggle against or worse!

Just like the opening game, there are more positives than negatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

deeeeeeee****kkkkkkkkinnnnnnnlighteddddddddddddddddd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Headshot wrote: »
    Touré has been a brilliant buy for pool I have to say

Wasn't he on a free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Great result. The best thing you could say about the 2nd half performance is that we defended well, everything else was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Good :)

I need a smoke or two now :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Well done. Gritty performance. Maximum points. We need to work on the high balls tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

oh no im delighted with the win,

but i just cant take this watching 1-0 stuff...me heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

101001 wrote: »
    We haven't done 1-0's in years.... I'll take em.

You would say that.

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Good :)

I need a smoke or two now :o

thought i had smoked me last one at half time, but i might nip down to the shop for one last box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Corholio wrote: »
    Lol Yes he did. Look where the ball goes, the touch is pretty clear

The was Sturridges touch not the keeper watch it again in slow motion

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Was Toure the only one who threw his hands up and celebrated at the final whistle!? Lol

I'd say he was personally delighted in his performance, Benteke was shackled for most of the match by him.. in a non Rodgers - Allen kinda way of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

5 points and 5 goals better off than at thisstage last season. These are the games we were drawing last season, not winning.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

T-K-O wrote: »

We dominated in the first half, playing some good football against a team many thought we would struggle against or worse!

The main positive is we won !!!!!!!! A year ago and we would have never won that game !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Definitely. 6 pts from the opening 2 games is very good.

We haven't really played well yet though.

I'm sure we'll raise our game against Utd next week but we'll bloody well have to to stand a chance.

Lucas had an excellent game except that he got caught on the ball far too often. Must've happened 5 or 6 times. That's not good enough. Against a better team we could've seriously been punished.

after a few minutes of cooling down though, how many times have we had games like that and dropped points...yeah..thats better

The main positive is we won !!!!!!!! A year ago and we would have never won that game !!!!!!

The first half was full of positives but I agree. A win is a win.

IMO, this season, thus far, the lads look more comfortable in the 'new system'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Mingolet saved us again today
    Great shotstopper
    Needs to work on the crosses obviously

Gbear wrote: »
    Definitely. 6 pts from the opening 2 games is very good.

We haven't really played well yet though.

I'm sure we'll raise our game against Utd next week but we'll bloody well have to to stand a chance.

Lucas had an excellent game except that he got caught on the ball far too often. Must've happened 5 or 6 times. That's not good enough. Against a better team we could've seriously been punished.

Lots to work on but 6pts in the bag is a great start. We need re-enforcements..

• Advertisement

also...i love Sturridge's demeanor and comments after the match...like on the pitch he looks arrogant but class...

then he gets off the pitch and he's totally different..really like this guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Very happy with the result!

Second half was sloppy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

my heart rate is only after coming down now.

The first half was full of positives but I agree. A win is a win.

IMO, this season, thus far, the lads look more comfortable in the 'new system'

I do agree with you the point of we look less comfortable but I hope this is a new doggedness we are starting to show . Last season was pure torture for the fact we played great but couldn't win .

I'll have a loyalty card in a cardiac ward if games keep going like this.

Great win though. Sturridge was excellent all over the field. Gerard's defending was top class and mignolet was there when we needed him. No way we would have had 3 points from that game last year. Toure also deserves a mention, deserves his place in the team 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

SlickRic wrote: »
    my heart rate is only after coming down now.

Just imagine when our boy suarez comes back? haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

No real complaints from a Villa point of view, about the result anyway. Playing Bacuna was our downfall, no real need for him to be in there at all. I think it'd have been a different game had he not been in the starting XI. We were dreadful in the first half, but a bit better in the second. Two great saves from Mignolet kept Benteke out, but overall we didn't really create enough. I think Liverpool got it spot on the way they approached the game, but for some reason stepped off the gas a little from the middle onwards.

Absolutely no chance Villa will be down around the bottom again this year anyway. We look a different side, and if we can just get that link between the midfield and the attack sorted, I think we'll be just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

COYVB wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance Villa will be down around the bottom again this year anyway. We look a different side, and if we can just get that link between the midfield and the attack sorted, I think we'll be just fine
    Agreed. As a Pool fan was very relieved to hear the final whistle. Plenty of teams will come a cropper at Villa Park this season and I definitely don't expect a repeat of any 8-0 scorelines there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

No real complaints from a Villa point of view, about the result anyway. Playing Bacuna was our downfall, no real need for him to be in there at all. I think it'd have been a different game had he not been in the starting XI. We were dreadful in the first half, but a bit better in the second. Two great saves from Mignolet kept Benteke out, but overall we didn't really create enough. I think Liverpool got it spot on the way they approached the game, but for some reason stepped off the gas a little from the middle onwards.

Someone earlier in the thread criticised Sturridge for motm and nominated Bacuna. Twilight zone stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I am pie wrote: »
    Someone earlier in the thread criticised Sturridge for motm and nominated Bacuna. Twilight zone stuff.

He got MOTM in the stadium. Couldn't believe it. Was very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CSF wrote: »
    He got MOTM in the stadium. Couldn't believe it. Was very poor.

They always give it to a home player, like when a young dutch team hammered us in Lansdowne Road 4-0 a few years back and they gave a mortified Paddy Kenny MOTM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I was surprised El Ahmadi didnt start. Villa looked a lot more fluid in attack once he came on. You have the makings of a very very good side. 2nd half was very impressive. No worries about relegation for you this year i think

GTR63 wrote: »
    They always give it to a home player, like when a young dutch team hammered us in Lansdowne Road 4-0 a few years back and they gave a mortified Paddy Kenny MOTM.

I would have given it to a Villa player too. Over 90 mins were the better team, but definitely not Bacuna.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I would have given it to a Villa player too. Over 90 mins were the better team, but definitely not Bacuna.

How can they possibly be the better team if they lost?

NoelJ wrote: »

That does happen however Villa were not the better team today. Not even close

• Advertisement

NoelJ wrote: »

****in hell, who gave this chap an Internet connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In fairness there is no way it can be said that Villa were the better team over 90 mins when they were completely dominated in the 1st half. They were the better team in the second and can take confidence from the fact that they are not too far from Liverpool's level. One or two quality signings and time will see them improve further.

In fairness there is no way it can be said that Villa were the better team over 90 mins when they were completely dominated in the 1st half. They were the better team in the second and can take confidence from the fact that they are not too far from Liverpool's level. One or two quality signings and time will see them improve further.
    I felt Villa were more dominant in the 2nd than Liverpool were in the 1st.

If anyone was watching MOTD there, think those stats just proved my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

It was more how comfortable Liverpool were in the first half while they still had some dangerous crosses in the second half which don't make stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If anyone was watching MOTD there, think those stats just proved my point.

****in hell, who told this guy statistics tell the whole story?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    ****in hell, who told this guy statistics tell the whole story?

Nobody, I was at the game so worked off that too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Personally thought that Mignolet should have gotten MoM, I think he was the difference in that game moreso than anybody else. Sturridge's goal was quite excellent but overall I thought Mignolet was the most important player on the pitch.

The only thing is that while Liverpool are off to a great start, and that is the most important for every club, I thought the football they played was not very attractive or entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good 3 points for Liverpool. I fancied Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

****in hell, who gave this chap an Internet connection?

So Villa were the better team but lost 1-0? Only one stat matters at the end of the day and that's the scoreline.

A team can't be better and lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

eagle eye wrote: »
    The only thing is that while Liverpool are off to a great start, and that is the most important for every club, I thought the football they played was not very attractive or entertaining.

Think Villa had a part to play in that. Before the goal Liverpool were in control without creating too many chances. After the goal they sat back with the hope of catching Villa on the counter. But Villa didn't go all out for the equaliser to the point of leaving themselves vulnerable...so both teams looked sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Take it on the chin fella, the mighty reds were and are the better team. I hope Benteke finds his way out of Toure's pocket before your next game in three weeks time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

aramush wrote: »
    Take it on the chin fella, the mighty reds were and are the better team. I hope Benteke finds his way out of Toure's pocket before your next game in three weeks time!

Must have been a hole in his pocket when Toure lost him and Mignolet brilliantly saved his shot.

Regardless, Villa were shocking first half. Need to sort out starting matches at home, will be punished even more by better teams if they dont start playing until second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

If villa hadent the chelsea game midweek they would have gotten something out of that game, they practically played 45 minutes as the first half was so pedestrian compared to the 2nd. They are certainly no pushovers compared to last season and will do well for themselves. As a lfc fan i was delighted with winning an ugly game and being able to see it out. Those were the games we lost/drew last season

aramush wrote: »

I get that there is an element of jest in your post but there'd have to be, it was Mignolet and not Toure who saved Liverpool twice from being just another victim to the beast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement