Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Liverpool 5.30 pm (Sky Sports 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If we win today, Liverpool that is, it will leave us with a ppg this season of 3.0. If we can keep that up, surely we are in with a chance of pipping Spurs to 4th.
    Although considering they have AVB, they could top that ppg tally and have the players to do that.

Should be a good game. Villa were very impressive against Chelsea and despite Liverpool's win in the opener, they are still vulnerable to a quick break through the middle.
    Liverpool need to score early and for the players to be more clinical.
    I honestly think it's Villa's game to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    If we win today, Liverpool that is, it will leave us with a ppg this season of 3.0. If we can keep that up, surely we are in with a chance of pipping Spurs to 4th.
    Although considering they have AVB, they could top that ppg tally and have the players to do that.

I think you need to take a look at your maths again... if liverpool keep up a ppg of 3.0 they'll win the league by virtue of winning every match. And how do you propose spurs top liverpools 3.0 ppg? given that they'd have lost twice to liverpool (and the fact that it's impossible to get more than 3 points per game)

[/uberpedant]

:P

COYVB wrote: »
    I think you need to take a look at your maths again... if liverpool keep up a ppg of 3.0 they'll win the league by virtue of winning every match. And how do you propose spurs top liverpools 3.0 ppg? given that they'd have lost twice to liverpool (and the fact that it's impossible to get more than 3 points per game)

[/uberpedant]

:P

Simple. One reason. AVB and Solaldo.

Wait... that's a serious answer? You reckon Spurs can get MORE than 3 points per game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I have absolutely no idea how this game is going to go.

It's far to early to have a sense of what Liverpool are going to be like this season.

It does appear that Villa are a much better side than last season. With the horrible start they've been given I'd imagine they'd be happy enough with any points at all from their opening 3 games. Winning today would give them a really solid base on which to build a season challenging for european places.

I'm not convinced they'd have enough strength in depth to pull it off though. Very shallow squad. It does seem pretty clear that if Benteke got injured they'd be seriously ****ed. Agbonlahor is grand but he's not going to score 15+ league goals.

Gbear wrote: »
    Agbonlahor is grand but he's not going to score 15+ league goals.

It's a front 3, Weimann and Agbonlahor are good for 10-12 each. The problem is we don't score enough from midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's a front 3, Weimann and Agbonlahor are good for 10-12 each. The problem is we don't score enough from midfield

That's fine so long as Benteke stays fit. And I have no particular reason to believe he wont. But it's somewhat precarious.

Wait... that's a serious answer? You reckon Spurs can get MORE than 3 points per game?

There's bonus points for honours Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

And what have both proved in the league?
    AVB was sacked by chelsea and fell out with players.
    Soldaldo unproven, yes he scores lots of goals in la liga, but he's 28 and he never made it at real mardid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Have you not heard of the new bonus point rule? Dude it's been all over the news all summer. Have you been in a cave?

Gbear wrote: »
    That's fine so long as Benteke stays fit. And I have no particular reason to believe he wont. But it's somewhat precarious.

There's also helenius to come in. Similar scoring record to benteke in a similar league before joining, and regarded as a better finisher than benteke (though the chances of being even half the player are slim to none). So he's an unknown quantity. Did very well in preseason though

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Soldaldo unproven, yes he scores lots of goals in la liga, but he's 28 and he never made it at real mardid.

And bizarrely, they opted not to spend the same amount on benteke when it would've gotten him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

There's also helenius to come in. Similar scoring record to benteke in a similar league before joining, and regarded as a better finisher than benteke (though the chances of being even half the player are slim to none). So he's an unknown quantity. Did very well in preseason though

Can't wait until Villa play a 4-2-4 against weaker opposition with Helenius and Benteke being flanked by Weimann and Gabby.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

And what have both proved in the league?
    AVB was sacked by chelsea and fell out with players.

A lot of mangers were sacked at Chelsea. Roman wanted a new brand of football with a younger core and got sacked for doing so. A few players at the club weren't going to give Villas Boas the time of day.

Soldado was never ever going to be given a chance at Real Madrid like many Real Madrid youth players were never given a chance.

Anyway, this is OT so I'll stop :)

Can't wait until Villa play a 4-2-4 against weaker opposition with Helenius and Benteke being flanked by Weimann and Gabby.

Not sure we'll ever see that TBH, even a weaker side would dominate that lineup by playing 5 in the middle

• Advertisement

And bizarrely, they opted not to spend the same amount on benteke when it would've gotten him

Nothing bizarrely about it all, sure they are getting Bale. He's ment to be good i hear.

Any goalkeeper to be MOTM 16/1
    I'm looking at you Guzman.
    I'll have a 5er on that.

I've been raking it in over the past year and a bit in this market and trust me, it's rare enough a keeper wins MOTM.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    A lot of mangers were sacked at Chelsea. Roman wanted a new brand of football with a younger core and got sacked for doing so. A few players at the club weren't going to give Villas Boas the time of day.

Soldado was never ever going to be given a chance at Real Madrid like many Real Madrid youth players were never given a chance.

Anyway, this is OT so I'll stop :)

But if he was all that, surley he would have made it at real? no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Sturridge, Coutinho and Aspas should be too much for the Villa defence to handle
    Obviously we need to keep Benteke from getting chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Should be a good game. Villa were very impressive against Chelsea and despite Liverpool's win in the opener, they are still vulnerable to a quick break through the middle.
    Liverpool need to score early and for the players to be more clinical.
    I honestly think it's Villa's game to lose.

Once Mata and Ozil are signed it should be enough to counteract the AVB/Soldado effect.

• Advertisement

Nothing bizarrely about it all, sure they are getting Bale. He's ment to be good i hear.

Spurs are signing Bale? That was a short stay at Madrid!

But if he was all that, surley he would have made it at real? no.

I've answered this above..

They don't give their youngsters a proper chance if any at all. Real opt for spending stupid money on foreign players or Spanish players from other clubs because they're daft. In some cases, they end up selling them and then buying them back. Reference Arbeloa and Carvajal as two recent examples of this..

Mata never made it Real if you want someone a little closer to home so to speak. Javi Garcia is another one who is at Man City too.

I wouldn't hold it against Soldado not making it at Real whatsoever.

On a new contract? no Chance.!
    Spurs won't replace his match winning games.

You just said they were signing him ;)

(Note: When I said it was bizarre that they didn't sign Benteke for the price of Soldado, I was talking about Spurs, who instead bid way too low then walked away and spent almost double what they bid on him on a 28 year old)

You just said they were signing him ;)

(Note: When I said it was bizarre that they didn't sign Benteke for the price of Soldado, I was talking about Spurs, who instead bid way too low then walked away and spent almost double what they bid on him on a 28 year old)

Where did i say this :confused:

In any way this is a villa/liverpool match thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Unchanged for LFC.

#LFC XI v #AVFC: Mignolet - Johnson, Toure, Agger Enrique - Lucas Gerrard - Henderson, Aspas, Coutinho - Sturridge

Liverpool XI vs Villa: Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Aspas, Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

5starpool wrote: »
    Unchanged for LFC.

#LFC XI v #AVFC: Mignolet - Johnson, Toure, Agger Enrique - Lucas Gerrard - Henderson, Aspas, Coutinho - Sturridge

Our strongest team until Suarez gets back. Should make for a good game.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Once Mata and Ozil are signed it should be enough to counteract the AVB/Soldado effect.

They will certainly give us a boast. Difficult to see where they will fit though bar injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As I called it on the OP :) (no genius required really! :pac:)

Liverpool subs: Jones, Wisdom, Cissokho, Allen, Alberto, Sterling, Borini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They will certainly give us a boast. Difficult to see where they will fit though bar injuries.

True...but even their presence on the bench would translate into a PPG bump of about .5....bringing us up to 3.5ppg .

Liverpool XI vs Villa: Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Aspas, Sturridge

Villa XI vs Liverpool: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, Bacuna, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Delph, Benteke, Weimann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Bacuna in for KEA, more pace for more counter attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Turtyturd wrote: »
    True...but even their presence on the bench would translate into a PPG bump of about .5....bringing us up to 3.5ppg .

Wouldn't be against loaning them to Napoli for the season either. Can't have players on £200k/week sitting on the bench, even if they do get us 3.5ppg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Bad feeling about this one. There will be goals and I think Villa will nick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bacuna for El Ahmadi is an interesting one. Good to see us attacking teams at home, in setup at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Wouldn't be against loaning them to Napoli for the season either. Can't have players on £200k/week sitting on the bench, even if they do get us 3.5ppg.

Do we have to wait for Suarez to be in the squad before we get his +30goals to our goal difference?

Ah but finishing top of the wages saving league gets an extra point per game in the league, bringing it up to 4.00 ppg, which surely would push us just ahead of Spurs even with them doing hons maths and answering all questions in Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Villa XI vs Liverpool: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, Bacuna, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Delph, Benteke, Weimann.

No El Ahmadi and Bacuna starting? Villa look like they are coming to fight rather than to sit back and counter.

Decent looking team.

Will be watching to see how Okore looks. Mentioned in the Villa thread earlier in the week that I thought he was not quite ready to be a starter but that I thought he had a lot of potential, so he will most likely turn in a top performance today to spite me:)

Actually feel a bit more confident about the game now that Bacuna is a starter, as I would be more worried about a deep sitting counter attacking Villa team than one that looks to have an attacking more open line up. Be very surprised if either team avoids conceding today.

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    Do we have to wait for Suarez to be in the squad before we get his +30goals to our goal difference?

Ah here forgot about that.
    Also does the amount of super threads we to thorough affect our ppg or is it more our tpm that will see the benefit?
    Either way lads I feel it our year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

mike65 wrote: »
    As I called it on the OP :) (no genius required really! :pac:)

Liverpool subs: Jones, Wisdom, Cissokho, Allen, Alberto, Sterling, Borini.

Really hope Borini will get some time today as well. Would love to see him get better and better.
    Cissokho should get some game time too as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Really hope Borini will get some time today as well. Would love to see him get better and better.
    Cissokho should get some game time too as well.

We all would but it's not gonna happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

kfallon wrote: »
    We all would but it's not gonna happen!

There's hope yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There's hope yet!

There's not really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Villa have a very average midfield
    We should dominate here hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not much enthusiasm in that clapping...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Whoever decided it was a good idea to have fans in the studio needs sacking.

As does Jamie Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If Villa maintain their performances from the first 2 matches they'll have a strong chance of the 3 points.

I predict a high intensity game.

Villa have a very average midfield

Someone's not been watching Westwood and Delph very much this calendar year...

Where did i say this :confused:

Here:

^ In reference to Spurs not signing Benteke

^ Your reply

^ My reply

• Advertisement
Advertisement