Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Liverpool 5.30 pm (Sky Sports 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Toure is a boss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Savage save.

Mingolet on high balls makes me nervous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Toure looks like a shrewd piece of business so far. He's handling the movement of Benteke very well.

Only worry is Mignolet from crosses. Looks a bit suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Kolo is like a fish outta water jumping all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bit of sustained Villa pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Really hanging on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Villa players touches today have been heavy most of the time. Cant be that bad in second half again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Toure must learn he can't be the one to try and head the ball clear every time.

communication at the back needs to be better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool are genuinely the worst team in the league when dealing with a bouncing ball in their own area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

rarnes1 wrote: »

Flappy McFlapperson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Decent first half by pool , in control for first 35 mins, Vila had last 10 mins, think we're value for the half time lead.
    Like to see a 2nd early in 2nd half

I cack myself every time a ball gets put into our box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Lucas still a liability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Three tough games with the minority of the possession may be taking its toll on Villa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Bringing Bacuna in definitely looking like it's thrown the whole shape of Villa off. I'd expect to see him replaced at half time, hopefully for Sylla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

great by liverpool bar last few mins .. more of the same please, win 2nd half 1 nil aswell

Very happy with that first half.

A goal up away from home against a decent team. Playing well for the most part, and although this Liverpool team needs a few quality additions the way the team is playing/set up is pleasing to see.

More of the same in the second half and it will, well it should, keep us happy in the LFC superthread for a few hours anyway. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

rarnes1 wrote: »

Hes a flapper. Can see Villa scoring or getting a peno in this game easily

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Flappy McFlapperson

At least he is able to make actual saves!

Well then, pretty pretty football, like Evens era with the footballing triangles of death pattern play but very little actual cutting edge.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lucas still a liability

You are either blind or insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very nervous still. High balls into box seem to confuse the Liverpool defence. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Lucas still a liability

Really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Sturridge always switches off after he scores. Our front 3 cannot hold onto it and allow support from midfield to arrive.

Barring the goal (which was excellent) Sturridge needs to contribute more. Hes strolling since he scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Game looks made for either Cissokho or Sterling to come on and attack their full-backs - especially as they will push more men forward second half.

Aspas and Coutinho haven't been great imo, but the midfield has been good

COYVB wrote: »
    Bringing Bacuna in definitely looking like it's thrown the whole shape of Villa off. I'd expect to see him replaced at half time, hopefully for Sylla

Yep said before kickoff that seeing him starting made me a bit more confident of getting a result.

El Ahmadi should, imo of course, have started alongside Delph and Westwood. Bacuna wanders a lot and does not offer anything by way of support to Westwood whereas El Ahmadi tends to pair up with Westwood and work very well in tandem with him.

As a Liverpool supporter I hope Bacuna plays the full 90 minutes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm glad Villa got in at just 1 down.
    They'll definitely be better in the 2nd half.

No way will we have it as easy in the second half, really should have went for a second while we were coasting. In saying that class half of football from us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

klose wrote: »
    No way will we have it as easy in the second half, really should have went for a second while we were coasting. In saying that class half of football from us

+1 agreed...they will come after us now hard in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I didn't think Liverpool were all that good tbh.

Villa were just a flaccid pile of ****e. Pathetic effort from them for most of that half.

Liverpool looking really comfortable and competent on the ball but there's no pace or intensity in their play.

Were there any shots on goal other than the Sturridge goal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep said before kickoff that seeing him starting made me a bit more confident of getting a result.

El Ahmadi should, imo of course, have started alongside Delph and Westwood. Bacuna wanders a lot and does not offer anything by way of support to Westwood whereas El Ahmadi tends to pair up with Westwood and work very well in tandem with him.

As a Liverpool supporter I hope Bacuna plays the full 90 minutes ;)

Yeah, KEA did well first two games. I just think Sylla will provide a bit of much needed bite that we're lacking, and hopefully kick the other lads on. Then around 60-65 I'd replace one of Gabby/Weimann (who've not really been at the races) with Tonev. He's potentially lethal from anywhere out as far as 40 yards with both feet, and with a bit of luck he might hit one of his trademark top corner rockets... the way we're playing it's about our only real chance of getting something, moment of inspiration from Benteke aside

Lucas still a liability

@AnfieldIndex: 1st Half Stats for @LucasLeiva87

Passes: 54/57 (most in game): 95% accuracy
    Tackles: 3/3: 100%
    Possession Won: 4
    Interceptions: 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Liverpool playing away from home totally bossed that first 30 mins, then dropped the tempo. Reminded me of the game last season when Villa looked awful until Benteke scored from nowhere. Fortunately Sturridge came up with a great finish.

Expect Villa to come out more this half they cannot play this park the bus style football when a goal down anymore. Will leave more space in behind, they play a tight line could get interesting there. I expect Villa to create a few chances and Liverpool will need another goal to win this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think halftime came at a good time for Liverpool funnily enough. Villa were getting up a head of steam and Sturridge, Henderson and Coutinho were already in the dressing rooms. Toure will give away some amount of fouls with his style of heading..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Gbear wrote: »
    I didn't think Liverpool were all that good tbh.

Villa were just a flaccid pile of ****e. Pathetic effort from them for most of that half.

Liverpool looking really comfortable and competent on the ball but there's no pace or intensity in their play.

Were there any shots on goal other than the Sturridge goal?
    To be honest I think there is a definite game plan of not committing too many players forward ahead of the ball! I think Villa lack the ability to break through us but could be very dangerous on the break!

Having said that I would like the front 3 to turn and go at the Villa defence a bit more rather than playing the ball backwards as they have been doing most the first half! However Villa will need to commit more forward which should open up a bit more space for coutinho/sturridge/aspas!

But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads....etc! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Poor call by linesman there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Whats Lowton up to there

Exaggerated the fall?.....his foot caught in his boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Aspas needs to buck up his ideas tbf. Coutinho trying, but getting kicked in every tackle. Lucas and Gerrard bossing it.

I can't decide if Enrique is a really good battler or if it's his own awkwardness that gets him into this situations in the first place. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

To put it in simple terms , Lucas = Beast !!!!!

Fair play Sturridge....I was expecting him to shoot.

Agger and Guzan clashing, but both up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

To put it in simple terms , Lucas = Beast !!!!!

All he has to do to be back at his absolute best is repeat these performances every game. In fairness, he has been consistently very good throughout preseason too.

D'fuq Agger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Agger bottled that

never a fúcking free.

Time to take Aspas off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

No way is that a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Aspas should come off. Red card a possibility I think